James
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Hey guys and gals. Looking for some input here and I hope I'm in the right place. As the title states, I am in the market to upgrade from my 9th gen and I am having trouble deciding which route I want to take.

While the Si is a fun little car that can be modified easily for nice gains, it is still no match for the Type R stock. If I bought the Si, I would modify it pretty much instantly. If I get the R, it will stay stock for quite some time.. Minus maybe a tune.

I guess my thing is, is it worth the extra $$ to buy the already quick R (used) or buy the Si(new) and modify the crap out of it?

I know I should just get what I like, but I'd really like to hear some opinions from people who are more familiar with this gen than I am.
Sponsored

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
I would take the TypeR. Slap in some 18in wheels and everytime I would like to have real fun put back the 20in. Save some money in the long run since those 20in tires are very expensive.
The depreciation rate of the R is a very good reason to consider it.

It doesn't matter what others say. But if you get the SI know that you can own the CTR you will feel like trash everytime you see one in the streets like I do when I see a EVO10. Be smarter than me :p

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Hey guys and gals. Looking for some input here and I hope I'm in the right place. As the title states, I am in the market to upgrade from my 9th gen and I am having trouble deciding which route I want to take.

While the Si is a fun little car that can be modified easily for nice gains, it is still no match for the Type R stock. If I bought the Si, I would modify it pretty much instantly. If I get the R, it will stay stock for quite some time.. Minus maybe a tune.

I guess my thing is, is it worth the extra $$ to buy the already quick R (used) or buy the Si(new) and modify the crap out of it?

I know I should just get what I like, but I'd really like to hear some opinions from people who are more familiar with this gen than I am.
Assuming Money is not an issue, the next thing to consider might be voiding of warranty by excessive mods.
If you get the R, and then do not feel the need to Mod it for some time, you can hope that you are covered by warranty, should anything go wrong in the 1st few years.

ie Think twice before Extensive Modding a NEW Si

OP
OP
DemonLunk

DemonLunk

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Assuming Money is not an issue, the next thing to consider might be voiding of warranty by excessive mods.
If you get the R, and then do not feel the need to Mod it for some time, you can hope that you are covered by warranty, should anything go wrong in the 1st few years.

ie Think twice before Extensive Modding a NEW Si
This is a VERY good point and one that I honestly didn't even consider.. I'm almost certain this just made my decision.. I knew it was a good idea to post here! Thanks!!

OP
OP
DemonLunk

DemonLunk

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I would take the TypeR. Slap in some 18in wheels and everytime I would like to have real fun put back the 20in. Save some money in the long run since those 20in tires are very expensive.
The depreciation rate of the R is a very good reason to consider it.

It doesn't matter what others say. But if you get the SI know that you can own the CTR you will feel like trash everytime you see one in the streets like I do when I see a EVO10. Be smarter than me :p
Lol agreed. My thoughts exactly. I already have some 18's I could put on there in the meantime.

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
If you have the money/prefer the hatchback then go for the Type-R. However, as an Si owner I can tell you that I do not envy the Type-R, hatchbacks aren't my favorite and the styling... well let's just say the styling really needs to fit your personality if you are going to be seen driving it around every day.

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you're dying for a coupe, get the SI. Otherwise, it's Type R no question.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Lol agreed. My thoughts exactly. I already have some 18's I could put on there in the meantime.
Are those 18s in 5x120 bolt pattern?

OP
OP
DemonLunk

DemonLunk

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
If you're dying for a coupe, get the SI. Otherwise, it's Type R no question.
I've always been a coupe guy and was very saddened by the fact that the Type R didn't come in a coupe. After looking around at some Type R's the hatchback is really growing on me though, so I'm sure I'll be happy with it.

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
I wouldn't ever by a Type-R used. No telling what is lingering to malfunction. It's the "nature of the beast".
If you are coming from a 2012 Civic EX, the Si would be quite the treat.
If 200hp (stock) isnt enough for you, then what are you doing in a '12 Civic?
Performance enhancements are simply an IC, Drop-In Filter, and tuner hardware - very simple.

krees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R & 2020 Ridgeline BE
Country flag
I'd say get the used type r given the choice between the two. I thought I'd want to mod my r pretty quickly (still do just because) but I've never really felt that it didn't have enough already. It's a fantastic driving experience. Not to detract from the si but if you are already considering the r, I think you'd be disappointed with the si unless you just need to modify something. The r is a near perfect blend (if not perfect) of sport, comfort, tech, and practicality with a warranty.

Good luck with the decision.

justasimpleman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 PWP FC1 Si
Country flag
Iā€™d be hesitant to buy a used si or used TypeR mainly due to what the car is... people donā€™t buy those type of vehicles to baby them (if they do, whatā€™s the point?). So no telling what itā€™s been through with the previous owner. Warranty will cover the short term, but long term is what Iā€™d be worried about.

Iā€™d love to own a TypeR, but if I canā€™t buy new, Iā€™m going with the new si.

My 0.02

OP
OP
DemonLunk

DemonLunk

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Iā€™d be hesitant to buy a used si or used TypeR mainly due to what the car is... people donā€™t buy those type of vehicles to baby them (if they do, whatā€™s the point?). So no telling what itā€™s been through with the previous owner. Warranty will cover the short term, but long term is what Iā€™d be worried about.

Iā€™d love to own a TypeR, but if I canā€™t buy new, Iā€™m going with the new si.

My 0.02
The only way I would buy used is if it has very low miles. I'm talking under 10k miles. There is a dealership kind of close by that is selling one as "used" but only has 4 miles on it. I'm waiting to hear back from them now.

OP
OP
DemonLunk

DemonLunk

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I'd say get the used type r given the choice between the two. I thought I'd want to mod my r pretty quickly (still do just because) but I've never really felt that it didn't have enough already. It's a fantastic driving experience. Not to detract from the si but if you are already considering the r, I think you'd be disappointed with the si unless you just need to modify something. The r is a near perfect blend (if not perfect) of sport, comfort, tech, and practicality with a warranty.

Good luck with the decision.
Thanks! This is what I've been thinking as well. Especially after I test drive the R. I'm used to slowmo 9th gen ex. Lol.
Sponsored