Acraig3

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic coupe, 1992 Acura integra
Long story short,

Recently my windshield was cracked due to a semi that pulled out in front of me on the highway. Safelite came and replaced the window and did a decent job. But here is where the real problem starts...

The images show the clear coat on my hood just in front of the steering wheel on the drivers side. This could be either very much related to the install of the windshield or not related at all and I just happened to notice it after the install.

What do you think it is? And what should be my course of action? (I take extremely well care of this car it is washed once/week and receives monthly waxings).

Honda Civic 10th gen Need help with paint/clear coat IMG_20170827_100507
Sponsored

OP
OP
Acraig3

Acraig3

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I should add, it is only noticable under certain light angles and can be felt as it is fairly rough, although it does not seem to be above the clear coat

cypress

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Interesting. Have you tried applying anything to it? Clay bar or a product like Scratch X?

OP
OP
Acraig3

Acraig3

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I indeed tried...

Scratch x 2.0
Goof off
Bug and tar remover
Washed and clay bar

OP
OP
Acraig3

Acraig3

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting. Have you tried applying anything to it? Clay bar or a product like Scratch X?
I indeed tried...

Scratch x 2.0
Goof off
Bug and tar remover
Washed and clay bar

cypress

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I indeed tried...

Scratch x 2.0
Goof off
Bug and tar remover
Washed and clay bar
Yeah just looking at your other thread I agree that you should go after Safelite seems to be th expoxy or something that was dropped on there while changing your glass.

Mikeybc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-T, 2015 Nissan Murano
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not sure how they prep the pinch welds these days but I suspect a solevent may have been dropped and hastily wiped away but not entirely.

That looks like a pretty large area after looking closer

OP
OP
Acraig3

Acraig3

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I took the car to safelite where this nice gentlemen (general manager) took an approximately 2 second look at the hood and gave me a card with instruction to take the car to my favorite auto body shop. And have it inspected.

It turned out to be an epoxy stain that came out with light buffing. Safelite paid for the damage and I got a free full body buff and wax for free.

I've never had good luck with safelite. I used to have an 03 MDX that had a back window shattered where safelite kindly installed the replacement window upsidedown. They also broke a tab on my old 1992 Acura integra when it was broken into on the drovers side door making it impossible to seal the window.

Long story short, use safelite at your own risk. They are by no means slimy. Just underpaid and don't care.
Sponsored