new car has small scratch marks ALL OVER CAR

Wyborowa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic coupe LX MT
Country flag
I'll take pics in the morning, but I only noticed when I was 2 hours away from dealer at a rest area (5 hour drive each way...) that the entire car had small scratches ALL over the car..as if someone tried to take a buffer to it DRY... it almost fits a circular pattern... or a dry rag on a dry car....

I bought the car across state.. I know my Honda warranty is good nation wide..correct?

The 3rd brake light up on the roof inside the car is detached and hanging...

I am very disappointed in it.. Honda better do something..

Last thing... on the coupe... it has the led lining the top of the trunk.. isn't it supposed to illuminate when you brake..?

Will post pics tomo...
Sponsored

corbygray528

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-Z
Country flag
From my understanding, the top of the coupe "brake light" along the trunk lid does not illuminate. It extends roughly to where it does on the sedan and the light fades out as it gets closer to the middle.

I don't have input on your other points other than I hope your dealer/Honda will take care of you. I hate to say it, but I'm not optimistic about them fixing the paint swirls. They could pretty easily just claim you did them yourself and you have no evidence against that. I hope that isn't the case though, and they do what they should for you.

OP
OP
Wyborowa

Wyborowa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic coupe LX MT
Country flag
From my understanding, the top of the coupe "brake light" along the trunk lid does not illuminate. It extends roughly to where it does on the sedan and the light fades out as it gets closer to the middle.

I don't have input on your other points other than I hope your dealer/Honda will take care of you. I hate to say it, but I'm not optimistic about them fixing the paint swirls. They could pretty easily just claim you did them yourself and you have no evidence against that. I hope that isn't the case though, and they do what they should for you.
i took a video when we stopped to show a chip in the hood... I texted the guy about it... told me to send pics... I got home 4 hours ago so it was dark already.. picked it up drive home, posted this now going to bed.

thats the other thing... mine doesn't seem to fade in the middle...

Shape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX-T
I'll take pics in the morning, but I only noticed when I was 2 hours away from dealer at a rest area (5 hour drive each way...) that the entire car had small scratches ALL over the car..as if someone tried to take a buffer to it DRY... it almost fits a circular pattern... or a dry rag on a dry car....

I bought the car across state.. I know my Honda warranty is good nation wide..correct?

The 3rd brake light up on the roof inside the car is detached and hanging...

I am very disappointed in it.. Honda better do something..

Last thing... on the coupe... it has the led lining the top of the trunk.. isn't it supposed to illuminate when you brake..?

Will post pics tomo...
I'm just guessing here, but, sounds to me like someone washed the car using a brush/wand at a local carwash..
(I no longer use a brush, I had no idea what damage they do)

OP
OP
Wyborowa

Wyborowa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic coupe LX MT
Country flag
so FINALLY a resolution... I'm dropping off the car next tuesday at my local dealer and for 2 days they are putting a special wash and wax on it... where they put a layer on and leave it on for a few hour... basically it's the "Honda Protection plan" they try to sell you when you buy the car for $500.00 $1,000.

I will get a loaner car as well... Thanks again Honda and Now I have to contact the dealership I bought it from and try to get them to ship me splash guards and touch up paint for all this hassle..

slowride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Type-R
Country flag
This is why I order my cars and give specific instructions not to PDI the car outside of safety points. When I take delivery you can still see the window sticker residue and suction cup marks from when they dropped the windshield in, along with the plastic still on the floor and trim panels.

The swirl marks are either from a touch car wash or a dealer worker who used a mitt or brush. I cannot stand swirls in the clear coat, I will say that.

Rawnerve1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 crv
Country flag
This is why I order my cars and give specific instructions not to PDI the car outside of safety points. When I take delivery you can still see the window sticker residue and suction cup marks from when they dropped the windshield in, along with the plastic still on the floor and trim panels.

The swirl marks are either from a touch car wash or a dealer worker who used a mitt or brush. I cannot stand swirls in the clear coat, I will say that.
I would have to agree about the swirl marks.. I had a black accord and I hated when the sun hit the paint. For now on I only buy white cars...

OP
OP
Wyborowa

Wyborowa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic coupe LX MT
Country flag
Does anyone know what exactly it is they Use at Honda dealerships to get rid of such scratches? I believe they are giving me the Honda Paint Protection plan to try and get all the small scratches out... but i'm wondering like what products they use, etc...

Deleted member 5421

Does anyone know what exactly it is they Use at Honda dealerships to get rid of such scratches? I believe they are giving me the Honda Paint Protection plan to try and get all the small scratches out... but i'm wondering like what products they use, etc...
Hi,

I just bought my 2016 Civic a couple weeks ago and have deep reading this forum. I decided to sign up just to be able to respond to your post in hopes of being able to help you.

Your issue is exactly why I told the dealer to NOT wash may car when I bought it. I used to professionally detail cars, and scratches done by the dealers was something I saw all too often. I won't even let them wash my car when I go to the dealer with a free hand wash, as the rags are usually dirty and they end up scratching your paint using dirty wash cloths. Even most dealer car detailers - even for luxury brands - are usually people who know little to nothing about properly detailing a car and were probably working at McDonald's or Walmart the week before (my point is they are not professional car detailing people).

First, the paint protection they are trying to sell you is NOT the answer. Assuming the scratches are not too deep, any competent detailer should be able to use a compound and remove the scratches for you. In fact, for about the cost of what the detailer would charge you, you could by the tools and products and do it youself.

Hope that helps.

Deleted member 5421

To answer you question about product - there are dozens of products on the market - some crap and some great. But more important than the product, is the application and the skill of the person doing it. There is no Honda product per se as its up to what ever the guy they hire uses.

Be careful they don't damage your paint more when they try and fix it.

Deleted member 5421

so FINALLY a resolution... I'm dropping off the car next tuesday at my local dealer and for 2 days they are putting a special wash and wax on it... where they put a layer on and leave it on for a few hour... basically it's the "Honda Protection plan" they try to sell you when you buy the car for $500.00 $1,000.

I will get a loaner car as well... Thanks again Honda and Now I have to contact the dealership I bought it from and try to get them to ship me splash guards and touch up paint for all this hassle..
I did t see this post until after I responded above. Sorry - my bad.

If they use a glaze, it will only temporarily fill the scratches but they will reappear fairly quickly. A compound or more aggressive polish will actually remove the scratches (if done correctly and if the scratches are not too deep)

TabsAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sedan
Country flag

I agree with DallasCivicX above. They're pulling a fast one on you here if they aren't correcting the swirls with a dual action polisher and compound + polish. It sounds like they're just using a filler wax or glaze from your description, which doesn't actually fix the problem. The scratches *will* come back if that's all they're doing - all waxes, sealants, coatings, etc. eventually wear off. Tell them you want the paint actually corrected, not just covered up with something and then make sure they actually do that.

Also, once you actually do get it corrected, don't take the car through automatic car washes or use anything other than good quality microfiber towels on it or you'll put new swirls in it. Takes a bit more work to learn to wash it properly, but the car will stay looking new for a lot longer. Whatever "protection package" junk they're trying to sell you can easily be done yourself with regular maintenance detailing for a fraction of the cost.

Last edited: