Backstrom

Threads
Reaction score
I prefer the top width tail light, not sure why they got rid of it for the refresh and I'm glad they (seem) to be bringing back the full width design for the Gen X. The Gen 9 tails are pretty vanilla looking IMO. It's curious they went through all this trouble to hide the new taillight design as both the concept and patent drawings are pretty widely publicized now and they made it no secret the design of the new tails.
Sponsored

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I like the full width tails as well. Hoping the hatch has them like the coupe (the sedan doesn't). Alot of honda's concepts and newer cars have the full width tails or look like they do (Odyssey, NSX, etc). Hoping its a trend that keeps going. Just like dodge has the race track tail lights honda could make the full width boomerang lights their thing.

civvie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
The window shape and trim do look similar from ILX.

Honda Civic 10th gen New Civic hatchback prototype spotted testing Si or Type R parts? [Updated w/ Video] {filename}

Honda Civic 10th gen New Civic hatchback prototype spotted testing Si or Type R parts? [Updated w/ Video] 04-2016-acura-ilx-fd-1

Tuttle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CBR600RR
Could they be saving the "boomerang" style full length lights for the high performance models, Si, Type R... The concept shown with those tail lights did look like it would be an Si or above. :dunno:

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Could they be saving the "boomerang" style full length lights for the high performance models, Si, Type R... The concept shown with those tail lights did look like it would be an Si or above. :dunno:
Yea, but we already know that the base civic coupes are getting the full length boomerang lights. The new pilot, while not full width, are boomerang shaped. The refreshed accord coupe has similar boomerang shaped LED tails now as well. Technically the new civic sedan has boomerangs too but they aren't full width which was a bit of a let down, but i suppose they are saving the more radical design cues for vehicles based more in style and less on practicality. It could have also been a cost saving decision.

The Sedan and Coupe civics have always had a similar price point, but the coupe comes standard with bigger wheels and bigger stereo than the sedan. Part of that is to offset the cost difference. They don't want the coupe to be too far below price compared to the sedan so they add a few minor feature upgrades over the base sedan to match pricing. Maybe with the full width LED lights on the coupe and not the sedan was a cost situation, because im sure the sedan would have looked great with full width tails too.

Tuttle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CBR600RR
They could decide to give the sedan and coupe more distinct looks. The sedan could be a more "vanilla" designed luxury model while the coupe gets a sportier look with the full boomerang lights, bigger wheels etc. I suspect they probably wouldn't just because of the cost savings of not making multiple rear end designs, but I personally would be okay with more aesthetic differentiation between coupe and sedan.

civvie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
They could decide to give the sedan and coupe more distinct looks. The sedan could be a more "vanilla" designed luxury model while the coupe gets a sportier look with the full boomerang lights, bigger wheels etc. I suspect they probably wouldn't just because of the cost savings of not making multiple rear end designs, but I personally would be okay with more aesthetic differentiation between coupe and sedan.
The rear end designs are already different anyway tho between the coupe sedan and hatchback.

CaptK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru XV Crosstek
The window shape and trim do look similar from ILX.

Honda Civic 10th gen New Civic hatchback prototype spotted testing Si or Type R parts? [Updated w/ Video] 04-2016-acura-ilx-fd-1

So are we really looking at an ILX with its rear section replaced with euro hatchback rear? Why go to the trouble of doing all this with the hatchback prototype when the coupe and sedan prototypes use their own bodies + camo for disguise.

randY49

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thetailpipe.com
Vehicle(s)
1988 CRX Si, 2015 Civic Si
Country flag
So are we really looking at an ILX with its rear section replaced with euro hatchback rear? Why go to the trouble of doing all this with the hatchback prototype when the coupe and sedan prototypes use their own bodies + camo for disguise.
ILX body only though. The engine/chassis will be 10th-gen equipment.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Because the hatch is still very very early in the building phase they most likely don't have an actual production ready body for the car yet. So to simulate weight and driving dynamics they build a similar car with other car pieces. Many other automakers do this as well as a first step in testing components for a car.

CaptK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru XV Crosstek
Because the hatch is still very very early in the building phase they most likely don't have an actual production ready body for the car yet. So to simulate weight and driving dynamics they build a similar car with other car pieces. Many other automakers do this as well as a first step in testing components for a car.
I see, that makes sense. :thumbsup:

I don't remember seeing this stage with the coupe and sedan. Any reason for that you think?

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I see, that makes sense. :thumbsup:

I don't remember seeing this stage with the coupe and sedan. Any reason for that you think?
They probably did, but they probably just used 9th gens or ILX to test so we never knew the difference. No reason to camo a car already on the road if you can't see the mechanicals they're testing.

OP
OP
administrator

administrator

Administrator
First Name
Admin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Updated September 4 with new photos of a caravan of similar prototypes, with current Type R in tow being benchmarked again.

Type-R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Fit Sport
Now there's an interesting photo! Probably means these prototypes are of the next Type R or at least has components of it that it's testing.
Sponsored