Mrparis

First Name
Paris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda
Country flag
I wanna let everyone know of my experience at stealership......

My car went in for a oil change and the kid came out and said you need one new tire in the back and you need a new battery.... I was like wait what? a new battery? car is only 2 years old with 56k on bought brand new..... shouldn't need a battery for a while.... so I said ok... I get in my car and it starts up and dies.... all my settings are changed.... then i try to start again car is dead won even light up... so i go get this kid and tell him,.... he then says... oh well you needed a battery...so im like car was fine till i brought it here and there is no way it needs a new battery so soon... so we start going back and forth... i then tell him replace the battery but i want the old batty back and i marked it with a pen... he got real nervous and said ill just give you a jump... so gives me a jump and I tell him something is not right here... so i take it to AutoZone and have the battery tested and comes back completely dead... so i get their battery put in for $181 done deal ... car turns back on and all the lights are on and says computer booting up...... i drive it 2 miles pull over lights still do not go out...i turn car off then on lights are all gone... I reset radio and car seems to be back to normal.... My point for all this is I driven longer than most of these kids in the shops have been alive...i never had a battery go out so quick on a new car ... But i think they swap out a bad battery to get me to do a new battery or just put my battery back in and charge me for it.. there whole thing seemed very very fishy... the same kid said before months ago i needed two new tires and that if my tires goes out that ill get a ticket for being on the side of the road... again.. I never heard of such a thing... so here what I want you guys to do... Go Mark your battery in your car somewhere with a Pen or a sticker...something that cant get off.. so if they try to swap it out for a" new battery." you will know that they are pulling a scam on you.... I gave my biz to AutoZone cause I used to work there and Yes we have goals but during covid that shouldn't be a issues.... Just seems like honda is turning into a shade tree operation and most likly ill be getting a Toyota next time..
Sponsored

Zed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6MT FK7 (Sold), 991.2 Carrera S, 3rd Gen Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It certainly sounds odd that when you got back into the car, head unit/dash settings were changed. That seems to me like there was an interruption of power to those components i.e. the battery was disconnected during the service. Although, this really is just speculation.

My battery was load tested at a dealer during a warranty service and was found to be bad. It was then replaced during that service under warranty. This was after 2.5 years and 30k miles approximately.

I wouldn't decide the brand of car I wanted to buy based on anecdotal instances of poor service at a dealership. In reality, more people have good experience with Honda dealerships than negative experiences.

I also have a 2019 Tacoma that I brought in for a complimentary oil change at a dealership. Upon completion of the service, I was also told that my car needed an air filter, an alignment, and an "AC cleaning service" after only having the vehicle for 10k miles in an urban area. These tactics are meant to sell something to people that have no idea how a car works, or have any concept of maintenance intervals.

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
The battery is included under the 3-year warranty everyone gets (at least in the U.S.), correct?

carl4

First Name
carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Country flag
My car is only 23 months old the battery is shot. < 20K miles. Sad. I'm keeping it on a tender until I have a paycheck again (soon).

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
All normal wear items. And, you will get a ticket, towed, or worse in NYC if you park it on in unauthorized area.

martindtjr

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Vehicle(s)
TYPE R 19, Sienna XLE15, Xa 06, Camry 92
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Normal.. our 2015 Toyota Sienna the OE. battery lasted one year.

0percentapr

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
My battery died at 20 something thousand miles. Maybe he checked the connections and removed it to make sure there was nothing wrong so it reset the settings. The batteries die quick on our cars, it's a common issue. It should be covered under warranty I think though I believe.

Ducota

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si 2021 Accord Sport 2.0 2015 FiT Sport
Country flag
My "maintenance free" battery died after sitting for 9 days 35k miles. I checked water level and found 2 cells low. Refilled with distilled water 8k miles and still running. I personally maintain all my "maintenance free" batteries excluding my motorcycle battery which is actually sealed.

Ellenswamy

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
I had a 09 si, my battery died after 10 years and 90k miles. What are the batteries rated for?

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
These batteries are known to die early. Mine made it to 18k or so miles. Instead of getting warranty I just got an AGM battery instead. Autozone gave back an ok core charge

Sporin

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Si Sedan – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
Country flag
Sounds like if you need to replace the OEM battery early, you are better off getting a high quality, non-Honda battery to replace it. Noted for the future.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
The Honda OEM battery replacement warranty seems like a pretty good deal.

If you live in extreme temperature climates, it might be worth getting a better aftermarket battery for sure.

RS27

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Sedan 6 spd / 2019 Civic Coupe Sport CVT / 05 E46 M3 6MT Slicktop
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Dude you really think a dealer service center makes so little money we swap out your original battery for an old one?! My god. People are impossible these days.
The 56k miles is why it died. I see them die all the time out here with 4K miles. 15k miles. 1-3 years from new is normal. The factory pays for a new battery if within 3/36.
Crazy thing is you paid 181 for aftermarket. The Honda OE Battery is 155 installed out here. ?
Sponsored