Admin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Updated September 4 with new photos of a caravan of similar prototypes, with current Type R in tow being benchmarked again.

Here's some more photos that we caught of what could be a mule for the next Type R Civic which can be seen here wearing red Brembo brakes and a three-center exhaust setup. Another clue that this is the next halo Civic is the fact that it was being shadowed by the current Type R -- being used for benchmarking purposes. The mule body still retains the Acura ILX front end seen in earlier prototypes - as the focus for now is likely on testing of the powertrain, chassis, suspension, brakes, wheels, etc.

Honda Civic 10th gen New Civic hatchback prototype spotted testing Si or Type R parts? [Updated w/ Video] {filename}

Honda Civic 10th gen New Civic hatchback prototype spotted testing Si or Type R parts? [Updated w/ Video] {filename}

Sponsored

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
The center exhaust tip looks like it is for a BOV dump. Doesn't seem to be part of the two outer exhaust cans.
Can anybody see if there are rear driveshafts on this car?

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
so weird... lets hope this is function over form for testing purposes and gets a more polished streamline look for the finished product. (in reference to the exhaust ports)

Emina

Threads
Reaction score
Is there any functional benefits for a smaller middle exhaust pipe? Looks wise it seems slapped together. I hope this is just a prototype issue. Besides that I'm really liking the way it looks especially from behind. Hotness!

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is there any functional benefits for a smaller middle exhaust pipe? Looks wise it seems slapped together. I hope this is just a prototype issue. Besides that I'm really liking the way it looks especially from behind. Hotness!
Don't put any stock into what it looks like now. It's purely a mule for testing with an ILX front half and cabin and the rear is just a current gen euro civic hatch. The finished model will literally look nothing like this.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
After thinking about my theory of it being a BOV dump, I realized that wouldn't be legal at least in the US to dump BOV gasses into the atmosphere untreated. Sooo.... maybe it is for a muffler bypass? Maybe they have a Sport Mode switch for the car that also activates a muffler bypass to make the exhaust louder? The middle tip definitely appears to not be part of the two larger mufflers. I can almost see a smaller muffler for that center exhaust.
BTW I like the way it looks...

VincentVega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth | 2012 Honda NC700X | 2002 Honda S2000 | 1992 Honda Civic VX
Did anyone else notice a possible FMIC?
Yes! It almost certainly looks like one in that head on shot. You can see it run across the whole length under the bumper.

After thinking about my theory of it being a BOV dump, I realized that wouldn't be legal at least in the US to dump BOV gasses into the atmosphere untreated. Sooo.... maybe it is for a muffler bypass? Maybe they have a Sport Mode switch for the car that also activates a muffler bypass to make the exhaust louder? The middle tip definitely appears to not be part of the two larger mufflers. I can almost see a smaller muffler for that center exhaust.
I think that would b awesome if they did that! It would make so much sense too for when you just want to drive around relaxed vs when you want to have a little fun.

I have a Fiat 500 Abarth right now, and as much as I love the sound of the (stock) loud exhaust, sometimes I wish it was quieter when not in sport mode.

Tuttle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CBR600RR
Way to notice that... this would be a creative way of giving the car extra sound in a sport mode instead of doing a valved exhaust system. Less complexity too since then we'd be talking about a single valve to activate/deactivate the bypass pipe instead of two valves total (one each for the outside pipes).

Viet_Racer

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Civic EM1
Country flag
Interesting thought and would make sense. That way you can have separate mild and wild sound modes.

Good seeing all 3 pipes are functional too. The worse are the cars with fake vanity pipes - like the Lexus IS-F with fake quad pipes.

Tap Out

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 CRV
Don't like the shape so thankfully it's not the actual body yet. Needs more sportiness and man is the car riding high. Hope that's just because this is a test mule too.

Someone needs to get a video of this, I'd like to hear what that exhaust sounds like.

Whoosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
I'd much prefer a 3 door hatch to a 5 door hatch but looks like so far they've only been testing the 5 door version? Hope there's a 3 door version also in the works. :bow: 5 door hatches just aren't as sporty.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'd much prefer a 3 door hatch to a 5 door hatch but looks like so far they've only been testing the 5 door version? Hope there's a 3 door version also in the works. :bow: 5 door hatches just aren't as sporty.
Honda did away with the 3 door variant hatch after the 8th gen. Just didn't sell as well. But honestly, they didn't look that different. The way honda shapes the back window and hides the handles in the door sill makes the 5 door look like a 3 door from a glance. This mule looks frumpy because it actually is a sedan body. I'm sure when the actual production body is shown it'll be just as sporty and handsome as a 3 door, it'll just have the extra doors with the hidden handles.

I don't see honda making another 3 door hatch because the 5 doors are going to be built and shipped in from the UK where they sell in much higher numbers. If there isn't a demand for a 3 door hatch there, they won't build it, thus it won't come here. And with the coupe body style here there really isn't a need for one to be built here either.
Sponsored