First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
At this point, it is too late to argue with the finance person because you will never get that money back now that you already financed and received the car. Unless you want some sort of moral victory but people who work at dealers as finance managers basically have sold their soul to make a living so not much to gain there.

I think that this purchase is going to be a harsh reminder about how terrible dealerships can really be. It sucks that the people there hoodwinked you so bad.

In regards to the whole finance situation it really depends. Sometimes outright buying in cash might be better or sometimes doing finance is better. Finance is only better IMHO if you get a really good deal as in 0% or 0.9% APR for like 60 months or so. Or else flat out buying might be better. Of the past 8 cars or so I have owned, I flat out bought 5 of them and financed only 3. Also, regardless of finance or not, you should always fight hard for the price and that should always be at the end of the negotiation.

As Billy mentioned, I would give that dealer a flat out 0 when they ask for the survey by Honda. I would also go out of my way to go on Edmunds, TrueCar, Cars, Google, etc... and write a review of it. That is one super shady dealer.
Sponsored

vincelatz

Vince L.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T w/Sensing Metallic Steel/Black
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Even at $25,325 it was still a better deal then the ones I went to, no one would go below $25,500 in both states. Maybe I went all the wrong ones :(. Anyway, I know the 5.14% APR is crazy high but i'm going to pay it all off in just a couple of months. I read online saying that if you "pretend to finance" they think they can get more money out of you so they offer either lower cost cars or throw in a bunch of stuff. Some of the stuff I got where all weather mats, 8 year/120k, and a couple of other things. This is still all new to me, so anything I learn is experience for me.

Thanks for the help though. My next step is talking to the finance guy who handled my case and see where he got that bogus tax from.
Looking over your paperwork - you can't say you "got" things like mats and the warranty. You PAID for those things. It's clear as day in the paperwork. You chose a warranty and a maintenance contract on the car that they charged you for (and charged way too much at that). You definitely didn't "get" anything but a horrible deal shoved down your throat.

Not sure about how much fruit it will bear, but I would definitely go back and argue about this one. You have nothing to lose by raising hell there since you certainly aren't going to go back to them ever again (I hope not at least)

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
You know you can get an Acura TLX for $41k right?

calicivicx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 integra, 2012 benz c300, Honda civic 2016 WOP touring
anyhow congrats man. its your car and as long as you're happy with what you're paying then a drink for you.

OP
OP

amexesix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
When my friend brought me there, he assured me that the deal was good but it appears he doesn't know much, so maybe the dealership fed him all this garbage making him think it is a good deal.

When we went over all the charges, they never mentioned gap insurance so I had no idea what that was until I looked it up. It is probably too late but I will try and talk to them anyway.

Rawnerve1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 crv
Country flag
I got a price from a new jersey dealer

24300.00 car including dest.
7 percent sales tax
369 doc fees
301 dmv new plates
7.50 tire tax.

Wish.you posted before you bought.

OP
OP

amexesix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
I got a price from a new jersey dealer

24300.00 car including dest.
7 percent sales tax
369 doc fees
301 dmv new plates
7.50 tire tax.

Wish.you posted before you bought.
Yea lesson learned for next time. Thanks for the info though.

OP
OP

amexesix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
I just talked to the finance guy and he said I can cancel the gap insurance at any time. Though I lose around $11 for every month I wait. He highly suggested that I wait at least a year or two before canceling. Thoughts?

Boz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sedan - Modern Steel Metalic / Black
Country flag
I just talked to the finance guy and he said I can cancel the gap insurance at any time. Though I lose around $11 for every month I wait. He highly suggested that I wait at least a year or two before canceling. Thoughts?
If you're paying the loan off in a month or two, why would you keep GAP insurance for a year or two?

GoPackGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Energy Green Coupe
But if you are paying the car off in full (which you said you are doing) then you don't need any gap insurance. If you are financing then yes it's not a bad idea to have it until you are no longer under water.

OP
OP

amexesix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
He was probably trying to keep a sale or something. Guys gotta eat :p

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dang, that seems incredibly high for a Civic to me, but maybe I'm missing something.

Ya know what's funny, I remember a time when the LX was the most sold version. Now it seems like the touring is the version most people get. That's just weird to me, I don't know why.

Rawnerve1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 crv
Country flag
Dang, that seems incredibly high for a Civic to me, but maybe I'm missing something.

Ya know what's funny, I remember a time when the LX was the most sold version. Now it seems like the touring is the version most people get. That's just weird to me, I don't know why.
I think lx/ex sell the best. On this forum i think tourings sell the most. I have yet to see a touring in the wild...
Sponsored