NEW AC CONDENSER LEAKING TSB 19-091

Friendofsonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Adding 1 full can of r1234yf will fix your problem, at least temporarily. You have a leak somewhere.... condenser, compressor, evaporator, fittings...it doesn't really matter where if you're gonna do the cheap, easy fix. It's likely a very small leak like mine and the refrigerant will probably last for months to get you through the summer. $2000 vs $50. It was a pretty easy decision for me last year. Just make sure to get the hose w proper r1234yf fitting. They're on ebay or amazon. I got my refrigerant at Napa. Good luck and let me know how it goes.
Is there any potential long term damage to other components in the AC system presently not damaged by doing multiple refills?
Sponsored

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is there any potential long term damage to other components in the AC system presently not damaged by doing multiple refills?
Not sure, but that's a great question. All I know is my $50 fix is still working when Honda wanted $2500 to throw new parts at the problem.

Friendofsonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Not sure, but that's a great question. All I know is my $50 fix is still working when Honda wanted $2500 to throw new parts at the problem.
Oh I agree. I really don't like hearing how people have gone through multiple compressors on relatively young cars

Tony503

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic HB Sport Touring
Country flag
I splurged for the $140 A/C Pro kit in May and it's working fine for me so far. Last summer, Honda told be my compressor was leaking and I used the older A/C Pro gauge and bought the Honeywell can separately and most of it leaked out by spring. Plus, I don't hear any whirring noises when the compressor turns on whereas I still heard noises after I used the Honeywell can.

Friendofsonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
So, the dealership is taking another look at my ac system today. There was several miscommunication and they at first didn't add the dye- the service advisor corrected that. They did bring me to the garage and showed me the compressor and how there was evidence of freon leaking by pointing to the green color fluid. One thing he cited was the center piece covered in cotton, stating that if the compressor was leak free, it should not be green/black in color and instead free of color. Does that make sense? The service advisor reiterated to the tech to go ahead and add the dye and recharge, but I'm not sure if what they're saying about the compressor is accurate or not.

Edit: I forgot to mention they're doing a recharge free of cost. I wonder if that will make the system safe to use as well as buying me time like those recharge kits do

Last edited:

NYHeel

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sedan
Country flag
I just used the $140 AC Pro kit as well. The gauge showed absolutely no pressure initially but that was probably because the compressor wasn't running. I heard what was probably the compressor kick in after a minute or two of adding refrigerant. It took me about 10 minutes to get it to the green point but the AC does appear to be working now. Now it's just a question of how long it lasts.

Friendofsonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Well, now they're telling me the compressor is leaking so badly it can't possibly be recharged until I replaced the compressor. I find it suspicious because they seemed absolutely shocked I would not proceed with the next step of replacing the compressor with them, and I am seeking quotes elsewhere. I told them there is a pretty big differential in labor billing between a service center and a typical mechanic's shop. He said, "Sure, but it's a quality thing." Okay, same service center who tried to get me to replace brake pads at 40,000 miles a couple of years ago when they're still fine today, and still fine by their own admission of inspection when I brought the car in a few weeks ago. I also find it weird that the passenger side of the car was still blowing cold, suggesting the system had freon to some degree, I discontinued all use of the system after that. And now, in the three weeks between their first and second inspection, it somehow developed a gaping leak where all of the freon has disappeared?

It's really hard to trust the service center whatsoever. A couple of questions- if Honda does decide to grant me any sort of Goodwill, do I have to get the work done at a service center versus being reimbursed for my non-service center repair later on? And does my warranty repair on the condenser, if my personal mechanic was going to do the AC job, need to be done at the service center or can he do it and I be reimbursed later on?

This whole setup of just one part of the AC system being extended warranty wise is really frustrating.

Last edited:

Exhile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Sedan (White)
Country flag
First post here. I came onto this forum to investigate more about the Air Conditioning problem with the 10th Generation Honda Civic. I really appreciate the contribution that many members have posted in this thread. The information is very useful. I'd like to add that my 2019 Honda Civic EX Sedan is also experiencing the same problem as many other have on this thread. I live in the Northwest of North America and I would use the air conditioning only for 1-2 months in the Summer when it is really hot. This plethora of information has provided me insight to the problem in my vehicle.

Thanks everyone!

NYHeel

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sedan
Country flag
I splurged for the $140 A/C Pro kit in May and it's working fine for me so far. Last summer, Honda told be my compressor was leaking and I used the older A/C Pro gauge and bought the Honeywell can separately and most of it leaked out by spring. Plus, I don't hear any whirring noises when the compressor turns on whereas I still heard noises after I used the Honeywell can.
Just wanted to thank both of you. My AC is working great since using the AC Pro kit. It's like a bought a car for $140 since I couldn't drive my car since April without being miserable. It sounds so normal but it's such a nice feeling being able to drive my car with the AC blasting cold air. I still might decide to sell the car at some point soon but at least I can now drive it.

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just used the $140 AC Pro kit as well. The gauge showed absolutely no pressure initially but that was probably because the compressor wasn't running. I heard what was probably the compressor kick in after a minute or two of adding refrigerant. It took me about 10 minutes to get it to the green point but the AC does appear to be working now. Now it's just a question of how long it lasts.
What's an AC Pro kit? Isn't that R134a? If so, you're the first ones I know on the forum that switched refrigerants in our system. Of course, I don't know that many people, so..... but still.

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
I don't know of any Hondas 2016+ that use R134a.

Putting R134a in your system will ruin it.

There's a sicker on the bottom side of the hood that tells you what refrigerant is used.

NYHeel

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sedan
Country flag
What's an AC Pro kit? Isn't that R134a? If so, you're the first ones I know on the forum that switched refrigerants in our system. Of course, I don't know that many people, so..... but still.
AC Pro makes a do it yourself kit for R1234yf now as well. This is the product: https://www.acprocold.com/product/r-1234yf-a-c-pro-recharge-kit/

It's obviously much more expensive than the R134a kits they sell but in my case has been well worth it so far.

Friendofsonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
I am guessing if the dealership told me that the system failed the vacuum test and couldn't be recharged because the leak in the compressor is "so bad" that trying a self recharge kit is a dead end for me? Always have that fear in the back of my head that the dealership is lying to me to secure a $2k repair.
Sponsored