Need help Converting Key into Remote Flip Key Fob

Kals

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic LX 2017
so, Bought one from the link that dwai90 posted. as it turned out, it was quite straightforward to do:

-unscrew the screw behind the original key fob.
-open up the newly purchased shell and transfer the electronics (with the transponder) into it.
-go to a locksmith and have the blank key properly cut and copied.
-put everything together and voila!

**now, I didn't want to spend an additional $15-30 just to make another copy of the key, so I did it the hard way; I chiseled the original key's end part so it would fit the chasis of the keyfob. had to use a dremel, chisel and some other tools, and it took me around 4 hours; but it got done. overall, I only spent $5 without anyone's help.

for those who is not into DIY, just have a locksmith do it for you.

here are some pics of the end product. It's not as thick as it looks in the pictures, and it's compact and comfortable enough to put in my jeans.

hope this helps!

DSC04373.JPG
DSC04374.JPG
DSC04377.JPG
DSC04378.JPG
DSC04377.JPG
DSC04378.JPG
Thanks lemueljedc.... It really helped in deciding. Can you please let me know whether the panic button works?
Sponsored

Kals

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic LX 2017
Yeah.. but if i press just below the third button.. will the panic button work?

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
^How can it work, there is no button there.

Are you implying you can press hard enough through a hard plastic shell?

OP
OP
lemueljedc

lemueljedc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Yeah.. but if i press just below the third button.. will the panic button work?
no, it won't work. it's hard plastic.

that's the only con about this key fob. nevertheless, it's still a good project to do.

CivicXander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic hatchback Sport 6MT Rallye Red
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I bought the key fob from aliexpress, the spring button to release key doesn't release key, its tension-ed so that it retracts the key.. the way the spring was setup doesn't seem like it will let you tension it to eject the key. This is frustrating, I've given up. I expect to eject the key out when i press the button but it doesn't, you have to pull it out, then when you press it again, it retracts the key.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
I bought the key fob from aliexpress, the spring button to release key doesn't release key, its tension-ed so that it retracts the key.. the way the spring was setup doesn't seem like it will let you tension it to eject the key. This is frustrating, I've given up. I expect to eject the key out when i press the button but it doesn't, you have to pull it out, then when you press it again, it retracts the key.
It's going to be a spring with two small ends coming out, that are placed into notches on the fob itself, and the button.

You put the end of the spring into the notch in the back cover, loosely assemble the whole thing while leaving enough space to freely spin the key-portion to wind the spring, then close everything shut.

Spin the spring the other way than what is currently is, and it should work the other way around.

it should be tensioned in the clockwise direction, sounds like its backwards.

CobraCommand

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Canadian Civic LX Hatchback, formerly 2017 Canadian Civic LX Sedan
Country flag
Thread has been dead for a bit but I wonder if anyone else has done this and have any issues with the transponder being too far away from the blade to start the car. I just ordered the same shell from ebay but I have to wait a few weeks for shipping :/

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Honda S2000, 2017 Civc Hatchback Sport
Country flag
OP
OP
lemueljedc

lemueljedc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

That would probably work, but $27.54 plus $8.99 shipping? you paying $36.53 for a shell is totally not worth it. most flip key fobs would range around $4-$15 max.

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Honda S2000, 2017 Civc Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Yeah that's what I'm thinking and reason I haven't purchased it yet. But since it's out now in this way I'm sure the shell only is sure to come

That would probably work, but $27.54 plus $8.99 shipping? you paying $36.53 for a shell is totally not worth it. most flip key fobs would range around $4-$15 max.

CobraCommand

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Canadian Civic LX Hatchback, formerly 2017 Canadian Civic LX Sedan
Country flag
Yeah that's pretty rad but I paid 5 dollars for my shell and I think 1.99 for shipping. 30+ dollars isn't worth it for a panic button I will never use. This ebay shipping time frame is going to kill me.

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
I would expect the button/swing mechanism in these cheap Chinese keys to end up breaking after awhile.

OP
OP
lemueljedc

lemueljedc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I would expect the button/swing mechanism in these cheap Chinese keys to end up breaking after awhile.

well, in my case, I've had this few a few months now and I've never had any issues with it. same goes for my other flip key fob for my hyundai that's about 2 years old now.

Razurex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Honda Civic Hatchback Sport, 03' Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 8
Any updates from the other people that bought the shell and did this? I would love to do this soon as well!
Sponsored