thatcaveman

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe EX-T
Country flag
Wanted to leave my experience here - maybe it’ll help give people hope.

I was having issues with my AC since summer started (I live in Vegas so it’s been brutal). I finally caved and dropped it off the dealership and referenced TSB 19-091. I explained the situation, stating that the driver’s side was blowing hot air and I can hear whistling when I start the AC which indicates that there is probably a leak. After reading everyone’s accounts with dealerships charging an arm and a leg to repair the unit, I was pretty much expecting the worst. Come today, service manager called me and said they used dye and couldn’t find any leaks but the system was low so they are going to replace the condenser anyway via the warranty and recharge the system.

I don’t have an established relationship with the dealership besides purchasing the car from them and am well past 3/36 warranty. All I did was come prepared with the information I was given via the TSB. I am hoping replacing the condenser will resolve the issue and that there aren’t underlying problems such as the compressor. I may eventually buy a UV light to check if dye was actually used and if they missed anything.

On a sidenote, I also came in for TSB 17-003 with regards to the CVT grinding. Same deal, they are replacing the lower body through 5-yr trans warranty. They did say that they couldn’t relate the problem to the CVT directly but it was so similar to the grinding described in the service bulletin that they will just replace it under goodwill.

Dropped off yesterday, diagnosed today, should be ready for pick up tomorrow. Out of pocket cost: $0

In a way, I am SLIGHTLY skeptical but will trust their word for now with regards to all the repairs they’re doing and how everything was diagnosed, does anyone have advice as to what my follow questions should be at pickup, if any?
Findlay Honda?

I have had nothing but good experiences with them. I bought my car from Autonation east with the extended warranty but a bit scared to take it there as I have no record with them.
Sponsored

rbnav

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Findlay Honda?

I have had nothing but good experiences with them. I bought my car from Autonation east with the extended warranty but a bit scared to take it there as I have no record with them.
Autonation actually. They were great and did above and beyond in terms of taking care of my car

botakkinclong

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX
Country flag
Also noticed the driver side blowing hot air.
Decided to try my luck with the condenser warranty.
Turns out the condenser isn't leaking so they charged me $318 to do evac and recharge with dye.
They say Honda will likely cover the cost of replacing the compressor/evaporator if one of them is faulty (need to find out where it's leaking from first)

Minimalbs

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic hatchback lx 6mt
Country flag
Took my 17 civic hatchback lx in to have the ac checked when it wasn't very cold. Previously, at 35k miles they replaced the compressor, which would have been about $1200 had the warranty expired. Now, they claim the condenser and evaporator have failed, but, my 17 civic just so happens not to be included in the TSB with all the same parts failing. They want $2500 this time. The fact that Honda has clearly produced an AC system with widespread issues and refuses to deal with it is very upsetting. If not resolved I don't think I'll be buying another Honda product ever again.

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
Took my 17 civic hatchback lx in to have the ac checked when it wasn't very cold. Previously, at 35k miles they replaced the compressor, which would have been about $1200 had the warranty expired. Now, they claim the condenser and evaporator have failed, but, my 17 civic just so happens not to be included in the TSB with all the same parts failing. They want $2500 this time. The fact that Honda has clearly produced an AC system with widespread issues and refuses to deal with it is very upsetting. If not resolved I don't think I'll be buying another Honda product ever again.
I would suggest that you ask assistance from Honda corporate.

Minimalbs

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I would suggest that you ask assistance from Honda corporate.
Oh, I called them. Their response was to confirm the VIN was not in range, offer no explanation as to how with a high failure rate on all these parts mine magically wasn't included in the TSB, and told me I could pay for the repair in full myself or try to join one of the pending class action lawsuits if I thought it would help. I don't expect much from companies anymore but this level of callousness was pretty impressive.

warsaws

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civicx
Country flag
Oh, I called them. Their response was to confirm the VIN was not in range, offer no explanation as to how with a high failure rate on all these parts mine magically wasn't included in the TSB, and told me I could pay for the repair in full myself or try to join one of the pending class action lawsuits if I thought it would help. I don't expect much from companies anymore but this level of callousness was pretty impressive.
Did they really suggest you sue them?

Minimalbs

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Did they really suggest you sue them?
I was excessively nice when speaking to corporate in an attempt to not irritate the representative, and she literally said your VIN isn't in range, I don't know why the same part number as the covered vehicles wouldn't be covered in your case, we can't assist you in any way, and, yes, you can try joining a class action lawsuit. If I were to add some more subjective interpretation of tone, I believe she felt my odds of success with a class action lawsuit to be laughable. Basically I'm of the opinion that you either need a direct lawsuit or possibly enough social media influence to cause PR problems for a company before they will do anything but the bare minimum. Of course I'm also freshly wounded with this nonsense and probably can't be objective on a broader sense at the moment.

warsaws

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civicx
Country flag
I was excessively nice when speaking to corporate in an attempt to not irritate the representative, and she literally said your VIN isn't in range, I don't know why the same part number as the covered vehicles wouldn't be covered in your case, we can't assist you in any way, and, yes, you can try joining a class action lawsuit. If I were to add some more subjective interpretation of tone, I believe she felt my odds of success with a class action lawsuit to be laughable. Basically I'm of the opinion that you either need a direct lawsuit or possibly enough social media influence to cause PR problems for a company before they will do anything but the bare minimum. Of course I'm also freshly wounded with this nonsense and probably can't be objective on a broader sense at the moment.
I’m sorry they’re not doing the right thing. This is getting really bad. Thinking of selling mine before it goes out.

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
My VIN was not covered as well when my compressor and condenser needs to be changed.

I just talked to them in a nice and polite way, explained everything to them and that I told them that I ain’t paying the whole $3800 that the dealer quoted me for a car that is only 3 years old. It worked for me since I only paid $200 for the parts.

cocoroos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport
Country flag
Wanted to put my experience in here as well. Car was 2 months out of warranty when my AC blew hot air only. I took it in to a dealership and they diagnosed it as the condenser failing.

Did some research here about this TSB and brought it up to the dealership I was at (Gardena Honda, in Southern Cal). They said I was not covered and quoted me over $3,000 in parts/labor to repair. I obviously declined repair. I had no previous relationship to this dealership (first time going).

Called up Honda Corporate to get a case going and was ultimately approved (after 3 weeks of calling and checking up on my case) for a goodwill replacement of my condenser. When I showed up to the same dealership to repair, they said that it was actually the compressor that failed. So I had gone through a whole bunch of pain to get Honda Corporate to approve a goodwill replacement, only to find out that the approval was for the wrong part. I brought up the misdiagnosis to the service manager and they ultimately owned up to their mistake.

I did not have to go through another case request with Honda Corporate to get approval on the goodwill compressor replacement. The dealership said they would handle that with corporate internally and charged me $50 in total.

I honestly think I lucked out, especially seeing a lot of the other horror stories here. Not super happy with the experience, but came out with working AC. Definitely worried about it failing again in the not-so-distant-future and without a Honda Corporate goodwill bailout.

Israel

First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
This gives you hope that when your AC fail at 40k miles you still have a chance to get it covered where before you were up shit creek. Remember, if denied warranty, always ask why and to see the proof
You think will it still cover if you have install an aftermarket Intercooler? like a PRL intercooler and used against for not to cover warranty on condenser

Israel

First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Wanted to put my experience in here as well. Car was 2 months out of warranty when my AC blew hot air only. I took it in to a dealership and they diagnosed it as the condenser failing.

Did some research here about this TSB and brought it up to the dealership I was at (Gardena Honda, in Southern Cal). They said I was not covered and quoted me over $3,000 in parts/labor to repair. I obviously declined repair. I had no previous relationship to this dealership (first time going).

Called up Honda Corporate to get a case going and was ultimately approved (after 3 weeks of calling and checking up on my case) for a goodwill replacement of my condenser. When I showed up to the same dealership to repair, they said that it was actually the compressor that failed. So I had gone through a whole bunch of pain to get Honda Corporate to approve a goodwill replacement, only to find out that the approval was for the wrong part. I brought up the misdiagnosis to the service manager and they ultimately owned up to their mistake.

I did not have to go through another case request with Honda Corporate to get approval on the goodwill compressor replacement. The dealership said they would handle that with corporate internally and charged me $50 in total.

I honestly think I lucked out, especially seeing a lot of the other horror stories here. Not super happy with the experience, but came out with working AC. Definitely worried about it failing again in the not-so-distant-future and without a Honda Corporate goodwill bailout.
Wondering if they would still cover condenser or compressor under warranty if you have an aftermarket intercooler?

CivicPR0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport Touring CVT
Country flag
Wondering if they would still cover condenser or compressor under warranty if you have an aftermarket intercooler?
My condenser was covered under warranty even with all the mods I am currently running including Mishimoto IC.

Honda Civic 10th gen NEW AC CONDENSER LEAKING  TSB 19-091 98F3FF5B-4829-4437-9337-1B39CD18C251