Tiitime

First Name
TT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RDX
Country flag
Its been a long and stressful Monday, need some guidance and recommendation on my next course of action.

Have been on the search for a CTR for some time now. Originally wanted white but been shifting back and fourth with colors.

Landed on something today

local - black - $47k OTD with some accessories. (All weather mats, mud flaps, wheel lock, wireless charger)

out of state - white - $44k OTD plus $2.1k for enclosed shipping from dealer to me. With less accessories.

I’ve been bouncing back and fourth. Pros and cons.

Definitely caving into the dealers mark up game by buying local. But less of a hassle and wait for me.

Get color that would work best for me but then having to go through the extra steps of registering and getting the car check out. Also having to work through shipping process.

Welcome to any tips or suggestions on what you would personally do.
Sponsored

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
$2100 for enclosed shipping is absolutely insane, just look for your own quote. You can get it around $1000 depending on how far out it is. Or just do non-enclosed cause it doesn't really make much of a difference unless it's never going to leave your garage and then it's even cheaper. Get your own quotes. I bought both of my Rs from out of state, unenclosed, and they arrived mint.

And don't pay markup either. Plenty of dealers doing MSRP now or at least way closer than that, you just have to keep calling around. Grainger Honda in Georgia sold me my new boost blue at MSRP and they sell all their cars at MSRP except for the Limited Edition R.

You most likely will not get an R at MSRP in California.

BryanCO

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR, 2007 GT3, 1993 Miata
Country flag
Agree with above. MSRP is available and ship open carrier for a lot less.

OP
OP

Tiitime

First Name
TT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RDX
Country flag
$2100 for enclosed shipping is absolutely insane, just look for your own quote. You can get it around $1000 depending on how far out it is. Or just do non-enclosed cause it doesn't really make much of a difference unless it's never going to leave your garage and then it's even cheaper. Get your own quotes. I bought both of my Rs from out of state, unenclosed, and they arrived mint.

And don't pay markup either. Plenty of dealers doing MSRP now or at least way closer than that, you just have to keep calling around. Grainger Honda in Georgia sold me my new boost blue at MSRP and they sell all their cars at MSRP except for the Limited Edition R.

You most likely will not get an R at MSRP in California.
Thanks for great explanation and a very good viewpoint. The 44 is MSRP with some accessories and California tax. Leaning towards that and will probably go with Non enclosed shipment.

fk8wah

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type-R
Country flag
You guys are really getting fucked out there.

I paid 35k + 750 shipping and dmv fee which did not cross over even onto 40k after all said and done.

This was a brand new 2019 shipped more than a year sgo.

Type R is not worth 47k OTD.

fk8wah

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type-R
Country flag
And my boss paid 1800 for enclosed shipping on a Raptor for a reference; you should not be paying over 2k in enclosed. He paid 1500 for an M3 enclosed

fk8wah

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type-R
Country flag
This was all the way from PA to Socal right to my door.
Honda Civic 10th gen Need help deciding my purchase option F0110B37-E582-4CCC-9CB2-4019028C7942

OP
OP

Tiitime

First Name
TT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RDX
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Need help deciding my purchase option DA8BC423-17FF-4514-B20E-F83451BF1251

this is what I’m getting at. This is OTD pricing for the current car at MSRP with some minor accessories. Add $1k for shipping, I’ll be looking at $45.5k

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Its been a long and stressful Monday, need some guidance and recommendation on my next course of action.

Have been on the search for a CTR for some time now. Originally wanted white but been shifting back and fourth with colors.

Landed on something today

local - black - $47k OTD with some accessories. (All weather mats, mud flaps, wheel lock, wireless charger)

out of state - white - $44k OTD plus $2.1k for enclosed shipping from dealer to me. With less accessories.

I’ve been bouncing back and fourth. Pros and cons.

Definitely caving into the dealers mark up game by buying local. But less of a hassle and wait for me.

Get color that would work best for me but then having to go through the extra steps of registering and getting the car check out. Also having to work through shipping process.

Welcome to any tips or suggestions on what you would personally do.
Expand your search to land a better deal - fly out / rent a car and drive back. Sorry but both of those options seem high to me.

bobafettm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lotus Exige; 2018 & 2021 Honda Type R
Country flag
I just snagged a black 2020 at MSRP which was considerably higher than my 2018 (34k to 39k!)... Forgot how much MSRP has increased. It also had accessories like the floor mats+truck protector, wheel locks, and paint protection. I felt slightly ripped off due to the accessories like that since to me the amazon stuff is better anyways and ANY paint protection plan is laughable. I also added the additional honda warranty extending it to 6yr/100k (they priced it to match the Soccuricu(sp?) honda warranty pricing that is recommended on the forum - I have this on my 2018 which is daily driven in the winters which has replaced two front struts already). This car got A LOT more expensive than the older models... but man I can't stand the looks of the next generation civic so it was worth the additional price IMO. We both live in states where sales tax is a real thing. I think a lot of people come from states where they have low sales tax on new automobiles and don't put that into account.

I would highly suggest flying out to get your car though. I did so for pretty much all my vehicles in recent years. It's a nice way to get to know your car anyways :p

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
DA8BC423-17FF-4514-B20E-F83451BF1251.jpeg

this is what I’m getting at. This is OTD pricing for the current car at MSRP with some minor accessories. Add $1k for shipping, I’ll be looking at $45.5k
That's a decent deal, you could try to fight on doc fees and the bullshit 'accessories' but I'd probably take it at that point too. Looks like there's an ADM of maybe $1500. I thought you were saying the before-tax and everything was $44k which would be horrid (and is the usual)

Quip

First Name
Paper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rallye Red
Country flag
$47K OTD isn’t terrible. This is the last year that you’ll be able to get the current body style. Who knows when/what the new one will look like.

I’d go with option 1 with the accessories.

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
Never would I have ever thought that id see $40K for a civic.....
Sponsored