Need advice: I keep scraping the underside of my car pulling out of my driveway

Spinner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
We all know the 2016 Civic is a bit lower than the outgoing model, and that's already caused me a few tense moments going over some pretty gnarly (and under-maintained) speed bumps in my corner of Vermont. Normally, I just avoid them.

Recently, however, they've been doing water main work on my street, and set up an "above ground" main at the end of my driveway with a gravel ramp. Coming home today, I drove over it and scraped the crap out of the bottom of my car (wince).

I have a few questions:

1). Will this cause any damage? I scraped it twice--once coming into my driveway and once out (I backed out at 1 mph, and same deal).

2). Has anybody else had this issue with their Civic? Do you have any tips about how to mitigate this? I suppose it's to be expected with such a low car, but as a new driver within the last 5 months, I was wondering if anyone had tips :).

I guess I'm going to be parking on the street until they get the water main stuff done. I just hope there isn't any damage.
Sponsored

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Drove a slammed car - did what you did daily for 6 years haha.

Go very slowly (of course), and take inclines at the steepest steering angle you can. Instead of going directly up the driveway, angle your car so that you enter the driveway at an angle, then straighten out once you've cleared the bump.

Either that, or get some wood planks and make your own ramp, with the construction crews permission.

There's no damage other than cosmetic. Most likely you're hitting plastic, and maybe the mufflers.

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Hybrid, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
are you scraping the front, back, or both?? I don't think you will do much damage. The only thing that might help is slightly bigger tires/wheels that get the car more off the ground.

I went from 06 Civic Hybrid to 16 Civic Touring. The clearance is better and I don't scrape the parking barriers anymore at work.

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Rarely, I'll scrape the bumper when it happens. Other times its just the plastic lip underneath the car. Go over it at an angle or really slow. But never straight.

OP
OP
Spinner

Spinner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
It's between the wheels. I've scraped the front of my car coming out of parking lots before, and the underside (gently) going over some wonky speed bumps.

The picture below shows the ramp I have to get over. Without fail, every time I've gone over it, I scrape what feels like a foot or two behind the front wheels.

Honda Civic 10th gen Need advice: I keep scraping the underside of my car pulling out of my driveway ram

Deleted User 1886347

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's between the wheels. I've scraped the front of my car coming out of parking lots before, and the underside (gently) going over some wonky speed bumps.

The picture below shows the ramp I have to get over. Without fail, every time I've gone over it, I scrape what feels like a foot or two behind the front wheels.

ramp.jpg
Man, that makes me cringe. That looks almost unavoidable no matter what angle you go at.

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Hybrid, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
a long flat 2x6 at the bottom may be enough to step it up to prevent scraping. but you'd have to experiment.

Javex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sedan EX WOP - Aero Kit/Wing Spoiler
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

ramp.jpg
Holy crap.. you need one of those Mercedes AMG 6X6 To clear that lol!

is that an 70 degrees angle?

even if you are able to not scrape it going up, you will git it going down. There is no win here.

Civic_Honey627

Can't hide from the cops in this one!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L Coupe Energy Green!!!
Country flag

ramp.jpg
OMG that's HORRIBLE!!!! That's impossible to do without something getting scraped.

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Yeah... what everybody else has said. Just avoid that. You'd scrape under the car with any car on that, at least that's what it looks like!

Ghostinnc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 black pearl Civic EX-T coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

ramp.jpg
Holy crap dude that's outrageous need a 4 wheel drive to clear that hump!:bs:

OP
OP
Spinner

Spinner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
I talked to the people who paved the driveway, and they were no help at all. I'd say its about 50-60 degree angle. When I was driving on the highway today, I could hear bits of gravel dropping out from the underside of the car. Gave me a bit of a start. Won't be parking in the driveway any time soon... :nono:

Ghostinnc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 black pearl Civic EX-T coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I talked to the people who paved the driveway, and they were no help at all. I'd say its about 50-60 degree angle. When I was driving on the highway today, I could hear bits of gravel dropping out from the underside of the car. Gave me a bit of a start. Won't be parking in the driveway any time soon... :nono:
I hear ya

Dretlaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring WOP, 2023 Tesla Model Y Perf
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Smart choice. Don't risk it. That's a nasty hump.
Sponsored