New 2018 Civic LX Sedan

nsmacdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic LX, 2016 Honda Odyssey
Just traded my trusty little Honda Fit in for a 2018 Civic LX. What I expected to be just a minor trade for a new compact vehicle has turned into what feels like quite an upgrade - I love this Civic!!

We are a two-car family - my wife drives a 2016 Odyssey which we use for family trips and whatnot - so this Civic is my daily driver to/from work and errands, etc. I drive a stick and it's a fun little sedan for zooming around town - a lot more pep and comfort than I was expecting, and much nicer than the Fit in so many ways.

The LX trim is equipped with a number of nice-to-have features: auto climate control, auto headlights, external temperature gauge, headed side mirrors, heated seats, Apple Carplay, cruise, auto up/down windows, etc. The one puzzling omission is the lack of variable intermittent wipers - what?! With everything else this trim level comes with, it seems very odd that they'd exclude such an obvious feature. I've already started searching to see if there is any way to install this in the LX Civic with the EX part - they had success with the last generation, so I'm hopeful.

The electronic parking brake took a bit of getting used to, but I think I like it. I've driven manuals for almost 25 years, and setting the handbrake is so routine for me now that the motion of doing that had to be unlearned, but it's all good!

Minor as it is, I had been hoping for that beautiful blue, but I ended up with black. Honda really needs to do better with their colour options - our Odyssey is white (base model in that case, and white and black were the only choices). With this Civic it was the end of the model year, so they had no blues in manual LX at all in the region. Not a huge deal - the black is quite nice, although hard to keep clean - but I do wish Honda would start offering more colour choices generally.

Now to decide between Blizzaks or x-Ice (or something else)...
Sponsored

daBiker68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX - Lunar Silver Metallic 2017 Subaru Forester - Quartz Blue Pearl
Country flag
As a fellow resident of NS, welcome to the LX club! I've got one as well, quite pleased with it, and hate that there is no variable setting for the wipers - main reason I wish had gone with the SE...

For tires, I picked up a set of Canadian Tire's Motomaster Winter Edge... I find that they have been good in both the icy/slush and heavy rain conditions we had last week. Good price as well (I have used both Blizzak's and X-Ice on other vehicles, and find these very suitable). Having only had them on for a month or so, I can't speak to how they will wear, but the reviews seem to be good.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/tires/pdp/motomaster-winter-edge-tire-0044904p.0078504.html

Brakes88

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 TYP SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Formerly from NS currently in Edmonton with a 17 LX MT MSM welcome! Any plans for mods? I've added the factory fog lights, leather steering and gloss black grill from the hatchback. How are you liking the car?

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Sometimes I forget how different the Canada trims are from the U.S ones. LX Trim here doesn't have carplay, heated seats, or the color digital gauge cluster.

OP
OP

nsmacdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic LX, 2016 Honda Odyssey
As a fellow resident of NS, welcome to the LX club! I've got one as well, quite pleased with it, and hate that there is no variable setting for the wipers - main reason I wish had gone with the SE...

For tires, I picked up a set of Canadian Tire's Motomaster Winter Edge... I find that they have been good in both the icy/slush and heavy rain conditions we had last week. Good price as well (I have used both Blizzak's and X-Ice on other vehicles, and find these very suitable). Having only had them on for a month or so, I can't speak to how they will wear, but the reviews seem to be good.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/tires/pdp/motomaster-winter-edge-tire-0044904p.0078504.html

Not only a fellow NS resident, but also a fellow Passage resident! Small world! :)

Just reading these posts now, after purchasing the x-ice tires from Costco and waiting over three weeks for the installation (just done today, in fact). I must say, I drove to work in some of the snowy weather we've had lately and the stock all-seasons did okay. The manual tranny helps, of course. I'm still happy to finally have proper winter tires on, though. It's shaping up to be a long winter (and now that I said that, December will be warm and sunny!).

Brakes88, I really like this car. It's fun to drive, comfortable, pretty good on gas. The only thing I don't love is the centre console - I find it is awkward, especially when using the drink holders. Storage generally is a bit odd overall, but I've found that in many Hondas I've driven over the years. I might look into the fog lights... I find the headlights a bit lacking on wet, dark nights.

jred721, interesting about the difference in trim options. I knew there were differences but those are fairly significant.
Sponsored