Jayz.91

First Name
Julien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 SGP Sport Touring
Country flag
Hey guys, so I recently got the Greddy DD-R installed on my sport and it’s loadssss louder than I expected. The sound clips did not do justice to the loud ?
While there’s a little drone when driving it honestly doesn’t bother me at all. What does bother me is getting up to go to work at 3 am and waking the whole neighborhood when I start my car. Is there any way to quiet down the cold start so it doesn’t rev so hard?
Would adding a resonator help? The exhaust doesn’t have one. I also read something about packing the mufflers with fiberglass?
Sponsored

UnknownNate

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback CVT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
If you wanna go full high tech you could get electronically controlled baffles to quiet it with the push of a button. Also generally resonators only target specific annoying frequencies and take out drone more, while mufflers bring down volume throughout the entire frequency range, so you'd probably want to change/add a muffler.

OP
OP
Jayz.91

Jayz.91

First Name
Julien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 SGP Sport Touring
Country flag
Well that makes sense since they’re called mufflers. That was kind of dumb on my part.
Is adding a muffler in place of a resonator a thing? Like on the mid pipe? Because the exhaust does have two compact mufflers on the end, I’d rather add more muffling on top of whatever those already do.

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
waking the whole neighborhood
I commend your sense of courtesy, but what makes you think you wake the whole neighborhood? If no one cares but you, ??.

OP
OP
Jayz.91

Jayz.91

First Name
Julien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 SGP Sport Touring
Country flag
I commend your sense of courtesy, but what makes you think you wake the whole neighborhood? If no one cares but you, ??.
Well you're right in that no one's complained yet. I suppose I'm just anxious that someone will.

UnknownNate

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback CVT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Well that makes sense since they’re called mufflers. That was kind of dumb on my part.
Is adding a muffler in place of a resonator a thing? Like on the mid pipe? Because the exhaust does have two compact mufflers on the end, I’d rather add more muffling on top of whatever those already do.
You can "upgrade" the mufflers to larger/different designed ones that muffle more than the 2 that are already there. I'm sure you could add one in place of a resonator, but I don't really see a point in doing that. Honestly though, if you stay in Drive/Eco mode and (if you have a manual) stay at a higher gear it shouldn't be too unbearably loud for your neighbors.

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
I think if you blip the throttle it'll switch to normal idle rpm.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
I think if you blip the throttle it'll switch to normal idle rpm.
Not even almost. You'll just make a little rev noise and maybe warm up a tiny bit faster. It's about emission control standards.

Robot3RK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
You essentially bought a straight pipe exhaust. That's what the Greddy DD-R is and why it's so loud. You should have gone with the Greddy SP instead or another alternative that has mufflers.

OsirisPalko

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
The idle rpm is based on the coolant temperature, the best thing you can do in this scenario aside from replacing the exhaust is to turn on and start going, not sitting 5 mins to warm up etc.. it'll be fine.

Ps if you live in a city people are probably used to it. When I lived in a quieter area I would be conscious about this but it's no different than those cars you can hear a mile away, or emergency services, etc. The town I live in now, everyone's got a loud exhaust lol.
Sponsored