Topher
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
So what batteries have y’all upgraded to?

I’m running a 600watt amp, and I also killed the battery on accident one night by leaving the accessory power on. This morning it took longer to start than normal and it was only in the 40s so I’m thinking I’ll get ahead of a future headache and upgrade sooner than later.
Sponsored

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
So what batteries have y’all upgraded to?

I’m running a 600watt amp, and I also killed the battery on accident one night by leaving the accessory power on. This morning it took longer to start than normal and it was only in the 40s so I’m thinking I’ll get ahead of a future headache and upgrade sooner than later.
I do hear good things about the costco interstate batteries.

Seth_FC3

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SI coupe
Country flag
Trust me, these batteries suck. About 2-3 months ago I had to take it to change the battery after owning the car for barely a year. I couldn't believe it either, but ofc it was covered under warranty.

BrandonSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Country flag
Dude you really think a dealer service center makes so little money we swap out your original battery for an old one?! My god. People are impossible these days.
The 56k miles is why it died. I see them die all the time out here with 4K miles. 15k miles. 1-3 years from new is normal. The factory pays for a new battery if within 3/36.
Crazy thing is you paid 181 for aftermarket. The Honda OE Battery is 155 installed out here. ?
I should feel lucky I got 4.5 years and 103,000 miles then! and only paid $75+tax for an Interstate battery at Costco!

The Costco Interstate batteries are not the base model battery either. They are a step-up from a standard battery (the "MT" line of batteries) and have 500 CCR compared to Honda OEM 425.
This is battery Costco carries (MSRP $145, Costco sells for $75): https://www.interstatebatteries.com/products/mt-51r

Last edited:

TypeX

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ASPEC RDX
Country flag
My car is only 23 months old the battery is shot. < 20K miles. Sad. I'm keeping it on a tender until I have a paycheck again (soon).
Go to homda if its marginal or bad ( in warranty) they will replace

Zswiat

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si sedan
Country flag
My battery had a cell go bad after about a year. The dealer replaced it no problem. It was just a pain to deal with on a car that didnt even have 15,000 miles.

Last edited:

Juddtastic77

First Name
Judd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si sedan
Country flag
Mine went bad at 40k... the dealership warranty was 3 years/36,000 whichever came first. I’ve only had it 20 months. Needless to say, went to autozone, spent my $200 and it’s done. It sucks, but it’s done. I have no aftermarket electrical stuff

MONK13

First Name
MIKE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CIVIC Si
Country flag
My battery just DIED went bad at 2900 mi (20 months old). Honda replaced it under warranty and tried to upsell me on "battery maintenance" as the old battery leaked acid on my cables (I had to pull of my strut bar before taking it in so I know there was no acid leak) - Stealerships

BTW the best car battery hands down is sold at AutoZone: Optima

CDjunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 S2000, 17 Si
Country flag
mine went stone dead @ 32K, about 2 years old. (after having passed the dealer battery test about a month prior)

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
It's widely known that Honda had a bad batch of batteries in the 2016-18 Civics, and some early 2019s. Most have come back with partially failed cores. They are hard to diagnose if you drive frequently, as the surface charge between trips is often enough to mask larger issues. The OP's issue likely surfaced while the dealer performed their standard multi-point inspection, and likely drained an already weak battery.

I generally replace mine with a comparable Costco battery. I believe they contract directly with JCI which is one of the largest suppliers of automotive batteries, IIRC.

OP
OP

Mrparis

First Name
Paris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda
Country flag
I rath
Dude you really think a dealer service center makes so little money we swap out your original battery for an old one?! My god. People are impossible these days.
The 56k miles is why it died. I see them die all the time out here with 4K miles. 15k miles. 1-3 years from new is normal. The factory pays for a new battery if within 3/36.
Crazy thing is you paid 181 for aftermarket. The Honda OE Battery is 155 installed out here. ?
I rather go with after market... honda battery seem to go quick... I never had a honda battery in my life.. all the other batteries i had lasted 5 years easy.... there is only two battery companies in usa.. Honda gets their batterys from overseas...

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Get use to it. Average life of a battery for newer model cars is much shorter (now 2-5 years; use to be 5-7 years) for a number of reasons - much higher electrical load, heat in engine compartment, smaller battery size, etc, etc. Lots of Battery Sellers claim otherwise but with only 2 or 3 battery manufacturers selling in the USA, best bang for the buck is cheapest you can find for your needs. A number of owners are seeing this phenomenon for the first time because they used to trade vehicles every few years - not anymore.
PS - Honda batteries are made in the USA by Johnson Controls - one of the main builders remaining in this environmentally dangerous, but necessary, business.

Last edited:

mr.2018_SI

First Name
Didier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
I just tuned my car for the first time. Battery drained enough while in accessory mode flashing the tune that it wouldn't crank after the flash. Had to jump start it. Couple days later, I switched from a base Ktuner tune to TSP Stage 1 and same thing, needed a jump. Guess I'm going battery shopping soon.

jason510

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Thank you for chiming in. When it comes to service on my Si, and the three previous Hondas I've owned, I've had mostly good experiences. I think there's too much competition out there for them to try and screw you, especially in SoCal with the number dealerships in the area. Dealerships are not non-profits, they are there to make money. Yes, I've been given false information, yes I try and get services sold to me that I don't need, but that's partly on me to do my research and educate myself on what my car needs and when it needs it. For example, knowing what the maintenance minder is and how it works or learning how to replace or clean things like the air and cabin filter can save you a considerable amount of money.

If you had a bad experience, write an email to the owner of the dealership or express your not being satisfied in the survey they send. Giving a black eye to every Honda dealership because of a bad experience is immature in my opinion.

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
Mine lasted two years but that’s a Florida thing batteries and tires
got a new one under warranty
Sponsored