NEW AC CONDENSER LEAKING TSB 19-091

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Friday I just receive a extended 10 year warranty on condenser for 2016 to 2018 Civic
Sponsored

Darthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016 Touring
Country flag
Hey all,

Just took my car in for the car blowing hot air in summer (bought the car off lease in March). Knew about the warranty. I'm 3.5 years, 42K miles. They claim the issue is the seal on the compressor leaking and the condensor, compressor and part of clutch assembly need to be replaced. 1150 for parts, 750 for parts. Seems insane for a car this new due to apparently no fault of my own.

Anyone had any progress complaining to Honda America or the dealer?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic2016 LX 2.0l Automatic
Country flag
Just got word of the new TSB 19-091 extending the warranty to 10 yrs unlimited mileage. Try to get a hi resolution copy
EDIT: FULL PDF Below
nc_oc=AQl6qZvRYSMeSlDENTKvUIJwTWzgNScC0-ZjA0V-wcAgdlglSL4k0VuQY5mEBSv4pSA&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.jpg

Hi fellow Civic drivers,

I also got the same AC Condenser Leak warranty extension letter from Honda just now. They are offering 10 year warranty on this issue.

I already had my AC broken down during summer time this year in June. I went to the dealership and they fixed this issue because I bought extended warranty when I bought my car.

They said it would have been $1600 cost on me to replace and fix the condenser, all the tubings and compressor. Luckily I had the warranty and I didnt have to pay a single dollar.

Just received this letter today and it says that this issue is covered under warranty for 10 years from initial vehicle registration regardless of any extended warranty you have bought.

It's a good news for guys who have their AC blowing hot air during summer.

Honda Civic 10th gen NEW AC CONDENSER LEAKING  TSB 19-091 aviary-image-1576538059242

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Warranty is only on condenser , not on compressor and clutch ass'y as it happened to Darthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic2016 LX 2.0l Automatic
Country flag
Hey all,

Just took my car in for the car blowing hot air in summer (bought the car off lease in March). Knew about the warranty. I'm 3.5 years, 42K miles. They claim the issue is the seal on the compressor leaking and the condensor, compressor and part of clutch assembly need to be replaced. 1150 for parts, 750 for parts. Seems insane for a car this new due to apparently no fault of my own.

Anyone had any progress complaining to Honda America or the dealer?
Try a different dealership bro. I had the same issue. There is no way you should pay that ridiculous amount of money.

It's not Honda. It's the shitty dealership who is trying to make extra bucks out of you.

Darthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016 Touring
Country flag
Try a different dealership bro. I had the same issue. There is no way you should pay that ridiculous amount of money.

It's not Honda. It's the shitty dealership who is trying to make extra bucks out of you.
Cool, thanks for the advice. What should I tell the other dealer? My main dealer already did the assessment for $150, do I take the assessment to another dealer and just ask for a better deal, or act like I don't know what the problem is and have them re-assess?

What's another dealer's motivation to cut me a deal?

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'll tell to the delership Honda give extended warranty on A/C and I don' t want to pay

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Update: a leak in the evaporator core. A PITT to replace being under the dash and firewall. Total cost to replace is around $2K.

At 54K miles, Honda covered 90% of the cost. And they proactively replaced the condenser under the extended warranty (a relatively cheap part) since the system was open anyways.

Although I'm a bit disappointed in the failure, I understand these things do happen. What matters is both the dealer and Honda stepped up and took ownership.

Total cost: $211.98.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Update: a leak in the evaporator core. A PITT to replace being under the dash and firewall. Total cost to replace is around $2K.

At 54K miles, Honda covered 90% of the cost. And they proactively replaced the condenser under the extended warranty (a relatively cheap part) since the system was open anyways.

Although I'm a bit disappointed in the failure, I understand these things do happen. What matters is both the dealer and Honda stepped up and took ownership.

Total cost: $211.98.
It's good Honda now helps with the costs even after warranty.

But the failures of the AC after a couple of years are quite amazing. It seems like about every part of the system can be defective including the condenser, the compressor, the evaporator, and even the hoses.
The bar is much higher than this from my experience. AC can work forever.
Strange, but I never had the AC repaired or even recharged in any of our cars, ever. And I wouldn't tolerate the AC not working. I keep cars for a long time and I always lived in places that were very hot in the summer.
I traded in an 18-year old minivan with still icy cold and never touched dual AC system. Even my CRV is over 10 years old and the AC still works full blast cold without any help.

So I can't help but blame the allegedly super-green new AC system for all these issues.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I agree. This is the first AC failure I've had happen under 100K. My wife's is still going strong after 200K. My previous 2009 Mazda went 104K before the coil failed. And my '00 Civic's entire system was problem-free for 208K before I sold it.

As an aside, I think Honda suffers a little more than others when it comes to early model QA. I also had the battery core partially fail at 38K. And the rear driver locking mechanism sticks every so often. Despite that, I would still consider another Honda based on my experience yesterday.

I have an inquiry out to see who is the supplier for each component. I'd be surprised if any are from Denso.

ssunnypd

First Name
Sunil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 civic si - sold, 2021 SGP Type R #44-500
Country flag
Has this whole AC issue been fixed with the 2020 models I am debating between a used 17/18 or a new 2020 si.
Sponsored