Need suggestion on my new Type R from those who tuned theirs

Learn2turn

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Toyota Longbed PU, '95 (Drift Toy) Miata, '05 Tuned Gran Prix White S2000, '19 Championship White C-Type R
Country flag
Now you need flex fuel. Well, it is nice but fuel is the issue in your budget.

Don't bother switching back and forth, just dive deeply into the Hondata content and start reading the FK8 Wiki.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

SiR

First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, 2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
Now you need flex fuel. Well, it is nice but fuel is the issue in your budget.

Don't bother switching back and forth, just dive deeply into the Hondata content and start reading the FK8 Wiki.
yea.... I rather not bother using more fancy fuel. 91 here is already about $1.3 USD per litre. It's not cheap

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I just did the jailbreak online with Hondata. How do you compare the base tunes on Ktuner and Hondata?

I'm running on a Hondata base map with 91 Octane increased throttle and full power on 1st and 2nd, with TC turned off. I like it so far, there's a noticeable difference, especially when accelerating on 3rd gear. Definitely faster mid range.

I haven't tried Ktuner base map by DRob yet, and I wonder if it's worth all the trouble of unlocking hondata, Ktuner flash, try things out, if I don't like it, go back to Hondata and relock, and flash. And I have to do it with PC back and forth.
Hondata remote jailbreak wasn't available in March 2019 wen I tuned my car.

I only ran a base map on Ktuner for a couple months and realized I needed a tune. Ktuner base map on stage 0 did 328whp and 353wtq on a DynoJet. It was a good base map, but I realized I needed a custom tune cause I was leaving at least 30-40 whp on the table.

You mentioned you don't trust Hondata basemap, how so? and can you compare the basemaps so I can decide if I wana go through all the trouble to test things.
How can I compare basemaps when I never ran both?

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 2006 Mazda 6
Country flag

I only ran a base map on Ktuner for a couple months and realized I needed a tune. Ktuner base map on stage 0 did 328whp and 353wtq on a DynoJet. It was a good base map, but I realized I needed a custom tune cause I was leaving at least 30-40 whp on the table.

Try the stage 1.1. The mid range torque is so strong. @SiR

OP
OP

SiR

First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have both Ktuner v2 and Hondata. I just flashed the 1.1 to my V2, and eager to try it out. I'm running on the 91 octane hondata base map right now.

How do you like the 1.1 so far? tried any Hondata basemaps?

OP
OP

SiR

First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Oh, I thought you had both Ktuner and Hondata, so I just assumed.

Why did you ran stage 0 instead of stage 1 though? longevity reasons?

How's the Etune experience with DRob? I haven't done any Etunes, and would like to try it out when I have more bolt ons

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yea, I just flashed the 1.1 to my V2, and eager to try it out. I'm running on the 91 octane hondata base map right now.

How do you like the 1.1 so far? tried any Hondata basemaps?
It has instant pick up and really shines in the mid range. I have never had hondata, but from what I’ve researched, this specific tune was designed by D. Rob and offers more power than the Honda base maps (with zero other supporting mods).
I use 93 btw

OP
OP

SiR

First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It has instant pick up and really shines in the mid range. I have never had hondata, but from what I’ve researched, this specific tune was designed by D. Rob and offers more power than the Honda base maps (with zero other supporting mods).
I use 93 btw
yea, It's either 91 or 94 here in Canada, and I have no idea how the 91 compare to your 93

maybe half 91 and half 94?

OP
OP

SiR

First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yea, I tried the 1.1 more, and I Am leaning towards it more than Hondata base maps. The power delivery feels stronger and consistent through out the rpm. Reminds me of the tsp stage 1 on my previous Si. On 1.1 I was able to keep up with a mustang GT yesterday from a traffic light start. stock definitely would have struggled.

Hondata is great for customization with all the options like TC, low end damping, and all the mods to play around. But for a canned tune 1.1 is great. I probably stick with it until I get bolt on

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yea, I tried the 1.1 more, and I Am leaning towards it more than Hondata base maps. The power delivery feels stronger and consistent through out the rpm. Reminds me of the tsp stage 1 on my previous Si. On 1.1 I was able to keep up with a mustang GT yesterday from a traffic light start. stock definitely would have struggled.

Hondata is great for customization with all the options like TC, low end damping, and all the mods to play around. But for a canned tune 1.1 is great. I probably stick with it until I get bolt on
I came from a TSP stage 1 si as well, and eventually stage 2. Are you getting traction in 2nd? Mine will spin bad. I did had ktuner do some complimentary dampening in 1st and 2nd but I still get spin. Wish there was a video on how to dampen the base maps yourself. I can see the torque targets by boost, but the numbers are very specific with decimal points so I am not sure what to change them to.
I’m also sticking with the base map until I get more mods.

OP
OP

SiR

First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I came from a TSP stage 1 si as well, and eventually stage 2. Are you getting traction in 2nd? Mine will spin bad. I did had ktuner do some complimentary dampening in 1st and 2nd but I still get spin. Wish there was a video on how to dampen the base maps yourself. I can see the torque targets by boost, but the numbers are very specific with decimal points so I am not sure what to change them to.
I’m also sticking with the base map until I get more mods.
Hahaha, I see our driving history has a lot in common. I got the K&N drop in filter the first week I got my R, and nothing else yet.

ok, now to traction issue. I think a lot have to do with it, like temperature, tires, throttle control, pavement...... I had a lot of spinning with the stock Conti tires, and the car didn't have any tune, completely stock everything, and I constantly spin in 1st and 2nd. It's winter here now around 5-8 C mostly, and it's any time I wana spin the tire, Done. Was so easy on the 20" summer tires.

Then I changed my Tires to Michelin pilot sport all seasons M+S 255/40 18, with superspeed rims. It was such a big improvement, you really have to throttle hard in 1st or 2nd to make any spin, and it never happens in 3rd any more. Now, I have limited experience with stage 1.1 since I just flashed it yesterday. But, there was this Subaru STI tailing me close on highway, so at a "S" shaped uphill ramp I decided to test the tune. I did a 5th to 4th to 3rd Downshift along the way and gapped the STI, which was obviously trying hard to keep up. Sure I didn't full throttle, but with the tune I had more than enough to loose the STI, and I didn't have any traction issue at all. I know for a fact I would have spun my tires if I was still in the stock Conti tire.

The stage 1.1 throttle response does require more careful control. When I just flashed the car, on highway, gave it a little bit and I found myself around 120kph in no time. big difference compare to stock. What tires you running on?

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hahaha, I see our driving history has a lot in common. I got the K&N drop in filter the first week I got my R, and nothing else yet.

ok, now to traction issue. I think a lot have to do with it, like temperature, tires, throttle control, pavement...... I had a lot of spinning with the stock Conti tires, and the car didn't have any tune, completely stock everything, and I constantly spin in 1st and 2nd. It's winter here now around 5-8 C mostly, and it's any time I wana spin the tire, Done. Was so easy on the 20" summer tires.

Then I changed my Tires to Michelin pilot sport all seasons M+S 255/40 18, with superspeed rims. It was such a big improvement, you really have to throttle hard in 1st or 2nd to make any spin, and it never happens in 3rd any more. Now, I have limited experience with stage 1.1 since I just flashed it yesterday. But, there was this Subaru STI tailing me close on highway, so at a "S" shaped uphill ramp I decided to test the tune. I did a 5th to 4th to 3rd Downshift along the way and gapped the STI, which was obviously trying hard to keep up. Sure I didn't full throttle, but with the tune I had more than enough to loose the STI, and I didn't have any traction issue at all. I know for a fact I would have spun my tires if I was still in the stock Conti tire.

The stage 1.1 throttle response does require more careful control. When I just flashed the car, on highway, gave it a little bit and I found myself around 120kph in no time. big difference compare to stock. What tires you running on?
Too funny. I’m on 255/40/18 pilot sport 4s on Konig flow formed wheels. My only other mod is the prl hvi. I’m in Florida and when it’s in the 50’s Fahrenheit i will briefly lose traction in 3rd!
I was pulling on sti’s when I was stock. My good friend has an STI stage 2 built IAG motor with a tomei turbo making 412whp, and from a 2nd gear roll he doesn’t pull me until 100. We did the 1/4 mile twice and his best mph is 113 while mine is 110.

OP
OP

SiR

First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Too funny. I’m on 255/40/18 pilot sport 4s on Konig flow formed wheels. My only other mod is the prl hvi. I’m in Florida and when it’s in the 50’s Fahrenheit i will briefly lose traction in 3rd!
I was pulling on sti’s when I was stock. My good friend has an STI stage 2 built IAG motor with a tomei turbo making 412whp, and from a 2nd gear roll he doesn’t pull me until 100. We did the 1/4 mile twice and his best mph is 113 while mine is 110.
Tuned STI can be dangerous. I have a friend with 360whp, and it was already very fast from a launch.

I think I just haven't pushed the stage 1.1 hard enough, since i'm still testing and checking misfires before I go WOT.

Are you going to get DP+FP? I'm considering it, and hope Ktuner comes out with a Stage 1.1 w/DP
Sponsored