Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
Anyone using either of these tires? If so, in what sizes? I have used Hankooks RS4s (265 width) for lapping and Falken RT660 (275 width) for time attack competition. The Hankooks are skinny, not fast but very consistent and wear really well. The Falkens are faster, way bigger and wear faster. Thinking of changing things up for this year.

The Continental Extreme Contact Force even as a 275 seems to measure small according to the Tirerack site but seems to be pretty well liked (if not expensive). The Nanking CRS seems to be a clone of the Yokohama A052 that lasts a bit longer and can take a bit more heat. The Nanking comes as a 265/35-18 and a 275/35-18 but according to the link at Phil's Tire, the 275 has the same section width as tread width (which is a bit surprising) on a 10" rim while the 265 has a significant difference in section vs tread width on a 9.5" wheel( I have 9.5" wide rims). Also the 265 Nanking has a higher load capacity than the 275 which makes me think the 275 has a softer sidewall. I know the Nankings will require at least neg 3 degrees camber which I am ok with.
Sponsored

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
Are the continentals supposed to be an endurance 200?

OP
OP

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I believe the Continentals market themselves as endurance racing tires but they are not that much slower than the hot 200 UTQG tires. Likely great for lapping even if they don't last as long as the Hankooks.

Sleepy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 CW
Country flag
Iā€™m running the Nankangs. 265/35 on 18x9.5ā€™s. Iā€™m lowered on Swifts but had my fenders done a week after install cause of rubbing. Love the performance they hold really well.

OP
OP

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Wondering about the relative advantage of the Nanking 275 over the 265. I have 9.5" rims as well. OTOH, I am at stock ride height and had no issues with rubbing with the 275 Falkens which appear really big.

Don't imagine there will be any issue with the Continentals at 275 width.

AR-Delta

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Country flag
Loved the CRS I ran last season, planning on moving up to a 275 on a wider wheel to load up them sidewalls a bit. Also going to run a set of V730 as a lapping tire.

Thought about the Conti, but canā€™t beat the price of the Kuhmo which should be about as quick.

DPL8

First Name
Eddy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
acuityinstruments.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R 3388
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have ran the CR1s/S for a few years now and they have been well, probably 1 sec behind a AO52.

One big criticism I have with the nankangs is that they overheat fairly quickly especially with our heavy cars, I get about 3 laps before they are heat soaked and greasy.

Apparently they have made some adjustments to the compound for 2023 so looking forward to trying them out.

OP
OP

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have ran the CR1s/S for a few years now and they have been well, probably 1 sec behind a AO52.

One big criticism I have with the nankangs is that they overheat fairly quickly especially with our heavy cars, I get about 3 laps before they are heat soaked and greasy.

Apparently they have made some adjustments to the compound for 2023 so looking forward to trying them out.
Funny that in our local time attack series, where the average car is likely a bit lighter than a CTR, the Yoko A052 is known as a 1 lap wonder and the Nanking as a 2 lapper. Unfortunately for me, my fastest lap is almost always closer to the last lap.

One really interesting thing to note is that the Yoko is a significantly lighter tire than the Nanking (or most other tires of the same size for that matter). Certainly helps in terms of decreasing rotational mass.

As a matter of interest, what front camber settings do you use and what sort of hot pressures for the Nankings?

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag

Are there any 200 treadwear tires out there that you can give 100% to that will hold more than 3 laps and provide the same level of grip as the Nankangs before greasing over?

I feel like the Yoks probably wouldnt, and the RT660 might be similar in terms of how fast itll grease

OP
OP

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have found the Falken RT660s to be reasonably consistent over longer periods i.e 8-10 laps but are not wickedly fast. They also wear pretty quickly. OTOH if you are just lapping or attending an HPDE, Hankook RS4s can be reasonably consistent and wear a long time. I will be trying some Continental Extreme Contact Force tires this year and hope to be using Nanking CRS tires for competition at the same tracks. My guess is the Continentals will be between the Hankooks and Falkens in terms of grip and longevity.

DPL8

First Name
Eddy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
acuityinstruments.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Are there any 200 treadwear tires out there that you can give 100% to that will hold more than 3 laps and provide the same level of grip as the Nankangs before greasing over?

I feel like the Yoks probably wouldnt, and the RT660 might be similar in terms of how fast itll grease
Hankook RS4 give you 80% of the grip, but will last FOREVER, like no joke I have a set with 30+ HC on them and they still had plenty of tread. If you are just looking for a tire that will last and still be quick enough to enjoy those are always a good choice.

DPL8

First Name
Eddy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
acuityinstruments.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Funny that in our local time attack series, where the average car is likely a bit lighter than a CTR, the Yoko A052 is known as a 1 lap wonder and the Nanking as a 2 lapper. Unfortunately for me, my fastest lap is almost always closer to the last lap.

One really interesting thing to note is that the Yoko is a significantly lighter tire than the Nanking (or most other tires of the same size for that matter). Certainly helps in terms of decreasing rotational mass.

As a matter of interest, what front camber settings do you use and what sort of hot pressures for the Nankings?
I run -3.2 camber front -2 camber rear, in hot sessions It would be as low as 25 psi in the front and 28 psi in the rear.

OP
OP

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Wow 25 PSI hot? What sort of pressure cold?