Ethanbw

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I just recently purchased a 2018 civic si (20k miles) this is my build plan and I am looking for advice, first time civic owner, by no means car expert, just like fast cars. I plan to do the modifications in stages:

Stage 1 (Ktuner 1.2)
PRL FMIC, PRL CAI, PRL FP/DP, Boomba BOV, Mishimoto Baffled Oil Catch Can, and the Hasport Rear Motor Mount

With a tune and all this I am anticipating I will be able to max out the 280 HP that the OEM turbo is good for? If I do get these gains is the BOV necessary? I dont care for a $125 noise maker.

Stage 2 (3 - 6 months later)
White Line Sway Bars, White Line lowering springs, Clutch Masters Clutch and Flywheel, Invidia Cat back exhaust.

Stage 3 (6 - 9 months from stage 1)
Coil Over suspension, potential block upgrades? Potentially the big turbo? (pretty unsure with this part.)

I am mostly looking for advice on stages 1 and 2, are my expectations for gains realistic?

Is there benefit to changing the order of things?

Can the engine handle 280HP?

Can the engine handle up to 350 with a bigger turbo?

If not are there good upgrades to beef up the engine before the according stages?

Thanks guys, let me know your thoughts!
Sponsored

Neddih

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Let me beat everyone to it and tell you to skip the BOV since it really messes with the ECU. :dance:

280hp with those bolt ons is going to mainly rely on your tuning but I believe that number is a bit high but i may be wrong., normally flex fuel or an upgraded turbo are seen when the numbers get close to 300hp.

I believe MAPerformance has run higher than 350hp on the stock block but in general once you pass ~300 and want more you would be better off upgrading engine internals before pushing further.

OP
OP

Ethanbw

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Let me beat everyone to it and tell you to skip the BOV since it really messes with the ECU. :dance:

280hp with those bolt ons is going to mainly rely on your tuning but I believe that number is a bit high but i may be wrong., normally flex fuel or an upgraded turbo are seen when the numbers get close to 300hp.

I believe MAPerformance has run higher than 350hp on the stock block but in general once you pass ~300 and want more you would be better off upgrading engine internals before pushing further.
Good to know about the BOV

So before upgrading the turbo, and given it is not a flex fuel, how much power would you anticipate with a good tune after the stage 1 upgrades?

Then how much additional power given the same system, but with a bigger turbo and tune?

Neddih

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Good to know about the BOV

So before upgrading the turbo, and given it is not a flex fuel, how much power would you anticipate with a good tune after the stage 1 upgrades?

Then how much additional power given the same system, but with a bigger turbo and tune?

That question i'm not sure about so I will hope someone else can answer. And if anyone could give you the best estimate it would probably be DROB if he sees this.

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Heard bad things about the whiteline springs. If you're planning on getting coilovers a few months after springs, why not just get coilovers from the beginning? I'd consider the Tein Flex Z coils if I was you! They're at a great price point and include pillowball upper mounts and ADS cancelers so you won't get an error light on your dash for disconnecting the factory Si 2-way struts.

The BOV is 100% unnecessary, and the catback may be unnecessary, too. After intake, front pipe, down pipe and RMM, you'll probably have a lot of noise in the cabin. The catback will just make everything louder and add drone with no performance benefit.

Annexed

First Name
Austen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
I just recently purchased a 2018 civic si (20k miles) this is my build plan and I am looking...

I am mostly looking for advice on stages 1 and 2, are my expectations for gains realistic?

Can the engine handle 280HP?

Thanks guys, let me know your thoughts!
182whp / 206tq - Factory Calibration
208whp / 258tq - Ktuner Starter 23psi
237whp / 281tq - TSP Stage 1 Tune
245whp / 278tq - Ktuner Starter 23psi w/ Flex Fuel
270whp / 327tq - TSP Stage 2 Tune w/ Flex Fuel
Also if you want something similar noises to a BOV I would get the PRL cobra cold air intake. Also with this type of power you will definitely need a new clutch unless you are careful. Lot of people like Eman's type R retrofit clutch.

OP
OP

Ethanbw

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Okay interesting, so you really believe that with nothing but flex fuel and TSP stage 2 you can get 270whp? Yeah I am really careful and easy on my clutch, but am already planning to do the type R retro.

I have heard mixed things on the flex fuel. I have met a few guys that run pump e85 with no flex fuel kit and say the car loves it. I also have heard without the flex fuel kit you will kill your engine.

OP
OP

Ethanbw

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Good info, as I am not 16 any longer I don't really care to do anything to the car just to make it loud and obnoxious. Sounds like CAI and RMM is the best bang for your buck?

Other than running e85 and the flex kit?
Sponsored