First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Was driving up to my boyfriend’s dad’s last night and good God I had a horrible time seeing at night. Especially when it was raining. Idk what the deal was with my windshield wipers but they weren’t clearing my window off enough. I almost thought I was gonna run off the road at one point. I was driving down this long road to cut through from 95 to Yemassee highway in SC and I really had a hard time seeing. I haven’t changed my high beams out from halogen to LED’s yet but my LED’s weren’t helping much either seeing the road. Especially the parts where it was blacktop.

Anyways... if I were to replace the stock windshield wipers with something else, which ones should I go with? There’s an auto parts store nearby the house I’m gonna go to and I want some good quality ones. Any recommendations would be great! Thank you!
Sponsored

Pitt-Civ

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Explorer, 2020 Civic Hatch EX
Country flag
Check RockAuto.com, they have ours, I believe ours takes a 22" and a 26", and their prices are a lot better than local stores. For mine, and my wife's Explorer, local stores were double the cost.

Anyway, I've always had good luck with Bosch.

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
I've always had decent performance from the factory inserts, about $15 for the pair, replace them in the spring and late fall. Virtually all of the replacement blades, Bosch, Rain-X, etc are made in China, Mexico or Vietnam and aren't lasting beyond the 6 month mark for me. If anything, I'd try the PIAA silicone blades if I wasn't going to use factory inserts which last almost a year usually, I just replace them early so I don't get into a situation where I'm forced to. Your primary blade killers are sunlight (UV), heat and washer solvents. When the Bosch blades were actually made in Germany, they were really excellent, now they're still $30-40 a set and don't last any longer than anything else. UMMV
BTY, I've been using Rain-X washer fluid exclusively for the last 4-5 years, really makes a difference, water just blows off the glass. I use the Orange colored formula year round here in Pennsylvania, in Florida where freezing isn't an issue, the green "bug" formula might work for you.

Last edited:

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
After going through Rainx, Bosch, and Michelin on my truck (I liked Michelin the best of those), I tried Trico on the Civic after the stocks wore out. They lasted 8-10 months in South Carolina heat.
Using PIAA for 14 months now and only starting to have a little streaking

Last edited:

OP
OP
Jens_sedanEX18

Jens_sedanEX18

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
After going through Rainx, Bosch, and Michelin on my truck (I liked Michelin the best of those), I tried Trico on the Civic after the stocks wore out. They lasted 8-10 months in South Carolina heat.
Using PIAA for 14 months now and only starting to have a little streaking
Was told Trico are usually good. Either that or wipe the blades off with a paper towel helps but it was foggy last night too and rain wasn’t helping much. I wish my high beams were swapped with LED’s. It doesn’t help with LED’s low beams and halogen high beams together. I know once I got to the main highway where I had to turn on, I was happy that I made it. But I still missed my turn that I needed to take since I couldn’t see SHIT.

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Was told Trico are usually good. Either that or wipe the blades off with a paper towel helps but it was foggy last night too and rain wasn’t helping much. I wish my high beams were swapped with LED’s. It doesn’t help with LED’s low beams and halogen high beams together. I know once I got to the main highway where I had to turn on, I was happy that I made it. But I still missed my turn that I needed to take since I couldn’t see SHIT.
High beams aren't helpful in the fog, unfortunately. They tend to blind even more. Do you have fog lights?

Glad you made it safely. That fog was thick all night in Charleston too

OP
OP
Jens_sedanEX18

Jens_sedanEX18

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
High beams aren't helpful in the fog, unfortunately. They tend to blind even more. Do you have fog lights?

Glad you made it safely. That fog was thick all night in Charleston too
Yes it was crazy dense fog last night and it was spotty too! No, I don’t have fog lots but I know there’s some YouTube videos where you can wire up fog lights but I don’t have the time or patience or the know how’s to do that kind of work lol

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
Yes it was crazy dense fog last night and it was spotty too! No, I don’t have fog lots but I know there’s some YouTube videos where you can wire up fog lights but I don’t have the time or patience or the know how’s to do that kind of work lol
I’m at least 8 hours south west from you and I drive to work at 3 am in the morning and the fog down here is thick ( we didn’t have this to much on Long Island) but it’s every morning. As for wiper blades I get the oem refills at the dealer their not that expensive

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
When was last time wipers were used?
1) Was windshield dirty or not fully wet? - Clean it or use windshield washers(which should have cleaner, not plain water) to fully wet the windshield.
2) Was "fog" outside or inside windshield? Running defroster with heat to warm windshield will work wonders for both (on a cool, cold, or warm night.)
3) Replacement Honda stock inserts work fine and are under $10 for a pair - usually installed free if you're having other service done at the same time (eg oii change etc).

onions

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 992
Country flag
Been happy with the PIAAs I put on the family car. Haven’t had to replace the civic ones yet.
Sponsored