Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I bought a new civic touring about a week ago
And notice there was something wrong with the
Transmission. I got it into the dealer and they told me
The whole transmission needs to be replaced.

I've completely lost my confidence with this car
Regarding reliability and longevity.

So here are my questions.
* Is it possible to get my money back in full? The car only has 80 miles on it.
* Can I get a whole new civic?
* Should I ask for an extended powertrain warranty?
* Is there any legal action I should take?
* Or should I just let them put a new trans in?

I've never had a problem like this with my old car
So I really don't know what I should or need to do so please any help you guys can give me is truly appreciated.
Sponsored

jmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
Dang dude. I guess a new transmission would be good, since you know it is brand new.....however, I see why you don't have confidence in the car now. I would probably just ask for a new one, but then you risk having it happen in that too. I have a feeling they are going to tell me the same thing. Theres definitely something wrong with my car.

OP
OP
domm92

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Dang dude. I guess a new transmission would be good, since you know it is brand new.....however, I see why you don't have confidence in the car now. I would probably just ask for a new one, but then you risk having it happen in that too. I have a feeling they are going to tell me the same thing. Theres definitely something wrong with my car.
At 30 miles the transmissions bad.
so whats to say it wont go bad again in the future and outside the warranty?
it really does suck. I really want everyone to know about this before buying because
unfortunately i do regret this purchase and wish for my money back.

i wish you luck with you car.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wow. I'm sorry to hear you guys are having issues, that's incredibly disappointing/kinda scary.

I would let them replace the tranny. Keep an eye on lemon laws in your state, if they attempt a certain number of repairs and it's not fixed, you can get the whole purchase price back.

Yours was clearly screwed from the factory.

OP
OP
domm92

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wow. I'm sorry to hear you guys are having issues, that's incredibly disappointing/kinda scary.

I would let them replace the tranny. Keep an eye on lemon laws in your state, if they attempt a certain number of repairs and it's not fixed, you can get the whole purchase price back.

Yours was clearly screwed from the factory.
Yea i think if the car is in the shop 3 times for the same issue
with in a certain amount of miles/years then its considered a lemon.

mcopolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura CSX, Honda Civic Touring
I bought a new civic touring about a week ago
And notice there was something wrong with the
Transmission. I got it into the dealer and they told me
The whole transmission needs to be replaced.

I've completely lost my confidence with this car
Regarding reliability and longevity.

So here are my questions.
* Is it possible to get my money back in full? The car only has 80 miles on it.
* Can I get a whole new civic?
* Should I ask for an extended powertrain warranty?
* Is there any legal action I should take?
* Or should I just let them put a new trans in?

I've never had a problem like this with my old car
So I really don't know what I should or need to do so please any help you guys can give me is truly appreciated.
Do you mind telling us what was wrong with your transmission?

What were the symptoms that made you think that your transmission is bad and that you should take it in to the dealer?

Cause I also have a touring and just want to know the signs to look out for. =)

OP
OP
domm92

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Do you mind telling us what was wrong with your transmission?

What were the symptoms that made you think that your transmission is bad and that you should take it in to the dealer?

Cause I also have a touring and just want to know the signs to look out for. =)
this is the original post i made if you want to read threw that.
http://www.civicx.com/threads/possible-cvt-issue.1289/

At low speeds i was experiencing bucking and jerking from the transmission before coming to a stop.
the service guy took it for a spin and said the car is not "shifting" and said he had my car at 7000 rpm.
he smelt burning from the transmission also.
(i thought a cvt didnt shift but idk)

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
CVTs do change ratios. Since the ratios are continuously variable, it doesn't really "shift" in the sense of change from one fixed ratio to the other with no power transfer during the change. But it does change ratios. Constantly. Except the Civic throws in a not-quite-CVT-like behavior of, under heavy throttle conditions, changing ratios in steps. I think this is more about customer perception than anything else--they are used to it doing this and think if it's not "it isn't as fast".

Sorry to hear about your broken CVT. You probably have no better (less bad?) answer than letting them replace it under warranty. But I wouldn't, yet, infer anything more about the overall reliability of the car or transmission than sometimes mass produced items don't come out right and that these problems are more likely at the beginning of a production run than at the end. (Not very comforting, I understand.) There is no history of generic problems with recent Honda CVTs that I can find. The one mated to the 1.5T engine is, supposedly, derived from the one used in some levels of Accord for some time now.

OP
OP
domm92

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
CVTs do change ratios. Since the ratios are continuously variable, it doesn't really "shift" in the sense of change from one fixed ratio to the other with no power transfer during the change. But it does change ratios. Constantly. Except the Civic throws in a not-quite-CVT-like behavior of, under heavy throttle conditions, changing ratios in steps. I think this is more about customer perception than anything else--they are used to it doing this and think if it's not "it isn't as fast".

Sorry to hear about your broken CVT. You probably have no better (less bad?) answer than letting them replace it under warranty. But I wouldn't, yet, infer anything more about the overall reliability of the car or transmission than sometimes mass produced items don't come out right and that these problems are more likely at the beginning of a production run than at the end. (Not very comforting, I understand.) There is no history of generic problems with recent Honda CVTs that I can find. The one mated to the 1.5T engine is, supposedly, derived from the one used in some levels of Accord for some time now.

i knew about them using an accord cvt, so i was somewhat more comfortable knowing its been out for a couple years.
i guess only time will tell how big this problem will become. A couple people (from this forum) have been experiencing the same symptoms as i am.

Last edited:

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, MSM with Black Interior
Country flag

timcole421

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Sensing Sedan
I'd not be too worried about it, sounds like a one-off deal, though I am sorry it had to happen to you. I WOULD however be livid the service guy took my new car to 7k rpm at any point, much less nowhere near broken in.

OP
OP
domm92

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'd not be too worried about it, sounds like a one-off deal, though I am sorry it had to happen to you. I WOULD however be livid the service guy took my new car to 7k rpm at any point, much less nowhere near broken in.
I guess only time will tell to see if this is a large problem or just a small problem.

NathanDrake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Honda Civic
I don't know how "jerky" your transmission is...but there may not be any problem with your transmission

As mentioned in the other thread, it's completely normal due to the CVT to feel a slight jerk at low speeds. I've noticed it myself, but it doesn't bother me at all.

Last edited:
OP
OP
domm92

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't know how "jerky" your transmission is...but there may not be any problem with your transmission

As mentioned in the other thread, it's completely normal due to the CVT to feel a slight jerk at low speeds. I've noticed it myself, but it doesn't bother me at all.
There was 100 percent a problem and may be with yours to. I would advise you to bring it to atleast get checked if your feeling any bucking or jerkiness. The car wasn't "shifting" service told me. There was a horrible burning smell coming from under the hood from the cvt also.

If the jerkiness is normal I would have never purchased this car because to me it's a horrible driving experience and I much would have rather kept my previous car.

im concerned that there taking apart my new car with only 80 miles. And am worried about how it's going to be put back together and if there is going to be problems due to it. I'm going to call cooperate Honda when I get chance and speek to someone, This to me is extremely major.

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rallye Red Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
That would bother me too, and I'd call Honda and ask to have the car replaced! Never know that might do it for u.
Sponsored