NYHeel

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sedan
Country flag
I am guessing if the dealership told me that the system failed the vacuum test and couldn't be recharged because the leak in the compressor is "so bad" that trying a self recharge kit is a dead end for me? Always have that fear in the back of my head that the dealership is lying to me to secure a $2k repair.
I won't pretend to have a clue as to the correct answer. But you're only out $140 plus tax for the recharge kit if you try it. Alternatively, if you don't want to spend that much, you can buy a small can of R1234yf and a separate gauge and attachment. That will probably cost less. Or you can not do that and trust the dealership. I'm not a car guy so I have no real knowledge to add except that the recharge kit has worked for me for at least a few days.
Sponsored

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
I am guessing if the dealership told me that the system failed the vacuum test and couldn't be recharged because the leak in the compressor is "so bad" that trying a self recharge kit is a dead end for me? Always have that fear in the back of my head that the dealership is lying to me to secure a $2k repair.
That's why we call them stealerships.

If I am unable to diag my own concers and forced to take it to a dealership, I always ask for them to show me exactly what the cause is. Like, legit walk me back into the shop and show me. Tbh, with a black light you should be able to verify how bad the leak is coming from the compressor. UV dye comes from the factory and you would clearly see the leak when the black light hits the dye - it will glow. Better to check at night or while wearing yellow glasses.

They tried to pull stuff like this multiple times. I bent my radar bracket and had them diag it, incase it only needed to be recalibrated. They told me I needed a new radar and bracket, but failed to show me the voltage readings to the radar. I had them do a voltage check, which should have been part of the diag process anyway.
Voltage was good, I only had to buy a new bracket and recalibrate. Saved a lot of money.

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
Here's the problem with recharge kits, you can easily over charge the system. It won't work correctly and could damage it.

Friendofsonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
I called my mechanic, as it turns out he does work on AC as well and explained that the system had freon during my first visit to the stealer-ship (due to passenger side blowing cold) and then explained that three weeks later, they claimed it failed the vacuum test and could not be recharged/add dye to the system because of the compressor leak being so bad. He thinks it sounds fishy but couldn't be certain of course. Now I have to decide if I want to drop another $100 on a diagnostic to chase the theory of whether or not the dealership is bullshitting me.

NYHeel

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sedan
Country flag
Here's the problem with recharge kits, you can easily over charge the system. It won't work correctly and could damage it.
You could but the kits do come with a pressure gauge specifically designed so that doesn’t happen.

In my case, the compressor wasn’t even running because I had no refrigerant (or almost nothing). After adding a little I heard the compressor turn on (or at least that’s what I thought it was). Considering that the entire can is 14 ounces and I had next to nothing in my system, I didn’t have much chance of overfilling. I ended up using most of the can (might have a small amount left) and the gauge showed the pressure in the middle of the green area.

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
You could but the kits do come with a pressure gauge specifically designed so that doesn’t happen.
Only if it is a manifold gauge set. You need to monitor the high and low pressure side of the system to do it even close to right.

To say nothing of the fact that there is more danger in overfilling than underfilling. So err on the side of caution.

NYHeel

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sedan
Country flag
Only if it is a manifold gauge set. You need to monitor the high and low pressure side of the system to do it even close to right.

To say nothing of the fact that there is more danger in overfilling than underfilling. So err on the side of caution.
Yeah, I don't really have a clue about this stuff. I did check the refrigerant amount recommended on the sticker under the hood and 14 ounces was less than the maximum amount. Given that I'm pretty sure I was starting with none or almost none (absolutely no cold air for at least 3.5 months) and I don't think the compressor was even running I felt fairly safe. But I did stop adding before I finished the can to be safe. Probably should have stopped a bit earlier but I think I'm ok.

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't know of any Hondas 2016+ that use R134a.

Putting R134a in your system will ruin it.

There's a sicker on the bottom side of the hood that tells you what refrigerant is used.
A quick search on the internet says it won't ruin it. In fact, it may help it run better. The knock is... it's supposedly illegal.

It's always best to start with the cheapest and easiest option... In my opinion anyway. Try a refill.

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
A quick search on the internet says it won't ruin it. In fact, it may help it run better. The knock is... it's supposedly illegal.

It's always best to start with the cheapest and easiest option... In my opinion anyway. Try a refill.
Yeah, I heard they outlawed it. Haven't researched the affect it would have, I was told that it would mess things up.

Thanks for letting me know.

Also, and this is merely my belief, if there is a problem then it needs to be fixed. Yes, refills will temporarily fix the issue. However, over the long run the cost of refills outweigh the cost of repair. I get it tho, when money is tight and it's hot as hell - do a recharge. But if someone is planning on keeping the vehicle, and can afford it - repair it.

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah, I heard they outlawed it. Haven't researched the affect it would have, I was told that it would mess things up.

Thanks for letting me know.

Also, and this is merely my belief, if there is a problem then it needs to be fixed. Yes, refills will temporarily fix the issue. However, over the long run the cost of refills outweigh the cost of repair. I get it tho, when money is tight and it's hot as hell - do a recharge. But if someone is planning on keeping the vehicle, and can afford it - repair it.
Agreed. As long as the parts your repairing it with are actually not going to do the same thing a few years down the road.

Friendofsonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Agreed. As long as the parts your repairing it with are actually not going to do the same thing a few years down the road.
Bingo. I think reading about how people have blown through more than 1 compressor or have slowly watched each major component in the AC system fail is incredibly frustrating and gives pause onto whether or not to actually invest any time or money into this shoddy AC system

Jakxc28

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
My 2018 Si just went fully warm, and I'm not sure what to do. I'm out of warranty and I don't have the money for a repair. The recharge sounds like a good idea, but I'd prefer to have it permanently fixed. I don't understand how they can charge over $100 to just go look for 5 min with a blacklight. The compressor is also clearly a well known issue. Why isn't there a recall or class action lawsuit or something?

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
Why isn't there a recall or class action lawsuit or something?
Because air conditioning is not required by Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards and the manufacturer has no legal obligation to fix it after the warranty expires.

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My 2018 Si just went fully warm, and I'm not sure what to do. I'm out of warranty and I don't have the money for a repair. The recharge sounds like a good idea, but I'd prefer to have it permanently fixed. I don't understand how they can charge over $100 to just go look for 5 min with a blacklight. The compressor is also clearly a well known issue. Why isn't there a recall or class action lawsuit or something?
Go in and tell them you think you have a leaky condenser, which is still covered. You might get lucky.

OP
OP
dallasjhawk

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
They shouldn't charge you upfront for the diag. They'll charge you when you turn down the work if it isnt warrantied. Maybe it will be the condenser. And if it isn't you can always ask corporate honda if they will offer any goodwill to lower the cost out of pocket.
Sponsored