First Name
Christina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Touring 2018, Honda Type R 2021
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I want to purchase a front and rear dash cam kit. I have a Civic Touring. Read before you can hook to the dimming mirror. How can I do this without taking stuff apart? I’m a novice, should I just use the adapter plug? What’s the best set up and how? Should I pay someone to install? Really don’t want anyone touching my car! :grouphug:
Sponsored

Axatax

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
In Malkuth, surrounded by evil, low on gas.
Vehicle(s)
2K Civic DX Coupe B18C5 (swap), 2017 Civic LX Coupe 6MT
Country flag
Basically all of these cameras are USB powered. It's just a question of running the hardwire down an A piller and tying it into a switched 12V source.

If you tap into something up in the roof like auto-dimming mirror, you'll have to contend with coiling up the USB side of the harwire cable (which has a small transformer box) somewhere in the headliner. This is somewhat amateurish, IMHO, and best to go right to the fuse box. It won't take any more time to do it right.

Wiring to the back is also best through the floor of the car under the door sills rather than through the headliner, because your curtain airbags run up under that area. You won't be 100% sure you've cleared that airbag without removing the entire headliner.

In terms of difficulty, this is a solid "1" out of 10.

Last edited:

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I want to purchase a front and rear dash cam kit. I have a Civic Touring. Read before you can hook to the dimming mirror. How can I do this without taking stuff apart? I’m a novice, should I just use the adapter plug? What’s the best set up and how? Should I pay someone to install? Really don’t want anyone touching my car! :grouphug:
Blackvue cameras are nice and installation is clean and simple.

daBiker68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX - Lunar Silver Metallic 2017 Subaru Forester - Quartz Blue Pearl
Country flag
Idea to car designers: put a USB plug at the rear view mirror or by the interior lights near the RV mirror. Good for dash cams, aftermarket satellite radio, and other similar equipment. I'm sure there's a liability issue somewhere for encouraging gear in the windshield area, but man it would be handy.

Vrruumm

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
I am running the Garmin 55. For $200 it was a great investment since I could afford much more than this at the time of purchase. BlackVue seems the best on the market with the front and rear cameras, but the Garmin is probably the best single camera dashcam on the market, imo.
Sponsored