Need advice on ceramic coating wheels

iceman600

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I just got new wheels for my CTR and planning to do ceramic coating. Do i do it after putting the tires and balance. Or do it before. Im concern about the weights for balancing not sticking properly when i so the coating first.

What do you guys did?
Also what coating did you use?
Thanks
Sponsored

PrisonerOfDoom

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Type R #3166, '04 IS300, '01 Tacoma
Country flag
I just got new wheels for my CTR and planning to do ceramic coating. Do i do it after putting the tires and balance. Or do it before. Im concern about the weights for balancing not sticking properly when i so the coating first.

What do you guys did?
Thanks
I would recommend applying it after the wheel weights are put on. There are a ton of good options for coatings. Join the FB group Obsessed Garage. Lots of good info there. Just make sure to do an IPA wipe down of your wheels first.

ice raptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 AGB Civic Si
Country flag

What do you guys did?
Thanks
After mount and balance. Treat it like a normal ceramic coating application and you will be fine.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
I have had my wheels balanced and rotated twice now since ceramic coat. No issues that adhesive on those weights is real tough. If you ceramic coat before mounting tire dont get coating on where tire meets rim. Last thing you want is a non stick coating on the mounting surface.

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 lambo lp550-2, '18 honda ctr cw (r-12321), 14' porsche cayman s, '16 porsche macan s, '13 mini jcw nme stage 1, '15 audi s3 apr stage 2, '15 audi q3, '12 monster 1100 evo, '16 triumph thruxton r, deposited for '19 lambo huracan performante
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
must do after.

clean well. use gtechniq panel wipe or similar to get rid of any oils.

then do ceramic coating such as gtechniq c5 wheel ceramic (high temp).

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
Which weights are better? The adhesive stuck on weight, or those small lead ones that get clipped onto the inside edge of the rim? And what’s the difference between the two methods? Also, I’d apply the ceramic afterward

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Which weights are better? The adhesive stuck on weight, or those small lead ones that get clipped onto the inside edge of the rim? And what’s the difference between the two methods? Also, I’d apply the ceramic afterward
The crimped ones will damage the wheel do not use those. The ones with adhesive wont damage wheel and center the weight.

PrisonerOfDoom

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Type R #3166, '04 IS300, '01 Tacoma
Country flag
Yeah, don't let them use crimp on wheel weights. I'm not sure what color your new wheels are, but you can buy black wheel weights which are cool cause they are harder to see than the usual silver ones.

Z06Chris

First Name
C. Yi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type-R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Yeah, don't let them use crimp on wheel weights. I'm not sure what color your new wheels are, but you can buy black wheel weights which are cool cause they are harder to see than the usual silver ones.
You might want to road force balance to make sure they're perfect before applying the ceramic.

tdsounds

First Name
Woody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP Civic Type R
Country flag

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thinking about apply some ceramic coat to help clean the wheels easier from the brake dust and gunk. Ceramic coat don't protect from rock chips. Are there anyway to protect wheels from rock chips? I saw a clear paint dip online. Not sure if it can protect from rocks. https://www.dipyourcar.com/collecti...ducts/spray-shield-clear-protection-wheel-kit Anyone have any tips?
Just my experience but. I wouldn't put to much money into wheels protecting against rocks. Wheels fling up the rocks but are very seldom the victim of a rock chip. I like on gravel road and have zero chips on wheels in a year and a half now. Rocks generally are picked up and thrown away from the wheel not toward it. As for break dust. I have found the little corners of the wheel, the indention where the support arm meets the outer ring, gathers dust like a bitch. It also collects the hot pieces of break pad that bond to the rim. It is a MF'er to clean and get off. Ceramic coated my wheels and this issue has gone away. But, ceramic coating your wheels does absolutely nothing to keep wheels clean. They still collect the dust, you still have to wash them by hand. Stuff dies not just rinse off like you would think it just keeps the nasty stuff from sticking as much. To cut down on break dust, best thing to do is replace pads with full ceramic pad.

amurciano

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R FK8
Country flag
Correct me if I'm wrong, but when wheels are balanced, don't they remove the previous weights and put new ones, usually on a different area? I can't see how a wheel can be balanced with the existing weights and on the same spot/area?

SO if someone coated their wheels after getting tires mounted and balanced, and then got new tires mounted and balanced, how would one prevent wheel weights being placed on a ceramic coated section?

Also I had my wheels and barrels coated when I first got my car, and recently had new tires mounted and balanced and they wheel weights stuck on very well with no issues.

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes correct. To get the weights to properly adhere, the shop will rough up the barrel surface with fine sand paper or emory cloth to break the ceramic.

Holding off to ceramic the wheels until after installing tires saves one trip and may be harder to hit all the spots as opposed to the rims being unmounted.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when wheels are balanced, don't they remove the previous weights and put new ones, usually on a different area? I can't see how a wheel can be balanced with the existing weights and on the same spot/area?

SO if someone coated their wheels after getting tires mounted and balanced, and then got new tires mounted and balanced, how would one prevent wheel weights being placed on a ceramic coated section?

Also I had my wheels and barrels coated when I first got my car, and recently had new tires mounted and balanced and they wheel weights stuck on very well with no issues.
Sponsored