First Name
Sebastian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
Hello All!

This weekend I am wiring a Rockford Fosgate P3D4-12 to a Rockford Fosgate R1200-1D Prime 1,200 Watt Class-D Mono Amplifier, using an amp wiring kit.

I keep reading about people using a LC2i to install a system, but for most install threads people are tapping other speakers. I intend to let the subwoofer stand alone, as I think the rest of the speakers in the car are great! (Just not the sub)

My question is: Do I need an LC2i, or any line input converter if intend to tap into the stock sub systems power? (to try and avoid having to wire into the head unit)

Any help is appreciated
Sponsored

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
People use the LC2i because the factory system has bass roll off. The louder you turn up the volume the sub volume does not increase. Honda does this to protect the paper factory sub. If you install it without an LC2i or similar device, you usually end up with too much bass at low volume or not enough bass at higher volume. I didn't use an LC2i in my Si coupe, but used an LC7i in my Type R and using the LC7i was definitely much better. You have more tweaking but you get better sound.

Edit: Also, yes you need some type of LOC in order to convert the high level signal to a low level one that you can feed to the amp.

OP
OP

Seabass_7

First Name
Sebastian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
People use the LC2i because the factory system has bass roll off. The louder you turn up the volume the sub volume does not increase. Honda does this to protect the paper factory sub. If you install it without an LC2i or similar device, you usually end up with too much bass at low volume or not enough bass at higher volume. I didn't use an LC2i in my Si coupe, but used an LC7i in my Type R and using the LC7i was definitely much better. You have more tweaking but you get better sound.
Thank you for your response! I also forgot to add I will be wiring an independent amp controller around my steering wheel area. Will that help counteract this problem, or am I still better off getting another added device to complete my install?

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Thank you for your response! I also forgot to add I will be wiring an independent amp controller around my steering wheel area. Will that help counteract this problem, or am I still better off getting another added device to complete my install?
Read my edit, you will need an LOC no matter what with that amp up to you if you want to spend for the features of the LC2i. If you're a casual audio guy you might be okay with your typical cheap LOC. If you really want to fine tune better sound out of your car, then you will want something like an LC2i.
Sponsored