First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda uses the same NSX hybrid AWD tech in the RLX/MDX already, FWIW. Obviously the reverse of the NSX which powers the rear wheels with the mid engine, where as in the RLX/MDX the rear wheels are powered by the electric motors. They could add it to a halo Honda and not feel bad about it, it's a sunk R&D cost that they can filter through the lineup as they see fit for market demands.

It adds about 350 lbs on the RLX, so a Type R with it would sit at about 3400 lbs without any additional weight reduction.
Sponsored

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag
Honda uses the same NSX hybrid AWD tech in the RLX/MDX already, FWIW. Obviously the reverse of the NSX which powers the rear wheels with the mid engine, where as in the RLX/MDX the rear wheels are powered by the electric motors. They could add it to a halo Honda and not feel bad about it, it's a sunk R&D cost that they can filter through the lineup as they see fit for market demands.

It adds about 350 lbs on the RLX, so a Type R with it would sit at about 3400 lbs without any additional weight reduction.
That's still a massive jump in price, near double.

If we were to expect a system like that on the CTR we'd also have to expect some huge price gap from the current MSRP to the next.

Shred

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That's still a massive jump in price, near double.

If we were to expect a system like that on the CTR we'd also have to expect some huge price gap from the current MSRP to the next.
MDX starts at 44k, which is only 8k more than MSRP for a Type R at 36k. Outgoing RLX is 55k. The hybrid AWD system adds about $9000 to the price of an MDX, but part a big chunk of that, $5000, is the required Technology package. Looking at what it offers, I'm not sure why that's required from a mechanical aspect but it adds many other features, like blind spot monitoring, that make sense if you're optioning for AWD. Leather and wood trim, not so much.

They could forego that extra tech and add in the new drivetrain and keep the MSRP in the range of an STi or Golf R. Many of the convenience features that drive up the price when optioning the MDX for the hybrid AWD are already left out on the current R. Not saying that I want this to happen, but it's not far fetched.

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
MDX starts at 44k, which is only 8k more than MSRP for a Type R at 36k. Outgoing RLX is 55k. The hybrid AWD system adds about $9000 to the price of an MDX, but part a big chunk of that, $5000, is the required Technology package. Looking at what it offers, I'm not sure why that's required from a mechanical aspect but it adds many other features, like blind spot monitoring, that make sense if you're optioning for AWD. Leather and wood trim, not so much.

They could forego that extra tech and add in the new drivetrain and keep the MSRP in the range of an STi or Golf R. Many of the convenience features that drive up the price when optioning the MDX for the hybrid AWD are already left out on the current R. Not saying that I want this to happen, but it's not far fetched.
The base MSRP of the MDX has no significance as it doesn't come with the hybrid AWD. Sure you can rationalize it and say the AWD system only costs 4k (on the MDX mind you), but the reality is never that simple, they can't just take the AWD and plop it into the CTR, boost the MSRP by 4k and call it a day. What about the transmission? Are they going to adapt a manual to the hybrid AWD, or stick in a fast shifting auto or better yet DCT.

Too many variables you're not accounting for.

I'd be hard pressed to believe that the CTR would only see a 4k price jump despite this being greater than 10% of current MSRP. I would expect a much greater price jump even higher than the Golf R.

Shred

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The base MSRP of the MDX has no significance as it doesn't come with the hybrid AWD. Sure you can rationalize it and say the AWD system only costs 4k (on the MDX mind you), but the reality is never that simple, they can't just take the AWD and plop it into the CTR, boost the MSRP by 4k and call it a day. What about the transmission? Are they going to adapt a manual to the hybrid AWD, or stick in a fast shifting auto or better yet DCT.

Too many variables you're not accounting for.

I'd be hard pressed to believe that the CTR would only see a 4k price jump despite this being greater than 10% of current MSRP. I would expect a much greater price jump even higher than the Golf R.
You said that the MDX/RLX were almost double the price, only reason I mentioned it. They aren't, unless you fully option them. I never meant that the addition of their existing AWD system would only add 4k flat, just that it's not as expensive since they already have most of the tech that they need. Especially if they go with a DCT. Granted, the "Technology" package that the hybrid drive train forces you to get could be to offset the actual cost of the system, but there's no proof of that either way.

I'd rather they kept it simple FWD/ICE/6spd, but there's "wrong wheel drive" people, market trends and emissions regulations to consider.

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You said that the MDX/RLX were almost double the price, only reason I mentioned it. They aren't, unless you fully option them. I never meant that the addition of their existing AWD system would only add 4k flat, just that it's not as expensive since they already have most of the tech that they need. Especially if they go with a DCT. Granted, the "Technology" package that the hybrid drive train forces you to get could be to offset the actual cost of the system, but there's no proof of that either way.

I'd rather they kept it simple FWD/ICE/6spd, but there's "wrong wheel drive" people, market trends and emissions regulations to consider.
I knew the base prices before hand, I was only targetting the hybrid AWD equipped while using a generalized statement. Either way, way too many unknowns, the internet just seems to be riding on whatever rumors they can get their hands on, as anything is possible, but not everything is feasible.. which I swear no one understands.

Hah, wrong wheel drive. I bought this car because it was FWD. I don't see a AWD system in the cards for the CTR, I personally think we are more likely to see electrification happen only at the front wheels.

Shred

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hopefully the AWD CTR is just a rumor, like that turbo 86 that's been coming since 1945. Or the 400 HP STi. Still fun to poke around at the what-ifs though.

Jpierro79

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 type R 2015 c300
Country flag
Platform does not equal chassis.
Using only one main Unibody base design limits chassis stiffness. It also limits shape if the exterior of the car. Honda said they are cutting model variants by 66 percent. That’s cause the platform can’t accommodate differences. So I don’t know how you think the main structures of a car can’t effect the chassis when it is the base of the chassis.
just like the 6th gen camaro uses a CTS chassis platform but it was better than 5th gen chassis. Lighter and stiffer.So unless the global platform is somehow better than the fk8 it will absolutely have an impact on the car. The platform is the floor and all the structure that makes the chassis stiff.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Most interesting tidbit in the available info links was that the 2022 CTR will be built in Japan - wonder if the motor will be also or "imported" from Anna, OH?

AVR

First Name
Alexis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SI Sedan, 2014 Pathfinder
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Last edited:

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
I hope it's a lot more exciting than that. I'd rank that on a 'Hey what's the latest bits from Pep Boy's I can put on my base Civic?' category of Type R.

HondaFan2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 PMM CTR (ex BMW 420d GC)
Country flag
I hope it's a lot more exciting than that. I'd rank that on a 'Hey what's the latest bits from Pep Boy's I can put on my base Civic?' category of Type R.
I had the same feeling seeing it. Those Type R elements don't blend in that well with the unassuming base car design. Whereas the more daring design of X does that better.

As I said I'm happy with the current car and I think that besides more "premium" feeling and tech, the new Type R won't bring significant performance improvements. Not enough to justify upgrading. Would be a waste of cash for me.
Sponsored