Need help Figuring out Suspension clunk

LampRod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I have fortune auto 500 coilovers on my car and ever since the install the rear has a bad clunk. The weird thing about it is that the noise is way more prominent when at slower speeds. At highway speed the clunking it way less and large dips don't cause any noise. It makes the most noise going over very sharp but small changes in the road. For example getting into my driveway which has about an inch over the road makes more noise then going over a large dip at 60mph. I've checked preload and all the bolts and have yet to notice anything wrong about the install. Not sure what else could cause this noise.
Sponsored

KOIVUN1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si CBP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had a 2 month battle with a rear clunk after installing my whiteline RSB. I assume for the coilover install you disconnected the rsb from the lca to fit the shock in, and with that being assumed, check your sway bar nuts & bolts. my solution came out to buying a beefy 5mm hex key and using my 3 foot breaker bar to torque the everliving sh*t out of the end link nuts and that was the only thing that worked for me. swapping the stock rsb in, swapping the end links back to stock, buying whiteline's adjustable end links, buying the accord end links, and swapping between those for a few weeks all yielded me with no results. i also know that clunks happen up front when not tightening the nuts up top after the car is on the ground. perhaps something similar with the rear shocks?

tldr check your sway bar nuts and check the upper strut bolts with preload on the suspension
good luck

OP
OP
LampRod

LampRod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I had a 2 month battle with a rear clunk after installing my whiteline RSB. I assume for the coilover install you disconnected the rsb from the lca to fit the shock in, and with that being assumed, check your sway bar nuts & bolts. my solution came out to buying a beefy 5mm hex key and using my 3 foot breaker bar to torque the everliving sh*t out of the end link nuts and that was the only thing that worked for me. swapping the stock rsb in, swapping the end links back to stock, buying whiteline's adjustable end links, buying the accord end links, and swapping between those for a few weeks all yielded me with no results. i also know that clunks happen up front when not tightening the nuts up top after the car is on the ground. perhaps something similar with the rear shocks?

tldr check your sway bar nuts and check the upper strut bolts with preload on the suspension
good luck
Thank you, ill check the upper strut bolts since I don't remember if I did it with some load on the suspension.

OP
OP
LampRod

LampRod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Here’s a video of what it sounds like and a couple pictures of the rear suspension.

Honda Civic 10th gen Need help Figuring out Suspension clunk 86287BAC-66D2-412F-805B-708E1E2B9D70
Honda Civic 10th gen Need help Figuring out Suspension clunk 4446AA7C-8E39-4FFE-BB55-B9E8A5C5586E

jconnway

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport Hatch 2017 Sport Hatch
Country flag

good luck
I’m going through this right now it’s almost enough to drive me to get rid of the car.

i have everything torqued to spec, whiteline bar, accord links. Absolutely losing my mind

simon_lefisch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
So I had something similar when I installed my Tein's. I also installed Skunk2 rear camber kit. Did you install an aftermarket camber kit? If so, check those adjustment nuts. I was going nuts trying to figure out what was causing the noises I was having. Even thought it was the rear sway bar but after I removed and reinstalled it, the noise was still there. As soon as I tightened the camber nuts, noise went away.

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
Sounds like loose end links. Make sure all other suspension parts touched were torqued down to spec too.

simon_lefisch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
@NHCivicGuy I thought that too when I was having this issue lol

OP
OP
LampRod

LampRod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Thanks for the replies, I was able to figure out what was causing all the noise. Basically there's a small metal shim in the knuckle were the bottom of the shock connects too. It fell out during install and we just put it back in place not realizing you have to press it back all the way into the knuckle. Since it was half way in it left a gap for the shock to move and making that noise. Made sense why small dips in the road made the most noise as that would cause it to move the most. We just had to push it back in its place all the way and the noise stopped.

OP
OP
LampRod

LampRod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I'm trying to find the part number, I think the part that got messed up is this 52622-SNA-A01. Im not sure if the metal tube thing im talking about is in the center of this item.

jconnway

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm trying to find the part number, I think the part that got messed up is this 52622-SNA-A01. Im not sure if the metal tube thing im talking about is in the center of this item.
thats like a bushing that goes on the bottom of the strut?

jconnway

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Really tighten the screw that holds the rear sway bar links to the lower arms
They’re torqued to spec. It’s going to the shop tomorrow and not coming home until the issue is resolved I can’t deal with it anymore
Sponsored