New 2022 CTR?

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Which reviews have said that? I haven't seen a single review that said the RS was more fun. The Type R has a better steering feel, better braking feel, a better shifter- the Focus RS engine just runs out of breath as it revs out it doesn't continue to pull to redline like the Type R.
Yeah I've never seen that ever and read a lot of content. I'd be shocked if the Focus RS felt better than the Type R in any condition outside of driving on snow.
Sponsored

JayeGee

JaysCTR2528
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 EK HATCH EJ6 & 2017 CTR FK8
Country flag
From all the reviews I read - The Type R is the least fun to drive because it's so numb and just too focused where the Ford Focus is more frantic and the "funner" car to drive, that car is AWD :eek:
Link to this review please.

whytfwontthiswork

First Name
s
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Country flag
Apart from us (the minority) at its current price point it was already a tough sell for its fanbase

Being hybrid awd will definately jack up the price + put it in a different segment of cars. It will no longer be the king of its segment so it's price will be increasingly difficult to justify

Would love the 2022 CTR to come as a base model gas/fwd with an OPTIONAL upgrade to hybrid/awd/400hp. Best of both worlds

jayevo23

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR
Country flag
He's probably talking about this review and I have heard others say the Focus RS as well as the Velostar N are more fun to drive from several different reviews.

ElpacoSV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EJ6 ; Civic FK7G4
Country flag
He's probably talking about this review and I have heard others say the Focus RS as well as the Velostar N are more fun to drive from several different reviews.
This is a good thing! If competition is not heated, companies seat on their asses!

Keep in mind this is a global platform and it must be better than is EU counterparts.

That being said, I foresee only small Increase in HP (+10 hp) at best and no AWD and No electric option.

Why no AWD? Because it will chage the ESSENCE of what a Type R is. This is a big philosophy change that I don't think Honda will do. Besides, this generation has already proven that AWD can be slower on the track vs FWD.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
Apart from us (the minority) at its current price point it was already a tough sell for its fanbase
Huh? Since when is the CTR a hard sell? Everything I've experienced and heard is that in North America every new CTR a dealer gets is sold within a week of arriving on lot. And probably half of them are sold either before they arrive or on their day of arrival.

Its seems apparent that demand for CTRs is still much higher than supply.

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
only thing that slows down CTR sales is the mark up. If all Dealers in the USA sold the CTR at MSRP i bet you it would be sold out by now.

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I genuinely don't care about the hybrid rumors. Seems like the natural progression and a way it can meet Euro emissions targets.

What I do care about is that they're apparently using the K20C1 unchanged AGAIN. That means a model year '25 11th gen car will have the exact same engine a 2015 FK2 Type R had.

I cannot imagine if my 2019 FK8 had a 2009 spec K20A straight out of a FD2. Speaking of though, I guess Honda milked the K20A from the EP3 to the FN2, but everyone considers the FN2 to be the "bad Type R"
They did that with the S2000 in some countries, from 2000 to 2009, where it only came with the 9k rpm motor.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Look up Doug Demuros review of the 2017 CTR. It’s just a montage of him spitting out false information about the car and quipping the CTR is slower than the Focus RS 0-60. Don’t know why anyone watches that clown and really don’t know why people act like he’s a god. He ain’t.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Look up Doug Demuros review of the 2017 CTR. It’s just a montage of him spitting out false information about the car and quipping the CTR is slower than the Focus RS 0-60. Don’t know why anyone watches that clown and really don’t know why people act like he’s a god. He ain’t.
Doug is very entertaining to watch. He was shitting quite a bit on the Type R though with a lot of what he was saying almost completely and flat out wrong.

WindJunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE USA-367, 2011 Civic Si (FA5)
Country flag
lol yeah, his review of the CTR is painful. He beats Honda up about the most mundane talking points, like how the wing flutters when slamming the trunk shut. He's definitely inconsistent in his reviews too, he'll call a car "the most fun" he's ever reviewed, then give the very same car a 6/10 on a fun "Doug" score. I can't believe all the followers he has, good for him anyway bc I wouldn't mind being able to review the cars he gets to cover and make money in the process

HondaFan2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 PMM CTR (ex BMW 420d GC)
Country flag
First it says: it will not be a hybrid. Right after it continues saying that electric motors will control rear wheels. Two contradictory statements.
With this power bump likely it will be a hybrid. Count 200-300 pounds at least of extra weight (motors and batteries). The obvious downsides:
- car will loose agility - it will be as tossible/responsive as any 3500 lbs "sports" car.
- when batteries will get discharged, the thermal engine(300 hp) will be struggle to move extra 200-300 pounds and charge the batteries. This is the reality with hybrid cars, check real owners experience not paper specs or short journalist drive tests in ideal conditions.

Given the upcoming strict pollution standards from 2021 in Europe, unlikely to see a power bump without hybrid. Even the current model is way above those targets.

I'll keep my FK8 type R. Agile, thermal engine, still some character, relatively less complex. The sports cars of the future will loose character due to increasing norms/imposed limitations. Hold on to your older cars.

HondaFan2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 PMM CTR (ex BMW 420d GC)
Country flag
I watched 2-3 times then I quit being fed-up with the same ol' "This is why XXXXXX is worth....". It became obvious for me that he was only into sensationalizing. As others pointed out his videos offer shallow, inaccurate information, they're just bro-car-knowledge. Complete waste of time, no reliable/usable information. Click-bating.
And in general I avoid also those photoshopped Youtube videos thumbnails showing on purpose smth outrageous, just to be clicked. Garbage, no info, waste of time.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
I know that this goes against the current trend, but they could offset the weight increase from the battery stack by reducing the overall size of the car. Academically, I knew that 10th gen Type R had grown to be as big or bigger than late 90's/early 2000's Accords, but I didn't realize how massive my Type R really was until I saw it parked next to my wife's TTRS. Both sports cars, both with sizable hatches, but the Type R could fit an elephant in the back seat whereas the Audi's back seat is mostly just meant for an overnight bag. That's how I remember old-school Honda's being (like my 2001 Prelude), and I for one would be delighted to see the nexy-gen R shrink back down to be a true compact again.

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Given the upcoming strict pollution standards from 2021 in Europe, unlikely to see a power bump without hybrid.
Mercedes gets over 400 hp with their 2-liter. Do their engines meet emissions standards? Honda used to be the king of high specific output, maybe they'll feel nostalgic to revisit their better days lol.
Sponsored