Need Wiring Advice

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L Sedan
Country flag
Ok so I have fuse taps to fit my fuse box and stuff but they all have 16 gauge wires to connect too, but all the aftermarket footwell LED lights I can find only have 20 gauge leads max. How in the world would I safely power the lights from the fuse tap wire? I would use a wire tap but I’m gonna wire the lights in series with a mountable switch on the dash after I connect to power.
Sponsored

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
I'm a little confused here. But so long as the (combined) amperage doesn't exceed the capacity of the (fuse protected) wiring; it's supposed to be good.

The 'add-a-circuit' taps can be a bit tricky if not used properly. It's easy to wire them backwards. I'd encourage you to find the specs and do the math (and measure it with a meter).

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
If the LED lights use 20 gauge leads, they certainly aren't going to draw enough current to overheat 16 gauge wires. Now if it were the other way around you'd need to be concerned. Now, you do need to consider what else is drawing power on those wires at the fuse box as they could already be drawing near the max amps for those wires. Doubtful as there's usually decent headroom, but worth bearing in mind.
Sponsored