Need help on how to run hondata for my FK8 type r

First Name
Thaigeyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I am pretty new to the tuning scene and am pretty clueless on how to properly use hondata without breaking my car. I recently ordered a hondata flash pro, prl flex fuel kit, and a prl high flow intake. I do not know which settings to run on hondata and how to utilize the new parts without killing my fuel pump. Basically I just need help on how to use hondata.
Sponsored

JJK18

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R CW
Country flag
https://www.hondata.com/flashpro-help

The user manual walks you through everything you need to do to unlock your ecu, load a tune, etc. You can install your new mods, and upload a basemap tune making sure you select all your mods in flashpro to start. I would recommend getting a custom tune though.

For more detailed tuning info Kefi goes very in depth on how to tune with hondata on the FK8clinic wiki.

https://fk8.wiki/Main_Page

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
If you have a type r. You can’t flash your car without the ecu being unlocked.

vitae_essence

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BB CTR-43405
Country flag
You and I are in the same boat. Hondata will be here this week for me and it'll be the first time for me as well. From what I've seen...it's pretty straightforward to get the base maps lined up based on what mods you have done to the car. Literally will ask you if you have an intake and what brand it is, what fuel grade you have (93 available in my area), do you have an exhaust, and what brand you have.

I personally will be running base maps for a while because I'm not in a hurry to get everything done at once and would rather grow into the car and add things as time goes on to make the car feel 'fresh' again. Of course...this could change =p. But I will personally not touch anything other than the check boxes due to my lack of knowledge with boost limits, AFR, fuel trimming and everything else. When I have FBO's I'll go see a tuner =)

OP
OP
Thaigeyn Smith
First Name
Thaigeyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
https://www.hondata.com/flashpro-help

The user manual walks you through everything you need to do to unlock your ecu, load a tune, etc. You can install your new mods, and upload a basemap tune making sure you select all your mods in flashpro to start. I would recommend getting a custom tune though.

For more detailed tuning info Kefi goes very in depth on how to tune with hondata on the FK8clinic wiki.

https://fk8.wiki/Main_Page
Thank you for the links! I will definately look into a custom tune, but I dont know if I should do that now, or after I install more parts.

OP
OP
Thaigeyn Smith
First Name
Thaigeyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
You and I are in the same boat. Hondata will be here this week for me and it'll be the first time for me as well. From what I've seen...it's pretty straightforward to get the base maps lined up based on what mods you have done to the car. Literally will ask you if you have an intake and what brand it is, what fuel grade you have (93 available in my area), do you have an exhaust, and what brand you have.

I personally will be running base maps for a while because I'm not in a hurry to get everything done at once and would rather grow into the car and add things as time goes on to make the car feel 'fresh' again. Of course...this could change =p. But I will personally not touch anything other than the check boxes due to my lack of knowledge with boost limits, AFR, fuel trimming and everything else. When I have FBO's I'll go see a tuner =)
I will most likely do the same. Hopefully down the road I will be FBO as well. The only thing I know how to do is install parts but outside of that I am completely clueless haha. Hopefully with time I can be competent enough to tune my own car haha.

OP
OP
Thaigeyn Smith
First Name
Thaigeyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
If you have a type r. You can’t flash your car without the ecu being unlocked.
I heard that the flashpro will do that for me. I do know that some CTRs require a jailbreak but my year is 2018 and I believe for my year it is not required. But if that is not the case what can I do to unlock it?

rallyered225

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type-R
Country flag

Cody FKH8R

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
And is that located on the hondata flashpro?
And is that located on the hondata flashpro?
go to phearble.net
There is also a stage3 flex fuel tune as well. Pay for the tune and you will receive it in an email, save it and simply open the file and it will take you flash pro management and all you have to do is upload.

JJK18

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R CW
Country flag
Thank you for the links! I will definately look into a custom tune, but I dont know if I should do that now, or after I install more parts.
If you have plans to put on more mods, especially any that have to do with air or fuel, I would just use basemaps for now, updating it as you add more, and then do custom tune when you have most of what you want installed. The process for custom tune takes a while if you do an e-tune and most tuners will charge another fee if you add more parts that will significantly change the tune or require starting the process over.

OP
OP
Thaigeyn Smith
First Name
Thaigeyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
If you have plans to put on more mods, especially any that have to do with air or fuel, I would just use basemaps for now, updating it as you add more, and then do custom tune when you have most of what you want installed. The process for custom tune takes a while if you do an e-tune and most tuners will charge another fee if you add more parts that will significantly change the tune or require starting the process over.
That is what I figured. I was also curious, on a youtube video I saw that 2017-2018 CTRs did not have to be jailbreaked to run hondata properly. Is that the case? I have no problem getting the jailbreak device but if I dont have to I wont because its $250.

JJK18

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R CW
Country flag
That is what I figured. I was also curious, on a youtube video I saw that 2017-2018 CTRs did not have to be jailbreaked to run hondata properly. Is that the case? I have no problem getting the jailbreak device but if I dont have to I wont because its $250.
It does still need to be jailbroken, but you don't need the CAN device they sell. You just buy the jailbrake from their website once you have your flashpro and they send a code you use to jailbrake your ECU that can only be used once.

OP
OP
Thaigeyn Smith
First Name
Thaigeyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
It does still need to be jailbroken, but you don't need the CAN device they sell. You just buy the jailbrake from their website once you have your flashpro and they send a code you use to jailbrake your ECU that can only be used once.
Oh ok so I dont need to purchase anything. Do they just email the code to me or does it come with the flashpro? Sorry for all the questions I just wanna make sure I do this right, this is my first nice car haha.
Sponsored