Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
When's the next track day for you? Still pretty consistent in the mid 13 range?

Sorry I didn't answer all your questions. Next track day will possibly be at Cecil County Raceway on April 9th for a test-n-tune night. I may possibly be bracket racing (Drag racing) at an Hday (Honda Day) event on April 11th at Maryland International Raceway.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I made a short video while heading to work this morning. Take it for what it's worth. Not out to prove anything. Just showing what I'm seeing with the intake air temperature vs the outside air temperature.

No time for testing full wide open throttle, full boost runs yet. Was doing more than I should've making the video. :D

I said 'IAT1' in the video when I meant to say just IAT and IAT2. It's just a habit. I know it's just IAT for the intake air temp sensor in the maf sensor (Ktuner) and IAT2 for intake air temperature between the intercooler and throttle body (Ktuner).

Last edited:

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Great results! If you look at the eventuri intake for the FK8 ,they also use 2 air intakes because the one from the front was too small to supply enough air.Could be the case as wel in that Fit setup.
You could combine another air supply from the front grill (like i did with my carbon fiber scoop) .
When i have my new 3d printer i will most likely 3d draw the bottom scoop in cad and see if it could be 3d printed and try some better fitting models .Like a fully enclosed scoop from the grill up to the plastic shroud.

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Great results! If you look at the eventuri intake for the FK8 ,they also use 2 air intakes because the one from the front was too small to supply enough air.
Good point! I did try this with the Honda Fit. Both with a dual ram setup with the PRM intake and another time with the dual ram setup in the box. The dual ram setup in the box is what gave the 101-103% volumetric efficiency though vs single ram from the front grill having 105% volumetric efficiency. Only thing I could think of is that air coming into the box will travel the path of least resistance. Perhaps with just enough pressure (You'd have to be going really fast I would think), some of the air may go towards the intake while some may actually go out the path of the 2nd inlet (if the incoming air is not that strong). Either way, the dual setup was worse. Please excuse the pic below as it's just to show the path into the Honda Fit air intake box. The aluminum inside the box was removed before testing. Didn't want it sucking onto the air filter. It's an ancient test but I try to apply old tests to new stuff.

And in no way am I saying this is better than just putting an air filter the turbo inlet pipe. Just testing to see what it does. Can't hurt experimenting like this and learning.

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake Fit SRI-CAI

maddmatt02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic ex-t 2016 crv lx 2001 accord ex 1997 integra gs
Country flag
I would bet it's a manufacturer tolerance in the temp sensors or the ambient sensor is being brought slightly above true ambient because of placement or something because wouldn't it be scientifically impossible to draw air that's colder than the air? Not to take anything away though it's still impressive your IATs are both basically ambient while cruising.

Reactions: Myx

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would bet it's a manufacturer tolerance in the temp sensors or the ambient sensor is being brought slightly above true ambient because of placement or something because wouldn't it be scientifically impossible to draw air that's colder than the air? Not to take anything away though it's still impressive your IATs are both basically ambient while cruising.
I am in agreement with you. It makes no sense. It is what it is though. That's why I love testing stuff and just putting it out there. So perhaps someone smarter (And that's a LOT of people ? ) than me can explain it.

Did want to show people that you can have your SRI (Short Ram Intake) air intake temperature be the same or very close to the same air temperature as the outside air temperature. So people can remove the concept of an SRI having to draw engine bay air. Make a hybrid and try to have the best of both worlds (SRI and CAI).

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Good point! I did try this with the Honda Fit. Both with a dual ram setup with the PRM intake and another time with the dual ram setup in the box. The dual ram setup in the box is what gave the 101-103% volumetric efficiency though vs single ram from the front grill having 105% volumetric efficiency. Only thing I could think of is that air coming into the box will travel the path of least resistance. Perhaps with just enough pressure (You'd have to be going really fast I would think), some of the air may go towards the intake while some may actually go out the path of the 2nd inlet (if the incoming air is not that strong). Either way, the dual setup was worse. Please excuse the pic below as it's just to show the path into the Honda Fit air intake box. The aluminum inside the box was removed before testing. Didn't want it sucking onto the air filter. It's an ancient test but I try to apply old tests to new stuff.

And in no way am I saying this is better than just putting an air filter the turbo inlet pipe. Just testing to see what it does. Can't hurt experimenting like this and learning.

Fit SRI-CAI.jpg
This could also be because the 2 air supply's are flowing against each other (creating turbulence)They are flowing directly into each other in this picture.

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Sorry if this is out of topic.

I'm still using the stock plastic charge pipe and obviously stock plastic turbo inlet.

Would it make a significant difference if I wrap the charge pipes and the turbo inlet with heat reflective tape?

I just want to make sure because doing the wrap will be time consuming.

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

I'm still using the stock plastic charge pipe and obviously stock plastic turbo inlet.

Would it make a significant difference if I wrap the charge pipes and the turbo inlet with heat reflective tape?

I wish I could answer this properly but I don't have any data on this. People in the forums have stated it makes a difference, especially the turbo inlet pipe.

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
I wish I could answer this properly but I don't have any data on this. People in the forums have stated it makes a difference, especially the turbo inlet pipe.
I'll give it a shot when I have the time. Thanks @Myx !

salik990

First Name
Salik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic 1.5T, 15' Audi A3 1.8T, Toyota Hilux Revo 2017
Country flag

get the inlet pipe blanket, it doesnt let the intake IAT goes higher on idle.
Sponsored