Nearly 4 months since I sold my CTR... thoughts/reflections

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As most of you know, I got rid of my CTR about 4 months ago due to various reasons and traded it in on a 2017 Mazda3 hatchback. Well, I just wanted to take some time to reflect on the experience and what it's been like without it.

First, to get the biggest question out of the way... I definitely miss my CTR. But do I regret getting rid of it? No.

In the 4 months since buying my 3, I have gone to places I wouldn't have taken my CTR. Without worrying about getting stuck in traffic, being on horribly bumpy trails, worrying about rock chips, etc, my 3 has almost 5000 miles on it already since I bought it. It's ease of driving with all the technology has done a lot to ease my anxious mind and it's empowered me to drive it more. I've taken it to many parks, landmarks, etc along the way and it helped me appreciate nature more, along with how wonderful our planet really is.

However, the 3 is not my CTR. The CTR had a special factor to it. Simply put, I do not get the same sort of enjoyment out of driving my 3 as I did with my CTR. However, I get more enjoyment of being able to relax more in my 3 than I was able to in my CTR, if that makes sense. Less stress = more relaxing.

Having a significantly lower payment and not having to fill up as much is another bonus.

The big thing I miss though is that manual transmission. My friend test drove a WRX with me recently along with a Jetta GLI and it instantly made me remember why manual cars are so fun. And I have to say - for as much as the CTR gearbox liked to screw with me, it really is one helluva transmission. I think the WRX is actually pretty good too (also the low range torque is downright addicting), but I can see why everyone prefers the CTR gearbox now.

However, I love my 3's automatic too! It's smooth, it's basic (6 gears paired with a torque convertor), and if I really want some more engagement, I have the manual mode, and it works great. As a daily driver, I prefer the automatic. But when it comes to just enjoying a spirited drive? Yeah, the CTR wins big time. Still, the 3 is fun in it's own way, and it's not like I can't have fun in it - I can have plenty of fun in it. It's just a different fun compared to my CTR.

I also miss seeing that huge wing and the basically anime-come-to-life design of the CTR.

After I figure out my living situation, I definitely am going to save for a fun car to accompany my 3. Thinking of maybe a Civic Si, or a WRX; really unsure yet. One thing for sure, I want it to be manual, because I miss it!

P.S. I've seen every color of CTR minus yellow and white since I sold mine. What gives? Anyone in the Doylestown/New Britain area... especially if you have a blue CTR... I've been seeing you!
Sponsored

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
Life is about being happy and content with the decisions you have made. You could reflect on the past, but you cant live in it. No point right? Good to see you man hope you don't completely leave us but i understand if you did.

OP
OP
Zeffy94

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Life is about being happy and content with the decisions you have made. You could reflect on the past, but you cant live in it. No point right? Good to see you man hope you don't completely leave us but i understand if you did.
Hell yeah man, I did take a small break from here, but I'm back. It's a much better place than being on Twitter lately. :p

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Toyota Sienna, 2006 Toyota Highlander, 1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye
Country flag
Glad to see you’re doing well Zeffy! Wise words from Byron!

Si_chRis

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Honda Civic Si, 2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
What do you think of the new 2021 Mazda 3 Turbo hatchback? It seems it can be the happy medium for you between your current Mazda 3 and the CTR.

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
Zeffy: Glad your choice is working out for you.

Drive on in good health.
As most of you know, I got rid of my CTR about 4 months ago due to various reasons and traded it in on a 2017 Mazda3 hatchback. Well, I just wanted to take some time to reflect on the experience and what it's been like without it.

First, to get the biggest question out of the way... I definitely miss my CTR. But do I regret getting rid of it? No.

In the 4 months since buying my 3, I have gone to places I wouldn't have taken my CTR. Without worrying about getting stuck in traffic, being on horribly bumpy trails, worrying about rock chips, etc, my 3 has almost 5000 miles on it already since I bought it. It's ease of driving with all the technology has done a lot to ease my anxious mind and it's empowered me to drive it more. I've taken it to many parks, landmarks, etc along the way and it helped me appreciate nature more, along with how wonderful our planet really is.

However, the 3 is not my CTR. The CTR had a special factor to it. Simply put, I do not get the same sort of enjoyment out of driving my 3 as I did with my CTR. However, I get more enjoyment of being able to relax more in my 3 than I was able to in my CTR, if that makes sense. Less stress = more relaxing.

Having a significantly lower payment and not having to fill up as much is another bonus.

The big thing I miss though is that manual transmission. My friend test drove a WRX with me recently along with a Jetta GLI and it instantly made me remember why manual cars are so fun. And I have to say - for as much as the CTR gearbox liked to screw with me, it really is one helluva transmission. I think the WRX is actually pretty good too (also the low range torque is downright addicting), but I can see why everyone prefers the CTR gearbox now.

However, I love my 3's automatic too! It's smooth, it's basic (6 gears paired with a torque convertor), and if I really want some more engagement, I have the manual mode, and it works great. As a daily driver, I prefer the automatic. But when it comes to just enjoying a spirited drive? Yeah, the CTR wins big time. Still, the 3 is fun in it's own way, and it's not like I can't have fun in it - I can have plenty of fun in it. It's just a different fun compared to my CTR.

I also miss seeing that huge wing and the basically anime-come-to-life design of the CTR.

After I figure out my living situation, I definitely am going to save for a fun car to accompany my 3. Thinking of maybe a Civic Si, or a WRX; really unsure yet. One thing for sure, I want it to be manual, because I miss it!

P.S. I've seen every color of CTR minus yellow and white since I sold mine. What gives? Anyone in the Doylestown/New Britain area... especially if you have a blue CTR... I've been seeing you!

OP
OP
Zeffy94

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What do you think of the new 2021 Mazda 3 Turbo hatchback? It seems it can be the happy medium for you between your current Mazda 3 and the CTR.
Test drove one. If I could've afforded one I would've bought it. Very comfy, interior is top notch, and it handles exceptionally well with Mazda's AWD system. The automatic is no slouch either.

Sounds like you should've kept the R and bought a beater.
Don't have room for 2 cars

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
Seems you made the right choice for your needs. If I needed a car to hit trails or sit in significant amount of traffic in regularly, the CTR would not be for me either. Enjoy the 3 :thumbsup: when the time comes to get that extra fun car, really consider spending a good amount of time with the WRX (and Si). Have a feeling you're going to be disappointed coming from the R.

krees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R & 2020 Ridgeline BE
Country flag
As much as I love the r, I have been toying with getting rid of it as well. I'm just in lazy winter mode currently so we'll see in a few months. Anyone know a buying service that pays well? :D

OP
OP
Zeffy94

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think OP was borderline broke. Was kinda hoping to see a positive fiscal in his update.
Money wise I'm doing pretty good. I was never really broke, it was just the payment wouldn't do well with future expenses.

Seems you made the right choice for your needs. If I needed a car to hit trails or sit in significant amount of traffic in regularly, the CTR would not be for me either. Enjoy the 3 :thumbsup: when the time comes to get that extra fun car, really consider spending a good amount of time with the WRX (and Si). Have a feeling you're going to be disappointed coming from the R.
Yeah I think nothing will come close to my R, but I eventually want to get another one. I don't see that happening for quite some time though, since the resale value is still bonkers.

gaara46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR, 4runner
Country flag
ive roadtripped all over with my CTR even on the stock 20s and never had a problem. i just kept a tire pump in my trunk and i would check tire pressure before setting out on a long stint.

at the end of the day it’s a honda civic. it can do “normal” car things just fine. carry a bunch of crap, good mpg etc.

you can get a rock chip anywhere if its 5 or 500 miles from your place. not gona let that bother me. if i were paranoid about things i can’t control i wouldnt have bought it in the first place.

sucks u let urs go, id wake up and cry if i saw an automatic mazda in my driveway instead of a CTR. haha just giving u shit.

but like others have stated, you do you. goodluck.

Snmtazz70

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
500HP 2019 Honda Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Good to hear! I have another car so the CTR is for stressed driving lol. I also got a Honda Insight Touring, been to Tn, NC, SC, GA, and all over Fl in it, comfortable, automatic and great on gas. My only problem, I see all the other Type R's when I'm driving the Insight and barely when I drive the R.

Whatever makes you happy in the long run and stay away from the haters!!
Sponsored