Need some help

tcl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T SOLD June 2016
Vehicle Showcase
It would be nice to know what caused the failure. It could have been something as simple as insufficient or contaminated fluid put in at the factory. If something like that happened it wouldn't hurt my confidence in the car. On the other hand, if it becomes a widespread issue affecting many other cars I would be nervous about it.
Sponsored

Last edited:

astein244@

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Civic LX Manual,1995 Civic Del Sol SI 278k,1995 BMW M3 5 speed (rip),1992 SC300 5 speedl(rip),2005 Is300 5 speed(rip)
if somebody didn't already say it. there should be a book with your owners manuals with LEMON LAWS. if they sold you a bad car you do have rights!

CivicTouring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2014 Ram 1500, 2016 Harley Ultra Limited
Calm down, you bought a new car and it had a failure, sure that is not what you want to have happen but you get a warranty with that new car and it will take care of any problems at Honda's cost not yours. Mass produced products will have a certain number of failures there is no getting around that, you happened to have gotten a transmission that has a problem, yes irritating for you but it happens. Honda is under no obligation to give you a different car because of a problem, they are obligated to fix any defects that occur while your Honda is under warranty and they are doing that.

A car is not like buying a item in the store that you can just take back and have it exchanged. With a car you have financing to consider as well as registering of said vehicle with the state you live in which involves the recording of VIN number and title.

I used to be a line mechanic for a Dodge dealer, yes using the term line mechanic dates me, but we had a customer who always bought Buick's but him being in sales he was not doing as well as in the past so he bought a Dodge Omni. That is quite a step down from the Buick's he was used to driving. Well Dodge Omni's had a whine in the transaxles, it was normal but this customer complained about it. To make a long story short I ended up putting in a total of five different brand new transaxles in that Dodge Omni and after the fifth transaxle he still complained. Chrysler sent down a rep and that rep meet with the customer and told him to pick any Dodge Omni on the lot and they would test drive it together and Chrysler would give him that car in place of the one he had bought but with the understanding that he and the rep test drive the car he picked and he understood the noises it makes. The man picked a Dodge Omni off the lot they test drove it and it made the same whine that all of them made and Chrysler did all the required paper work to exchange the vehicles.

We never saw that man again.

Now why is this a rare thing for dealers/manufactures to do? Because when they take back your car they can no longer sell it as a new car because it has been titled so it is now considered a used car.

CivicTouring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2014 Ram 1500, 2016 Harley Ultra Limited
A comment about lemon laws, I live in Florida so I will address it from that stand point. The lemon law in Florida will activate if you have five visits for the same issue and it is not resolved or the car is out of service I believe it is a total of thirty days. I had a 2006 Honda Accord Hybrid that had a multi cylinder misfire that would set off the check engine light. Honda never could fix that multi cylinder misfire, but they did recalibrate the computer system so that the check engine light would not come on due to that issue. They had the car for two days short of the 30 days and returned to us. We did not qualify for the lemon law for that vehicle when it was in fact a lemon. That kept me from even considering a Honda for the next decade. We did put 125,000 miles on that Accord Hybrid but if you checked the codes there would always be multiple codes for multi cylinder misfire no matter how many times you cleared them.

When you would accelerate from a stop you could hear the engine give a backfire. Some people the problem was so bad that their Accord Hybrids would backfire and the car would just fall flat on its face and not accelerate making it a danger to driver in traffic. Ours was not that bad. Honda did end up taking a few of those cars back under the lemon laws.

Now just because you meet the letter of the lemon law does not mean you are going to get a new car, I had a friend who bought an Oldsmobile diesel back when GM was making their V-8 diesel that was a piece of garbage. Every time he turned around the car was being towed back to the dealer because it would quit running. He went to the lemon law to try and get the car replaced and even with 23 documented issues of having the car towed to the dealer with the same problem the arbitrator from the state said lets give the dealer another chance to fix the car. So when he got the car back he took it to another dealer and traded it for a different brand of car. If ever there was a solid case for the lemon law to protect the consumer that was the case.
Sponsored