New Civic Hatchback EX-L - Warranty Advice

cchristian6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback
Hello everyone,

I just bought a new 2017 Civic Hatchback EX-L to replace my 2002 Civic. The hatchback is fantastic by the way, if anyone is thinking of buying one. Before I went to the dealer i did some research on average civic repair costs and decided that if I could get a 7-8 year warranty for ~$1000 I would go ahead and buy it. After haggling with the finance guy i ended up buying a 7yr/70k mile warranty for $1200 with a 50$ deductible (he initially quoted $2,500). The warranty is cancel-able within 30 days for a full refund, so I am now trying to decide whether it is worth the money, or not. It seems to have a lot of excluded items, but the most important parts (engine, trans, infotainment, etc) appears to be covered.

I'll post some more detailed information about the warranty below, but in general I am looking for advice on whether I should keep it or cancel it, and why. I dont know alot about the mechanics of newer cars, so I am not sure if what is actually covered is worth it. Any help is much appreciated.

------------------Warranty Info--------------------------
  • The company is called Ethos Administrative Services
  • Supposedly any certified Honda dealer will honor the warranty, not just the place I bought it.
  • My obligations (per the contract) are to do regular maintenance, check fluid levels, etc.
  • Their obligations are to "pay me or the repairer, for repair or replacement of covered parts.The replacement parts can be new, used, or remanufactured parts."
  • Policy covers all items except the following:
    • Paint/carpet
    • Trim
    • Air bags
    • Moldings/Bumpers
    • Upholstery
    • Exhaust system and catalytic converter
    • Brake rotors and drums
    • Batteries
    • Frame or structural separation
    • Belts
    • Coolant/heater/vacuum hoses
    • Distributor cap
    • Lenses
    • Light bulbs
    • Struts/shock absorbers
    • Weather stripping
    • Body panels
    • Thermostat
    • Glass
    • Tires and wheels
    • Battery cables
    • Spark plug wires
    • Physical damage
    • Normal fluid/oil/lubricant seepage
    • Manual/hydraulic clutch system
    • CV Joint boots
    • All maintenance and service items.

Honda Civic 10th gen New Civic Hatchback EX-L - Warranty Advice 80-20161130_123034_ce57e21977400b2fc7d70a213d9e4a0fe7e9111d
Sponsored

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
That sounds a little sketchy, I'd probably cancel it and just buy the Honda Care, which is like $600 for the same time period, if you buy from one of the places listed in the forum.

OP
OP

cchristian6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That sounds a little sketchy, I'd probably cancel it and just buy the Honda Care, which is like $600 for the same time period, if you buy from one of the places listed in the forum.
Thanks for the reply.

To be honest, I do not understand honda care. Is it something that any dealers sells? Is the warranty actually through Honda?

OP
OP

cchristian6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can get genuine Honda backed extended warranty (Honda Care) for about the same price (~$1200) from Saccucci https://www.saccuccihondacare.com/
Those prices are great from the quote they sent... Seems too good to be true almost. People here have purchased a warranty from them and had success using it?

huangd79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Those prices are great from the quote they sent... Seems too good to be true almost. People here have purchased a warranty from them and had success using it?
I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I am sure some members here have bought it. That's how I found out about Saccucci. Just do a search in the forum.

DjinTonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe Touring, silver.
Country flag
I saw only advantages going with Honda Care from a discount Honda dealer, over outlandishly priced, third-party and HC policies my finance guy was pushing. As mentioned, do a search here; no reason for another thread. Don't pay more than $1005 for the longest plan on a new Civic.

aquasurf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord Euro CU2
OP
OP

cchristian6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Years ago I looked at details of extended warranty plans for used car and wrote this:
http://startrade.altervista.org/Warranty.html. Some points may also apply to extended warranties for new cars.
Thanks for the post. I read through it and it seems that the warranties you studied are a bit different from the "Honda Care" warranty. The Honda Care warranty is exclusionary, so it includes everything that isnt specifically excluded. I've quoted that bit below.

The thing that worries me most about any car warranty, as you pointed out in your conclusion, is the bit about not covering anything that was caused by lack of maintenance on my part. So, if I am 1 mile late on an oil change and the engine goes out, will they reject my claim?

IV. WHAT IS NOT COVERED A. NEW, PRE-OWNED, CERTIFIED ADDITIONAL COVERAGE AND SENTINEL 3/45: Parts other than HONDA Genuine or AMERICAN HONDA authorized parts; wiper blades; battery (except for the nickel-metal hydride battery in hybrid vehicles); cables; steering wheel; belts; radiator hoses; heater hoses and vacuum hoses; spark plugs; plug wires; distributor cap and rotor; timing belt replacement when performed as routine maintenance; exhaust system; head pipes; tailpipes; catalytic converter; mufflers; hangers; heat shields; gaskets (except for the manifold block gasket and related fastening hardware); fuel tank straps; fuel hoses; brake system wear items such as drums/rotors or shoes/pads; clutch disc; clutch pressure plate; throw out bearing; external shift linkages; pilot bearing/bushing; glass; mirror glass; body parts; body structure (except for hood hinges, trunk hinges, door hinges and sliding door rollers); hood; fenders; doors; rear hatch; trunk lid; grille; panels; bright metal; sheet metal; paint (except for covered hinges painted to match the original vehicle color only); bumpers; moldings; lenses; bezels; bulbs (except for instrument panel illumination bulbs); High Intensity Discharge (H.I.D.) headlamps; sealed beams; fuses; body seals; weather-strips (except for window sash and window run channels); outside ornamentation; emblems; tires; valve stems; wheels; wheel covers/ornaments; rims; trim rings; caps; wheel studs; lug nuts; wheel locks; fastening/securing hardware for non-covered components; stripped or cross threaded fasteners (e.g., nuts, bolts, studs, screws, etc.); squeaks; rattles; buttons; carpet; dash pad; console; window handles; knobs; boots; pedals; pads; rearview mirror (except for electronic failure of the auto-dimming mirror); interior trim; upholstery; floor mats; electronic/audio accessories; navigational and security systems and cellular telephones other than AMERICAN Honda AUTHORIZED electronic / audio accessories/NAVIGATIONAL, DVD ENTERTAINMENT AND SECURITY SYSTEMS; Safety Restraint System fastening hardware; seat belts and airbag(s) deployed due to collision. If you believe there is a defect in these parts, please contact YOUR dealer immediately.
POWERTRAIN COVERAGE ONLY: Parts not listed in Article II, Section A.2. of this CONTRACT, including but not limited to parts other than HONDA Genuine or AMERICAN HONDA authorized parts.
SENTINEL SERVICES ONLY: Parts, except as provided in Article II, Sections C. through E.

Lunar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
Thanks for the post. I read through it and it seems that the warranties you studied are a bit different from the "Honda Care" warranty. The Honda Care warranty is exclusionary, so it includes everything that isnt specifically excluded. I've quoted that bit below.

The thing that worries me most about any car warranty, as you pointed out in your conclusion, is the bit about not covering anything that was caused by lack of maintenance on my part. So, if I am 1 mile late on an oil change and the engine goes out, will they reject my claim?
Unless you're extremely negligent, keeping receipts should be enough. Change your oil when it hits 15% and the rest of the fluids, filters and brakes when necessary. There's very little that needs to be done beyond that. They won't deny a claim because you didn't go to them for an oil change. But I also don't go to shaddy dealerships, so YMMV. If you can't manage to change your oil before it hits 0% then you shouldn't be driving the car IMO.
Sponsored