New camo'd Civic Sedan?! This is a 6MT 1.5T prototype we drove today

Sirrom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Toyota Corolla
Man, that would be excellent if they were offered this summer! Given the hoopla about the 2.0 NA engines and the scare with the stop-sales, I have decided that I may as well wait to purchase my new Civic. I had an LX built (because it was the only one offered in a 6MT), but I'll forego that one if we can get a 1.5T 6MT at some point soon. I was thinking that it would be in September or October, but heck, I will take summer of 2016. Let's hope! :)
Preach brother. I was going to get the LX around March/April since that's the only trim that offered the 6MT, but I'm going to wait for the turbo EX so I also get all the cool features that comes with it. Just hope that the turbo works well with the manual. No first impressions out yet but TempleofVtec is going to update us on their impressions soon since they test drove it. I just hope it's available before November.
Sponsored

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
Preach brother. I was going to get the LX around March/April since that's the only trim that offered the 6MT, but I'm going to wait for the turbo EX so I also get all the cool features that comes with it. Just hope that the turbo works well with the manual. No first impressions out yet but TempleofVtec is going to update us on their impressions soon since they test drove it. I just hope it's available before November.
I have to imagine the turbo will work just fine with the MT. It will have a lag of course, but it will probably just feel like a surge of power.

What boost level is the car running? I feel like I've come across the detail somewhere but have since forgotten... I'm quite excited by this engine even though it isn't the one I'll get. My 95 Civic was a JDM D15b turbo with wastegate set at 10psi (8psi approximate at the MAP sensor) and aside from consuming oil, the car was an awesome performer. I put like 70,000 on the car with the turbo on. I'm excited to see how an engine built for turbo goes, and I'm VERY excited at the prospect of possibly being able to swap these new 1.5T's into EG's, CRX's, and so on. It seems like a great power unit to slap into an old 86-87 CRX.

Sirrom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Toyota Corolla
I have to imagine the turbo will work just fine with the MT. It will have a lag of course, but it will probably just feel like a surge of power.

What boost level is the car running?
This is from the "Official Technical Specs of 2016 Honda Civic" spec sticky page.

1.5L turbo engine
174 horsepower @ 5500 rpm
162 lb-ft @ 1800-5500 rpm
Single-scroll turbocharger
16.5 psi boost
Direct injection
31 city mpg, 42 highway mpg, 35 combined mpg
0-60:
C&D achieved 6.8 sec
Motor Trend achieved 7.2 sec w/ touring model
[Official spec not yet released]
1/4 mile:
C&D achieved 15.3 sec @ 94 MPH w/ touring model
Motor Trend achieved 15.5 sec @ 92.4 MPH w/ touring model
For even more detailed engine specs, see our engines technical presentation

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This is from the "Official Technical Specs of 2016 Honda Civic" spec sticky page.

1.5L turbo engine
174 horsepower @ 5500 rpm
162 lb-ft @ 1800-5500 rpm
Single-scroll turbocharger
16.5 psi boost
Direct injection
31 city mpg, 42 highway mpg, 35 combined mpg
0-60:
C&D achieved 6.8 sec
Motor Trend achieved 7.2 sec w/ touring model
[Official spec not yet released]
1/4 mile:
C&D achieved 15.3 sec @ 94 MPH w/ touring model
Motor Trend achieved 15.5 sec @ 92.4 MPH w/ touring model
For even more detailed engine specs, see our engines technical presentation

Thanks for finding that! That is really pretty awesome. I have to believe the car is set up within very safe margins, meaning bumping boost to perhaps 22-24psi with a proper tune, and perhaps premium fuel, will be not only possible, but still rather safe. I don't know the level of precision possible with the direct injection system, or if it can flow higher levels of fuel. I'll bet we will start seeing 300hp plus before SEMA - especially if we get an MT by then. If the car can run E85, we could be above 350. So cool!

TChewy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Cosmic Blue, 2014 Mazda CX-5
Hey guys. First post here and have been looking at the new Civics since the redesign which is impressive. I need a new car soon to transport kids but don't want to give up the manual for a CVT. Any updates on the driving experience with the manual or timeline?

Sirrom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Toyota Corolla
Any updates on the driving experience with the manual or timeline?
Exactly this. I don't get why they don't give us a timeline. I've heard as early as "possibility of mid-year update" according to Temple of Vtec. They also said they would give us an updated driving impressions 'in a few weeks' and that was the first of February, still nothing. And I've heard as late as "2017 model" which would probably be November. I am most likely going to get the Sedan with the 1.5T/6MT combo, as I want the features that the base LX doesn't have and I want the faster, more efficient, more torque motor 1.5T. Honda's manual transmissions have always been the best so I'm not worried about that.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Exactly this. I don't get why they don't give us a timeline. I've heard as early as "possibility of mid-year update" according to Temple of Vtec. They also said they would give us an updated driving impressions 'in a few weeks' and that was the first of February, still nothing. And I've heard as late as "2017 model" which would probably be November. I am most likely going to get the Sedan with the 1.5T/6MT combo, as I want the features that the base LX doesn't have and I want the faster, more efficient, more torque motor 1.5T. Honda's manual transmissions have always been the best so I'm not worried about that.
We got our 2016 MDX in May of 2015... only point I'm trying to make is it is 'possible' for Honda to roll out an MT 1.5T earlier than November. I hope!

Sirrom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Toyota Corolla
I was told by an insider that the 1.5T/6MT will not be available until next calendar year. Sorry everyone. Pack it up. Let's go home.
Sponsored