NEW AC CONDENSER LEAKING TSB 19-091

Spacesloth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
Has this whole AC issue been fixed with the 2020 models I am debating between a used 17/18 or a new 2020 si.
I can’t speak to the reliability of the 2020 AC, but they have revised some components over time so I’d get a 2020 over used. In addition if you live in cold climate they revised the 2020 rear suspension shock mount to fix the clunking. Also addressed the A-pillar rattle, updated radio with a knob and newer software. Most importantly it’s new and you know it hasn’t been beat on or tuned previously.
Sponsored

Darthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016 Touring
Country flag
Update: a leak in the evaporator core. A PITT to replace being under the dash and firewall. Total cost to replace is around $2K.

At 54K miles, Honda covered 90% of the cost. And they proactively replaced the condenser under the extended warranty (a relatively cheap part) since the system was open anyways.

Although I'm a bit disappointed in the failure, I understand these things do happen. What matters is both the dealer and Honda stepped up and took ownership.

Total cost: $211.98.
Hey Design,

Just curious about your case. I'm at like 44K miles and Honda corporate said they would only cover the cost of the Condensor, not the Compressor and Clutch ass'y which was quoted at 2K parts and labor.

It sounds like you were able to get Honda to cover repairs outside just the 10 year warranty on the Condensor (which is all they offered me). If so, how did you manage that?

I just drove 6 hours from Southern to Northern California in 100 degree heat with no AC and all windows down. My wife had to hug bags of ice to stay cool.

Also, what do people think about me just getting the condensor fixed, having them recharge the coolant and dumping this lemon by selling it to a dealer? Would a dealer be likely to do a full AC check to know there are additional issues or be able to obtain that assessment from Honda?

rwt

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Tourng
Country flag
The condenser on my 2016 Civic touring was replaced in Sept 2019, still under warranty. Blowing hot air on the driver's side like so many others. Now it's June, 2020, car still has under 36K miles but is now more than three years old. Car is blowing hot air on the driver's side again. Thought it would still be under the new 12 month warranty for last year's repair but now they're saying it's the evaporator that's broken and will cost $2600 to repair. I can't believe the same problem is being caused by a part independent of the part last year and yet causing the exact same problem. This is my second Civic. Don't think they'll be a third.

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
The condenser on my 2016 Civic touring was replaced in Sept 2019, still under warranty. Blowing hot air on the driver's side like so many others. Now it's June, 2020, car still has under 36K miles but is now more than three years old. Car is blowing hot air on the driver's side again. Thought it would still be under the new 12 month warranty for last year's repair but now they're saying it's the evaporator that's broken and will cost $2600 to repair. I can't believe the same problem is being caused by a part independent of the part last year and yet causing the exact same problem. This is my second Civic. Don't think they'll be a third.

Pretty sure I would fight that one.

But to your point, for sure, at the least, never get another Civic or even Honda if that is how your local dealer is going to treat you. The automobile ownership experience is a total package thing so if the service and warranty experience is a royal pain, then why even give them your business to start.

It makes me sad seeing all these bad dealership experiences...

curtngel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Country flag
Keep us posted on the evaporator replacement and how well - or how poorly - your dealership and / or corp Honda treat you.

I was told today that my evaporator is done on my 2016 Civic Touring with 110k km (65k miles), which I bought new late Oct of 2016. I started hearing the distinctive crackling whooshing air sound from the HVAC unit at start-up, along with intermittently crappy a/c performance 2+ years ago. We don't need a/c for more than 25 - 35 days a year where I live, and so I wasn't motivated to get it checked out until I had total a/c failure in June of 2019. At that time, the car was less than 3 years old, but out of warranty due to mileage of around 53k miles. Two a/c recharges later - thankfully one free of charge, and the other at a reduced rate - and they've now determined its the evap unit that's leaking, not the condenser or compressor. Regardless, its ridiculous how many issues plague the GenX Civic's a/c system.

JohnnyL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Coupe EX
Country flag
can't fault them for a manufacturing defect on a product they didnt make though. Kind of sad it took 4 years but here we are and they are making it right
Yes, but so it seems they kept using the same junk parts for 3-4 years. I had a 16 that failed and now I have a 19 that was fixed for the same problem a week ago.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Hey Design,

Just curious about your case. I'm at like 44K miles and Honda corporate said they would only cover the cost of the Condensor, not the Compressor and Clutch ass'y which was quoted at 2K parts and labor.

It sounds like you were able to get Honda to cover repairs outside just the 10 year warranty on the Condensor (which is all they offered me). If so, how did you manage that?

I just drove 6 hours from Southern to Northern California in 100 degree heat with no AC and all windows down. My wife had to hug bags of ice to stay cool.

Also, what do people think about me just getting the condensor fixed, having them recharge the coolant and dumping this lemon by selling it to a dealer? Would a dealer be likely to do a full AC check to know there are additional issues or be able to obtain that assessment from Honda?
Sorry, I'm only just seeing this. I think the dealer has the ability to influence the outcome based on customer history. In my case, I've taken the car to the dealer for every oil change since I bought it from them (I bring my own oil). That, combined with a history of positive survey results, "could" have influenced my case.

I don't know if this was covered by Honda Corporate or a dealer goodwill credit. Regardless, it pays to maintain a good relationship with the service department, IMHO.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
I think the dealer has the ability to influence the outcome based on customer history.
It's usually the other way around - Honda influences the dealer. :)

I don't know if this was covered by Honda Corporate or a dealer goodwill credit.
I'll bet the house that Honda covered the cost of this repair. Loyalty means very little these days.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
It's usually the other way around - Honda influences the dealer. :)

I'll bet the house that Honda covered the cost of this repair. Loyalty means very little these days.
The way I understand it, Honda looks at customer history and accepts feedback from the dealer on any additional information not documented. I did mention to them that I had noticed a variance in driver/passenger temps as early as 30K. But did not consider it an issue until this year when it began getting hot outside.

Looking at my invoice, Honda was indeed the one that covered it. 90% on the evaporator and labor, 100% on the condenser.

rbnav

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wanted to leave my experience here - maybe it’ll give people hope.

I was having issues with my AC since summer started (I live in Vegas so it’s been brutal). I finally caved and dropped it off the dealership and referenced TSB 19-091. I explained the situation, stated that the driver’s side was blowing hot air and I can hear whistling when I start the AC which indicates that there is probably a leak. After reading about how some dealerships were charging an arm and a leg to repair the unit, I was pretty much expecting the worst. Come today, service manager called me and said they used dye and couldn’t find any leaks but the system was low so they are going to replace the condenser anyway via the warranty and recharge the system.

I don’t have an established relationship with the dealership besides purchasing the car from them and I’m well past the 3/36 warranty. All I did was come prepared with the information I was given via the TSB. I am hoping replacing the condenser will resolve the issue and that there aren’t underlying problems such as the compressor. I may eventually buy a UV light to check if dye was actually used and if they missed anything.

On a sidenote, I also came in for TSB 17-003 with regards to the CVT grinding. Same deal, they are replacing the lower body through 5-yr trans warranty. They did say that they couldn’t relate the problem to the CVT directly but it was so similar to the grinding described in the service bulletin that they will just replace it under goodwill.

Dropped off yesterday, diagnosed today, should be ready for pick up tomorrow. Out of pocket cost: $0

In a way, I am SLIGHTLY skeptical but will trust their word for now with regards to all the repairs they’re doing and how everything was diagnosed, does anyone have advice as to what my follow questions should be at pickup, if any?

Last edited:

Yourooteeah

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Everyone please file a complaint with the NHTSA
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

This was my complaint, added in the "safety" part to make it more appealing.

The air conditioner stops blowing cold air at idle and occasionally even when driving. This may pose a safety issue in hotter climates if there are children, elderly people, special needs persons, or pets in the vehicle when parked. Reading through the internet, there are hundreds if not thousands of owners with this same issue due to a faulty AC condenser from the factory. Honda has extended the warranty on the condenser alone but has not issued a full recall or warranty on the other parts/labor involved. This car has only 53k miles on it and this is the second time being serviced for this same problem.

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
This was the write up. 21k miles, 14months owning it. Warranty replaced,$0. They amazingly had the parts in stock and did it same day. I had to wait 1 day for overnight leak test. But I was expecting a lot worse with all the stuff I have read and heard about the part not being in stock.

Honda Civic 10th gen NEW AC CONDENSER LEAKING  TSB 19-091 C922A0A7-1D63-426C-83E9-88149D94F23E

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
This was the write up. 21k miles, 14months owning it. Warranty replaced,$0. They amazingly had the parts in stock and did it same day. I had to wait 1 day for overnight leak test. But I was expecting a lot worse with all the stuff I have read and heard about the part not being in stock.

C922A0A7-1D63-426C-83E9-88149D94F23E.jpeg
I waited for almost 2 months for my parts to come in.

FNgrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016
Country flag
Got my 2016 Civic AC checked at Honda Dealer for blowing hot air and hissing noise. Dealer told me that condenser is leaking due to foreign object, hence will not be covered by the 10 year warranty (TSB 19-091). Quote is around $1000. Any suggestion to prove/refute condenser leakage due to foreign object?

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
Got my 2016 Civic AC checked at Honda Dealer for blowing hot air and hissing noise. Dealer told me that condenser is leaking due to foreign object, hence will not be covered by the 10 year warranty (TSB 19-091). Quote is around $1000. Any suggestion to prove/refute condenser leakage due to foreign object?
I would try to go to another dealership or call Honda corporate for assistance.
Sponsored