Navi on Non-Navi model, Is it possible?

Akirazstylin

Spread a little aloha wherever you go!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I just got Android Auto to work and the google maps worked like a dream! I too have the EX-T version without the standard navigation, but I'm not worried and now I have google maps on my dashboard! :D
I actually prefer the google maps over the navi on my touring.
Sponsored

RedFiver13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
I hope this is something that we can eventually get working! I would like to have the compass and nav instructions show up in the gauge cluster screen. My car was advertised as an EX-L with nav but after I signed the paperwork I discovered it didn't have it. They knocked some money off of the price of the car and saved me about $10 a month though.

Akirazstylin

Spread a little aloha wherever you go!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I hope this is something that we can eventually get working! I would like to have the compass and nav instructions show up in the gauge cluster screen. My car was advertised as an EX-L with nav but after I signed the paperwork I discovered it didn't have it. They knocked some money off of the price of the car and saved me about $10 a month though.
It's something good to have though. Either model they're all good.

RockyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Kia Optima SXL, 2015 Honda CRV EX, 2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2003 Lancer Evolution
It's too bad HERE Maps don't work with Android Auto.

thepixelsedge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
I second this!!! I don't really care for the built in Garmin Nav but I'd like to see the directions in the gauge cluster as well.

What I don't get is that in trims with Nav, you can get those directions when using CarPlay or android auto but if you don't have built in Nav you can't! What's up with that Honda?

Anekin007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Wont work on the civic since dev options is still locked. The 2016 pilot doesnt have unknown sources as an option and theres a grayed out option thats is checked with description of verify install app over usb/adb. the EU is running a older version and less secure. US hondas doesnt have honda connect. Didnt think honda would left something so simple opened like that lol. all you guys need to do is run a motion bypass and youre set.

ikevinc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
@mikealanni I stopped trying. I had some ideas but all of them would take more effort that I cared to put into it.

The root of the cause is there is a "whitelist" app that shuts down any app that isn't in the whitelist file. I have not located the whitelist file from a 2016 Civic, but it's different from the EU version running on an older version of android. I did note that I could download and install the Aha Radio APK, but of course, that's to be expected since aha radio is definitely on the whitelist. It checks for the package name, not the filename when deciding if it's ok to install.

[edit: some believe there could also be other issues such as the filesystem(s) mounted read only, however, IMHO that's not the case, I have some data to support my opinion.]

The time consuming angle I didn't try is to actually write an android app with a package name that matches something on the whitelist and see if it will run. The problem is that I doubt it will install if the app is already installed and the signatures don't match (i.e. a fake Aha Radio app that doesn't have the Aha Radio signature). If someone were to find a way in, the first app that gets installed needs to be one that will allow locating and editing the whitelist, or killing the whitelist app that's running, so that we can install further apps.

[edit: the special app someone on XDAdevelopers wrote won't work for the US civic running a newer version of android, I suspect the whitelist format and location is also different.]

I also noticed that the browser app that is pre-installed will accept local file paths/files and display text files, if I were to have an exact path to the whitelist, it could probably be viewed in there.

Maybe one day someone will physically open the headunit and extract the file system. If we had a full copy of the file system(s) from the US model (not the EU model), we could more easily search for vulnerabilities. Of course, if someone were to do this, they might also be able to edit files and stop the whitelist app from ever starting, or enable adb, or root... It's just not worth the risk/benefit to me. Maybe if a unit ends up on ebay for a reasonable price one day I'll pick it up to experiment.

mikealanni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Country flag
I was able to stop the whitelist app by stopping it after stopping another apps I don't recall them but the install failed too.
There is something interesting that you can export and import data to flash drive in the hidden menu, might this something to look for it as am not that programming experience

ikevinc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
I was able to stop the whitelist app by stopping it after stopping another apps I don't recall them but the install failed too.
There is something interesting that you can export and import data to flash drive in the hidden menu, might this something to look for it as am not that programming experience
I don't remember where it was but in the diagnostic menus, buried somewhere it will do a dump to a usb flash drive 3 files, includes all the system startup long entries and messages, lists the file systems, and lots of other data. It's a lot of data to sort through, but I combed through it all and nothing jumped out at me as a way in. The EU civic, and 2016 Pilot have the option to enable developer mode in their diagnostic screens, but we don't have that. I think the unit itself is made by a different manufacturer. US 2016 Civics have a Mitsubishi electric made unit. Where as the 2016 Pilot (and maybe EU civics too) have a Clarion made unit.

[Edit: If you find it, warning it takes about 15 minutes. So get ready to sit awhile for it to finish.]

Last edited:

mikealanni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Country flag
I found those logs file and I looked into it, they are not that usefull at least for me, but there is another location you can export files and change them then import them. they have some audio and camera and other app setting I think

ikevinc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
Something I've been thinking about is trying to get my hands on the software update USB that is part of the TSB 16-022 (http://www.civicx.com/attachments/ml-reaasc6a-usb_drive_sb_16-022-pdf.10010/). The USB update has a honda part number of 07AAZ-TBAA100 and seems to be available from honda parts stores online. I can't find an disk image of it online. If it has a full copy of the OS file system, might be able to extract it and look for vulnerabilities. Or it might be possible to learn how to create a custom update USB. Clearly from the TSB instructions, the head unit recognizes it as a system update and presents a prompt that is different from any other prompt I've seen on it before.

MikeJXWT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Honda Civic LX 2-Dr Coupe, 2017 Honda Civic EX 5-Dr Hatchback, 1994 Chevy Silverado Full-Size Std Cabin, 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie Full-Size Quad Cabin, 2004 Toyota Tacoma Std 2-Dr Pick-up, 2017 Toyota Corolla LE, 2017 Nissan Fronteir S King Cab
Country flag
Doesn't help much, but when I was talking to my Dealership about adding the Intergrated Navigation to my EX-T Hatch they refered me to a Custom Car Audio Shop. Called the shop and they said it's possible via an Authorized Car Audio Dealer who will install the Software/SD Card and Activate the Intergrated Navigation. Unfortunately for me they stopped installing them because of way too many unhappy customers. Apparently our Infotainment center is just that buggy? Or is it just the Navitation? Told my dealership that their recommendation stopped installing the Integrated Navi and they reffered me to two other shops by my Local Chilis and Mazda Dealership.
Sponsored