Negative Miles on Maintenance Minder

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
Since the post was almost a month ago, OP's probably already had the oil changed - but one thing someone in this situation could do to cover themselves would be to have the used oil sent to Blackstone Labs for analysis and pay the extra $10 for a TBN analysis. That would tell whether the oil had any life left in it or not. If it did, that report would be useful to counter any damages the dealership might later try to blame on the oil.
Sponsored

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
Legally, how is the oil supervisory sensor accurate ? It is very essential to keep engine safe ?
Is it essential because of the use of 0-20 oil ?

Any idea ?

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
Hondas have had them for 10+ years now. It's just a better way to make sure people who drive lots of short drives get their oil changed soon enough, while also not making people who drive longer drives have to change their oil needlessly early.

Keeping your Honda running well is pretty simple - do what Honda (the manufacturer, not your local dealership) says to do. That includes changing the oil when the oil life gets to 0%.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Legally, how is the oil supervisory sensor accurate ? It is very essential to keep engine safe ?
Is it essential because of the use of 0-20 oil ?

Any idea ?
From what I understand the sensor doesn't actually monitor the oil at all, it just estimates the condition of it based upon the history of your trip characteristics. As @josby said, Honda has been using the system for quite some time now.

vikz99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX, 2015 Honda Pilot EX-L, 2015 Nissan 370Z Nismo
Country flag
Hondas have had them for 10+ years now. It's just a better way to make sure people who drive lots of short drives get their oil changed soon enough, while also not making people who drive longer drives have to change their oil needlessly early.

Keeping your Honda running well is pretty simple - do what Honda (the manufacturer, not your local dealership) says to do. That includes changing the oil when the oil life gets to 0%.
or oil changed once a year, even if oil life if not at 0%

sonicBOOMgray

Banned
Civic was washed away in Houston Harvey maelstrom
Banned
First Name
UNK (uncle)
Threads
Reaction score
my LX was scathed in Harvey...Houston 42 feet unda
Website
a.msn.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Hatch PMM LX HS 0w-20 FF 5650 miles, 06 Accord V6 MC 5w-20, 95 SC300 V6 QS 10w-30
OP: Relax, I reset my settings and MM by accident several times while fumbling but learning the ropes. I am at 5500 miles on the ODO "clock" so what you can extrapolate from that is if I had not reset the MM by accident on two occasions, my oil change would have been at 3500-4000 miles. No way I am changing my FF early.

You might have helped yourself out a tremendous amount by leaving the FF in longer. I know I am and i am only at 5500 miles and in no real hurry. I might try to break your record cause leaving the FF in longer actually helps to prevent future oil burning and compensation. I bet you didn't know that. Keep in mind, I reset it on accident twice with sig time clips in between and have 5500 miles and not worried. It was too early anyway and it doesn't monitor the oil itself, just driving statistics, to me, not long enough. You did good work, good job.

somarilnos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
FWIW, to deny a warranty claim, they would have to prove that the failure to provide adequate maintenance caused the problem that you're making a claim for.

Had you left the oil in there for 20,000 miles and bricked your engine with the hardened sludge? Absolutely they will deny a warranty.

For 4,000-5,000 miles? You didn't break your engine from that.
Sponsored