panas

First Name
Panos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2019 sedan, non-Si
Country flag
So, it's time for me to change tyres and I think it's a nice opportunity to improve handling, reduce spinning! I'm no expert and would like to share my thoughts and hear your opinions. I have the stock 16"×7" rims with 215/55/16 tyres. Unfortunately in these specs no tyre brand offers sport tyres like Michelin Pilot sport, Goodyear F1 etc. My first thought was to buy 18×8 rims so I could have 235/40/18 tires and not only upgrade from 215 to 235 but also from the available "family car" types to gripier ones! After reading around the forum, I realised that I'm currently at 40lbs/rim+tyre and with the Si's 18"×8, I'll be at 51,8lbs/rim+tyre! My question: Is getting from 215 Michelin Primacy to 235 Michelin pilot sport actually an upgrade considering the extra unsprung weight or do the extra 12lbs per corner outrun the advantages? (Since I'm not looking to spent a fortune on lightweight wheels)
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Why not get a lighter weight 18x8 aftermarket wheel instead of those heavy OEM Si wheels? They aren't all crazy expensive (think Enkei for example). And yes, unsprung weight matters. I recently installed 18x8 aftermarket wheels with performance tires that actually weigh nearly 7 lbs. less per corner than my stock 17's and there is a noticeable improvement in handling, off the line acceleration, braking and ride quality.

Last edited:

GoldClass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback
Country flag
So, it's time for me to change tyres and I think it's a nice opportunity to improve handling, reduce spinning! I'm no expert and would like to share my thoughts and hear your opinions. I have the stock 16"×7" rims with 215/55/16 tyres. Unfortunately in these specs no tyre brand offers sport tyres like Michelin Pilot sport, Goodyear F1 etc. My first thought was to buy 18×8 rims so I could have 235/40/18 tires and not only upgrade from 215 to 235 but also from the available "family car" types to gripier ones! After reading around the forum, I realised that I'm currently at 40lbs/rim+tyre and with the Si's 18"×8, I'll be at 51,8lbs/rim+tyre! My question: Is getting from 215 Michelin Primacy to 235 Michelin pilot sport actually an upgrade considering the extra unsprung weight or do the extra 12lbs per corner outrun the advantages? (Since I'm not looking to spent a fortune on lightweight wheels)
Although it upgrades your wheels but because of the increased rotational weights, it affects the performance. Light wheels + tyre will give better acceleration, save fuel, reduced stopping distance, etc. Depend how deep is your pocket, go for the wheel as light as possible and you will never regret.

OP
OP
panas

panas

First Name
Panos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Why not get a lighter weight 18x8 aftermarket wheel instead of those heavy OEM Si wheels? They aren't all crazy expensive (think Enkei for example). And yes, unsprung weight matters. I recently installed 18x8 aftermarket wheels with performance tires that actually weigh nearly 7 lbs. less per corner than my stock 17's and there is a noticeable improvement in handling, off the line acceleration, braking and ride quality.
Thanks for your quick reply gtman. I guess you're right. I'll look around for some used aftermarkets to keep my budget where I want it to be on this one. Or maybe the 17×8 oems (used) that will allow me to go 235/45/17 performance tires while staying around the same on unsprung weight.

OP
OP
panas

panas

First Name
Panos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Although it upgrades your wheels but because of the increased rotational weights, it affects the performance. Light wheels + tyre will give better acceleration, save fuel, reduced stopping distance, etc. Depend how deep is your pocket, go for the wheel as light as possible and you will never regret.
Thanks for the advise. I m aware of the advantages lightweight rims offer it's just that I wanna keep the budget low on this one.
So I guess that what you're saying is what I thought.. The increase of unsprung weight will outrun the pros of going with wider&better tires.
In conclusion i think I'll wait for a good deal of used aftermarkets..
Sponsored