Needed help identify these mysterious scratches on my car!!!!

oliviaiiii

First Name
Olivia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Legacy, TT, Civic LX,
Country flag
Greetings everyone.

First of all, please bear with my dirty car. It is very depressing in winter times in New England and car was neglected.

I noticed these scratches today and wondering what was the cause! these scratches are on left rear panel. Car was purchase last year. Daily drive. Outdoor garage assigned spot parking. I do like to park far away from everybody when I go shopping. Recent couple of months I had more highway drive. I do tend to stay in very left lane would this be the cause?? Anyone experienced same thing?

Any help would be really appreciated, thanks in advance!!

Here are some pictures:

Honda Civic 10th gen Needed help identify these mysterious scratches on my car!!!! upload_2018-5-7_21-56-22

Honda Civic 10th gen Needed help identify these mysterious scratches on my car!!!! upload_2018-5-7_21-56-52

Honda Civic 10th gen Needed help identify these mysterious scratches on my car!!!! upload_2018-5-7_22-3-23

Honda Civic 10th gen Needed help identify these mysterious scratches on my car!!!! upload_2018-5-7_22-5-24

Honda Civic 10th gen Needed help identify these mysterious scratches on my car!!!! upload_2018-5-7_22-6-6

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag
Animals? Does your car smell like piss?

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If I had to throw a guess out there... I'd say somebody with a purse/bag with zippers/metal on the side dragged it down the side of your car. Those are pretty low to be a cart or belt buckle. That first one looks like somebody really scrapped something down the side. Did anybody snowblow around the car over the winter?

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i found similar scratches on the rear bumper and trunk of my car, it turned out to be the water hose dragged by the gardener around my car on saturday morning. I realized the cause only the third time it happened because hose was still there. Fortunately I was able to polish the paint back to a decent condition.

OP
OP
oliviaiiii

oliviaiiii

First Name
Olivia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Legacy, TT, Civic LX,
Country flag
i found similar scratches on the rear bumper and trunk of my car, it turned out to be the water hose dragged by the gardener around my car on saturday morning. I realized the cause only the third time it happened because hose was still there. Fortunately I was able to polish the paint back to a decent condition.
How do you polish polish it?any link of tutor from your or others? I don’t know which body shop in my area wouldnt taking advantage of female customer. Thanks a bunch!!

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There are thousands of videos on how to polish out scratches online. You'll need a buffing wheel and some compound.

I would leave it to somebody who has some experience tho. You can really damage your paint with rubbing compound and a wheel if you don't know what you're doing.

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag
How do you polish polish it?any link of tutor from your or others? I don’t know which body shop in my area wouldnt taking advantage of female customer. Thanks a bunch!!
Get a polishing compound at the local auto store and start slow, rubbing the area around the scratches. Or even a light polish by hand with a good filler wax.

If u have the equipment, buff it out, buffing does less damage because it literally liquifies the clear coat and smooths it over.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Get a polishing compound at the local auto store and start slow, rubbing the area around the scratches. Or even a light polish by hand with a good filler wax.

If u have the equipment, buff it out, buffing does less damage because it literally liquifies the clear coat and smooths it over.
Buffing does not "liquify" the clear coat... Buffing is just sanding with very high grit. You're removing material. You're thinning the clear coat every time you buff your car, so eventually you can remove all the clear coat and start removing paint.

Honda Civic 10th gen Needed help identify these mysterious scratches on my car!!!! scratch-graph

typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag
What kind of car wash do you use?

Could be dirt on the brushes of a cloth wash if you've ever used one, even once.

A good detail shop should be able to buff that out though.

cypress

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had a couple light scratches like that near the bumper. Used Meguiars Scratch-X to quickly take them out. I would try something like that out first. Always start with the least abbrassive.

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
It looks like your car was brought through a very dirty automatic car wash. Those automatic carwashes have many cars go through them and the brushes and rags will hold dirt and create surfaces scratches like the ones you have.

Buffing or polishing will take them out, but just don't over do it. Probably best to take it to a professional detailer if possible.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

warsaws

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civicx
Country flag
No idea why you're quoting me on that link. I already know how to cut and buff a car.

I stand by what I said earlier. You can very easily do more harm than good with a wheel and compound if you don't know what you're doing.
I wonder if it’s because that link talks about the liquefying?

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag
I wonder if it’s because that link talks about the liquefying?
Bingo. Although I may have been a bit misleading. It does less damage as in it doesn't remove clear coat if done correctly. Buy one can easily f it up.
Sponsored