Eeesawk

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
Hey everyone, I'm a CTR owner that's new to the forums so forgive me if this has already been asked. I have the '21 and am looking to replace the front+rear pads and the rear rotors. I'm looking for a set that's suited for street driving+road trips, my biggest priorities are longevity and performance without braking the bank (pun intended). I don't mind a bit of noise either. Any and all recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Also, I typically prefer to do my own work on my vehicle both to save money and learn more about cars but I don't have the most extensive tool collection so if this is something that is better left to an auto shop to handle (dealership told me all sorts of things but of course I'm skeptical as I'm not sure if they just want the business) then please let me know. I look forward to interacting with you all more in the future!
Sponsored

REDRAGN

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Check out @Unity Performance (send them a DM) as they sell anything you need...as noted above Paragon is a very good option and priced well. Paragon makes pads and rotors. Your best option for the described use will be something like the Paragon P2 Street/Sport pads.

If your not ready to really go all in, Powerstop makes some good pads and rotors.

As far as doing the work yourself, its not hard at all and there are many tutorials here and youtube videos. Just ensure you are aware of the electronic rear parking brake on the rear calipers...you can easily damage this!

Check out @fatherpain build thread...he has an index up top and everything you could need to know is spelled out in detail.

Last edited:

m_kluch

First Name
Maryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type-R
Country flag
I got Akebono. Cheap and the performance is good. Quiet and very low brake dust as well.
I would recommend them for anything except track use

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
Current Fleet: 18 Si, 20 FK8, 23 FL5
Country flag
Check out @Unity Performance (send them a DM) as they sell anything you need...as noted above Paragon is a very good option and priced well. Paragon makes pads and rotors. Your best option for the described use will be something like the Paragon P2 Street/Sport pads.

If your not ready to really go all in, Powerstop makes some good pads and rotors.

As far as doing the work yourself, its not hard at all and there are many tutorials here and youtube videos. Just ensure you are aware of the electronic rear parking brake on the rear calipers...you can easily damage this!

Check out @fatherpain build thread...he has an index up top and everything you could need to know is spelled out in detail.
Thanks Matt!

Hey Isaac, without breaking the bank I would recommend the following setup:

EBC Blank Front Rotors
StopTech-Centric Blank Rear Rotors

Good Pad choices for longevity and decent street performance would be Hawk 5.0, Paragon P2, and EBC Redstuff. StopTech Street or Sport if you're keeping it budget-friendly. EBC Yellowstuff or Paragon P3 if you like to do hard street braking.

I have all that's listed above on my site :)

https://unity-performance.com/collections/2017-civic-type-r?pf_pt_product_type=Braking

OP
OP
Eeesawk

Eeesawk

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
Good Pad choices for longevity and decent street performance would be Hawk 5.0, Paragon P2, and EBC Redstuff.
I really appreciate the insight! Of the 3, are there any that have a particular area they outshine the others in? For example, longevity and performance are more important to me than noise and brake dust reduction. The Yellowstuff and P3s are enticing and within my budget but I'm concerned about them lasting throughout my LA commute and occasional road trips. Thanks in advance :)

OP
OP
Eeesawk

Eeesawk

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag

Thanks for connecting me! Unity performance has a ton on their website and @/fatherpain has quite the extensive page, I'll be spending quite a bit of time on both going forward ?

eKay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Thanks Matt!

EBC Blank Front Rotors

Good Pad choices for longevity and decent street performance would be Hawk 5.0, Paragon P2, and EBC Redstuff. StopTech Street or Sport if you're keeping it budget-friendly. EBC Yellowstuff or Paragon P3 if you like to do hard street braking.

https://unity-performance.com/collections/2017-civic-type-r?pf_pt_product_type=Braking
Out of all those pad recommendations, which one produces less dust? I switched out the OEM pads for some Akebono ceramics and I already miss the OEM pads stopping power.

dsm_mikey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 CTR, 23 ZL1 1LE, 07 S2000, 05 350Z, 86 190e 16V
Country flag
Wow...that is cheap! I picked up a set of the EBC front rotors ($218) for a just in case moment...great deal on the rotors! Obviously 2 piece rotors are preferred, but I grabbed a set anyway in case 2 piece are backordered...also 1/3 the price!

Thanks Matt!

EBC Blank Front Rotors

Last edited:

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
Current Fleet: 18 Si, 20 FK8, 23 FL5
Country flag
I really appreciate the insight! Of the 3, are there any that have a particular area they outshine the others in? For example, longevity and performance are more important to me than noise and brake dust reduction. The Yellowstuff and P3s are enticing and within my budget but I'm concerned about them lasting throughout my LA commute and occasional road trips. Thanks in advance :)
Hey Isaac, Paragon P2 should fit the bill, followed by EBC Red, and then Hawk 5.0 if you're looking for really good pad life :)

Out of all those pad recommendations, which one produces less dust? I switched out the OEM pads for some Akebono ceramics and I already miss the OEM pads stopping power.
It'll be between the EBC Reds and Paragon P2, both are non-Metallic. I've heard Akebono Ceramics are pretty dust free, haven't yet tried them myself. I'm currently on StopTech Sport for winter, and they're much less aggressive compared to the track compound Paragon R5 I run as daily summer pads, BUT what blew my mind is the 27WON Strut Bar with the master cylinder brace. Look into it, your brake pedal travel once the brace is installed with the bar will be half or less what it currently is, since the firewall won't flex anymore once you hit the brakes.

Wow...that is cheap! I picked up a set of the EBC front rotors ($218) for a just in case moment...great deal on the rotors! Obviously 2 piece rotors are preferred, but I grabbed a set anyway in case 2 piece are backordered...also 1/3 the price!
Oh hey Mike! Thanks for your order brother :) Bit of a price adjustment (+ $22) after you got the rotors actually because I noticed a mandatory price change effect just took place, but hey even at $240 for the set they're a TUV approved product, and are made by a company who has been really improved over the last few years!

eKay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
It'll be between the EBC Reds and Paragon P2, both are non-Metallic. I've heard Akebono Ceramics are pretty dust free, haven't yet tried them myself. I'm currently on StopTech Sport for winter, and they're much less aggressive compared to the track compound Paragon R5 I run as daily summer pads, BUT what blew my mind is the 27WON Strut Bar with the master cylinder brace. Look into it, your brake pedal travel once the brace is installed with the bar will be half or less what it currently is, since the firewall won't flex anymore once you hit the brakes.
I kinda jumped the gun with the Hawk 5.0. Hopefully I won’t regret it. Probably not too late to return it.
If you were to choose between the Paragon P2 vs Hawk 5.0, which one would you choose for a daily?
I gotta look into that! Thank for the tip

pinhead66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Odyssey EX-L
Country flag
BUT what blew my mind is the 27WON Strut Bar with the master cylinder brace. Look into it, your brake pedal travel once the brace is installed with the bar will be half or less what it currently is, since the firewall won't flex anymore once you hit the brakes.
Is this also true for the Si or other non-CTR? Is there noticeable brake pedal feel improvements with the master cylinder brace?

Sleepy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 CW
Country flag
Keep in mind you will need the scanner tool to properly do the rear brakes. Some members here have had hit or miss success with doing the rear brakes on their own. To me its better piece of mind to have the dealership do the rear, but that's just me. The front is very easy though.

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
If you have a 2021 car you should have excellent OEM rotors. Why do you need new ones? The advantages of the 2 piece rotors are pretty significant so would consider Paragon or Girodisc replacements if needed.

Have used Hawk 5.0 pads at the front and they seem pretty close to OEM but way cheaper.

Doing the front brakes is really pretty easy with no special tools needed. (The best helpful hint is to use channel lock pliers to retract and replace one pad at a time. No issue if it is either the inner or outer but don't remove both pads before replacing one of the new pads). Rear brakes are more complicated. I track the car quite often and routinely change my pads at the track. The electronic parking brake function on an electronic tool (in my case Foxwell 510 elite) has made the job very easy but unless you are changing rear pads with the frequency I do, you may want to leave this to the stealer.

midlyfecrysisFK8

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R (FK8) Boost Blue
Country flag
It may just be me, but I changed my rear pads with just removing the parking actuator. There are 2 bolts holding the black plastic actuator on each side. You can remove it and spin it by hand. Much like the video below.

I know some people may not be comfortable with doing it this way, but I have had no problems with mine since using this method.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
Hey that's me! But I agree, rears aren't that hard provided you either have the OBD tool (and don't accidentally exit maintenance mode before you have everything installed) or just do it by taking the actuator off (and not ruining the connectors in the process). Aside from the actuator the brake job is very much like standard brakes on any non-Brembo equipped car.
Sponsored