Need help! Dark fluid on bottom of trans/axle

Berserk_FC3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Coupe SI
Country flag
Hey! I was installing a motor mount the other day when I noticed a buildup of a dirty fluid, which I think could either by grease or oil. There is a buildup as well on the skid plate directly under, but when wiped was pitch black and I don’t think it’s related. Has anyone seen this before and should I be worried?

Honda Civic 10th gen Need help! Dark fluid on bottom of trans/axle 28F0C032-8215-45F1-B89A-E37F1DF46127
Sponsored

OP
OP
Berserk_FC3

Berserk_FC3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Coupe SI
Country flag
This is on the ring that holds the axle to the transmission or main block, and there are gaskets right above, although I tried to wipe them and no fluid was picked up.

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That support bearing is known for eventually going out. Is there oil residue anywhere else in that vicinity? One thing to do is spray the area down with braklean to ensure it's totally clean, drive it a bit, then check to see if you can localize the source.

OP
OP
Berserk_FC3

Berserk_FC3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Coupe SI
Country flag
That support bearing is known for eventually going out. Is there oil residue anywhere else in that vicinity? One thing to do is spray the area down with braklean to ensure it's totally clean, drive it a bit, then check to see if you can localize the source.
I don’t see anything near, I did check that gasket for a leak quickly but didn’t notice anything wet, I wiped it off and will see if it comes back. Checked the oil levels as well, no noticeable drop. This car is basically brand new, 2020 with 7k miles so I’d hope that support didn’t go out that quickly. Thanks for the help!

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
It is coming from that support bearing inside the bracket that the grease is on. It loses the dust shield/boot that keeps dirt out of it, then gets hot and starts oozing green grease.

I had my passenger side half shaft replaced on my 2017 for this reason. Less than 10k miles later it started doing it again. I have ignored it for over 40,000 miles with no issue other than my skid plate being absolutely filthy. No noises, no drivability issues. I figured ill ride it out until my certified pre-owned warranty is almost up at 100k miles and decide if i want it replaced again.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Dealership should replace it under warranty, no questions. My dealership didn’t even argue. Show your dealer the picture you’ve posted here.

OP
OP
Berserk_FC3

Berserk_FC3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Coupe SI
Country flag
If it leaks again so soon, do you think that it would be worth it to bring it in and get it fixed? I'd love to permanently fix it but guess that's impossible. I'd rather Honda not see the car as almost everything done to it would void the warranty.

keller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si coupe, 2021 SGP Type R
In our first trackday the hot grease leaked and deformed the plastic underbelly. There is even signs of fire on top of the steering rack where the hot liquid grease was sprayed on.

Honda Civic 10th gen Need help! Dark fluid on bottom of trans/axle IMG_20210702_154401861

Honda Civic 10th gen Need help! Dark fluid on bottom of trans/axle IMG_20210702_152630192

We replaced the ball bearing with an industrial sealed bearing. Today, 5 trackdays later, I've noticed the same leak again, although in a far smaller scale. I guess I'll wait a little longer before replacing it again.

Honda Civic 10th gen Need help! Dark fluid on bottom of trans/axle IMG_20220901_140901718_HDR