Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Did anyone on here tried to insulate the maf sensor ? From all the logs i'm doing i think the sensor itself gets heatsoaked as wel.
Sponsored

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Did anyone on here tried to insulate the maf sensor ? From all the logs i'm doing i think the sensor itself gets heatsoaked as wel.
I was curious about this and took some temperatures after a drive I don't recall the air temps at the time, but it was summer, so hot

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake IMG_20190703_123215
Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake IMG_20190703_123228
Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake IMG_20190703_123237
Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake IMG_20190703_123241

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake IMG_20190703_123258

So the temps get hotter as they get closer to the turbo and downpipe

The MAF in my setup doesn't seem to be much hotter than the air filter, but that doesn't mean wrapping it won't make a difference

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Being heat soaked from a cooling fan. Oxymoron ain't it? :p

You were so right man. The maf sensor was really, REALLY HOT. And it's not like it is 90+ degrees outside. Will work on this tomorrow if I can as long as the Misses doesn't keep me occupied. I'm actually wondering if the heat soaking is causing the maf sensor readings to read hotter than it should be, and affecting the tune in general (Ignition timing, fueling, etc). It really doesn't seem like a coincidence since post turbo piping was cooler than the maf sensor, after I let the car sit for a bit.
Just finished gold wrapping the maf sensor. I have never done this stuff before so bear with me if it looks ghetto.

Edit: Just added another pic. I even gold wrapped the silicone coupler that attaches to the maf sensor. Because I have mental issues. :crazy:

20190615_091439.jpg

20190615_100930.jpg

20190615_100958.jpg

20190615_113717.jpg

I wish I did like @86salmon (Huge thanks) and took pics of measured differences of temperature on my intake for show and tell. The maf sensor was very hot to the touch. I couldn't leave my hand/fingers on it for any amount of time. That's why I heat wrapped it.

No, it wasn't heat soaked just because I was using an SRI. Just the heat from the engine and the radiator fan blowing up onto it. The location of my maf sensor is closer to the turbo so it seems more in the direct path of the hot air blowing up from the radiator. Even still, it's not much further away than the stock location. So I wrapped it.

Last edited:

raulnor516

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I'm looking forward to seeing results from all this hard work! Thanks for the extensive documentation @Myx

• Love
Reactions: Myx

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks guys ,i knew i've seen you wrap the MAF sensor somewhere Myx but couldn't remember where.Well a few days ago it was very hott around here 32°C (90°F) and i was waiting in a parking lot for my girlfriend with the car running and the AC on. After about 10min i was thinking i need to log the car and see what the iat temps are doing.
I quickly connected my phone with the obd2 dongle and i noticed IAT was 58°C (136°F) !! and LTFT was -11%.I don't think the air temp inside the airbox actually was 58°C but the MAF sensor could have been heat soaked badly.I measured under hood engine bay temps of 60 -70°C before in hott weather while idling.
Maybe thats why The OEM air guide /rubber seal thingy on the hood from the airbox is guided towards the MAF sensor.

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks guys ,i knew i've seen you wrap the MAF sensor somewhere Myx but couldn't remember where.Well a few days ago it was very hott around here 32°C (90°F) and i was waiting in a parking lot for my girlfriend with the car running and the AC on. After about 10min i was thinking i need to log the car and see what the iat temps are doing.
I quickly connected my phone with the obd2 dongle and i noticed IAT was 58°C (136°F) !! and LTFT was -11%.I don't think the air temp inside the airbox actually was 58°C but the MAF sensor could have been heat soaked badly.I measured under hood engine bay temps of 60 -70°C before in hott weather while idling.
Maybe thats why The OEM air guide /rubber seal thingy on the hood from the airbox is guided towards the MAF sensor.
All this talk of heat soak makes me want to change the hood out for one with vents on it for this very situation. Driving around is fine now. It's any prolonged sitting that can be a problem. Of course a simple solution could be just to turn the car off but who wants to do that when it may be 35°C (95°F) outside?

I'll be looking around for a lighter hood with vents. Will see how it goes. Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I started over with etuning the TD03. Drob is handling it now. On the fourth tune and it's getting fun

27won tips are out of stock until August and pictures of a PRL tester are out...

so by then, there may be two choices.

If/when I get one, I'm going to be getting a giant sized S&B double cone from Verocious along with the appropriate coupler, and have a setup like yours.

I did end up with a heat shield and a one inch longer filter. It barely fits lol. Breathes pretty good though. During a log in 97°f heat today, my intake and FMIC were 104, 116 during a wot 2k-redline pull and both sat around 111-114 while cruising in traffic. I'm still impressed with this little Sri setup

IMG_20200701_010849.jpg

Love your intake setup. Seems it should work just fine. And it's good to see PRL moving on their turbo inlet pipe.

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well i had a inlet pipe (TIP) blanket from aliexpress that i ordered some time ago.(Same one as the PTP Lava blanket) I bought it because it was so cheap and wanted to try this out.
I finally installed it and tested it out.This does help to reduce the heat soak of the TIP.
I noticed my IAT and IAT2 temps had much less of a difference between them then before.
This was a pain to install without removing the TIP,i managed to slide it between the turbo and the TIP but you need to pull and tuck it really well.

@ Myx maybe you can look out for a used Type R hood ?
It's aluminium,vented and has additional space where the air filter sits for air flow.

E-man did the conversion and some others,i think the hinges needed to be modified or something.

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake 106640206_723075708519240_434773433399168499_n

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake 107377485_705754896874148_7841172049103813835_n

Last edited:
OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
~~Minor Update~~

I've been riding around with a short ram setup (Myxal SRI) for the time being. Did some tests at the track the last two weeks. Idling in the staging lanes of the dragstrip this weekend seemed to have a significant effect on my 60ft times vs last week when I let the car cool off. 60ft times dropped from 2.1-2.2 range to 2.3-2.4 and inlet temps were post 100F this week, verses 60-70f ranges the previous week. Outside temps were within +/- 8f or so.

So decided today to convert this setup to the Myxal SRI-CAI setup I previously had. Only change now is the addition of the 27Won TIP (Turbo Inlet Pipe). I am still drawing air in from the driver's side foglight area. The air filter in the box setup is smaller than the short ram air filter (SRI air filter is 8"X4"...HUGE). The car is a bit dirty but it's not a show car. Some pics below.

Also...I'm not so critical this time in making the box air tight. It's pretty close though. I just want to minimize (Before eliminate) any hot air from being taken in while coming off from idling or a dead stop. That initial sucking in of hot air impacts the turbo's spool up performance. It's minor and most people probably don't give a crap about it. I'm talking a difference of 1/10th - 2/10ths of a second difference. I'm super picky! The top lid of the box was sealed off with high temp tape after I took these pics.

BTW: I had some skepticism as to whether how much (if any) cooler air was getting up to the Myxal SRI from the foglight, since the filter is sitting on top of the funnel beneath it. I purposely am showing the underside of the big air filter in one of the pics below. You can see that it is dirtier here than the rest of the air filter. This is the part that was receiving air from the foglight below. It works!

**Not recommending anyone do this or take this route**
If you have any concerns, please just stay stock and enjoy your car. :p

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake Myxal SRI-CAI-1

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake Myxal SRI-CAI-2

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake Myxal SRI-CAI-3

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake Myxal SRI-CAI-4

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake Myxal SRI-CAI-5

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake Myxal SRI-CAI

Last edited:

maddmatt02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic ex-t 2016 crv lx 2001 accord ex 1997 integra gs
Country flag
Have you looked at the gram/sec values between both? It looks kinda like the box sides and lid are very close to the filter itself and might be limiting usable filter surface area to some extent... although at least its the double cone style so maybe there's plenty of area and it doesn't matter. When's the next track day for you? Still pretty consistent in the mid 13 range?

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Have you looked at the gram/sec values between both? It looks kinda like the box sides and lid are very close to the filter itself and might be limiting usable filter surface area to some extent... although at least its the double cone style so maybe there's plenty of area and it doesn't matter. When's the next track day for you? Still pretty consistent in the mid 13 range?

Good points! When I previously looked at gram/sec, on the same day...changing the intakes from SRI to this, it didn't make a significant difference. Mostly stayed the same.

I had the same concern as you with the filter being close to the box on three sides of it. It makes sense. That it could probably be smothered or restricted during high rpms. However, when I made this the first time and tested it a few pages back, the car had went its quickest time and trap speed ever. Even while comparing it to the Myxal SRI or PRL CAI setups. It incorporated the low rpm 'cool air' draw in of PRL CAI but allowed for the extra air to be brought in during high rpm (Like the Myxal SRI). So I was convinced.

Also, look at this Grassroots Motorsports test of intake length with a supercharger setup. Look at the very last test they did with a cardboard on two sides of the air filter. The result was interesting to say this least. And this was without air actually being forced into the cardboard box, like what I'm trying to do.
Grassroots Motorsports Test
One last thing too is when I did this on my N/A 2015 Honda Fit (Ram air setup from front), the volumetric efficiency went up to 105-106% at wide open throttle. I couldn't get it over 100% with any other intake setup I had with one exception. That was a dual ram-air (from front foglight and top of front grill). That had netted a 101-102% volumetric effficiency. I've included a few pics for clarity of the Honda Fit Intake experiments...

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake Grill Ram-Air

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake Grill Ram-Air2

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake PRM-Dual Ram-Air2

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake PRM-Dual Ram-Air

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake PRM-Dual Ram-Air3

PM&M

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatchback Sport
Country flag
~~Minor Update~~

I've been riding around with a short ram setup (Myxal SRI) for the time being. Did some tests at the track the last two weeks. Idling in the staging lanes of the dragstrip this weekend seemed to have a significant effect on my 60ft times vs last week when I let the car cool off. 60ft times dropped from 2.1-2.2 range to 2.3-2.4 and inlet temps were post 100F this week, verses 60-70f ranges the previous week. Outside temps were within +/- 8f or so.

So decided today to convert this setup to the Myxal SRI-CAI setup I previously had. Only change now is the addition of the 27Won TIP (Turbo Inlet Pipe). I am still drawing air in from the driver's side foglight area. The air filter in the box setup is smaller than the short ram air filter (SRI air filter is 8"X4"...HUGE). The car is a bit dirty but it's not a show car. Some pics below.

Also...I'm not so critical this time in making the box air tight. It's pretty close though. I just want to minimize (Before eliminate) any hot air from being taken in while coming off from idling or a dead stop. That initial sucking in of hot air impacts the turbo's spool up performance. It's minor and most people probably don't give a crap about it. I'm talking a difference of 1/10th - 2/10ths of a second difference. I'm super picky! The top lid of the box was sealed off with high temp tape after I took these pics.

BTW: I had some skepticism as to whether how much (if any) cooler air was getting up to the Myxal SRI from the foglight, since the filter is sitting on top of the funnel beneath it. I purposely am showing the underside of the big air filter in one of the pics below. You can see that it is dirtier here than the rest of the air filter. This is the part that was receiving air from the foglight below. It works!

**Not recommending anyone do this or take this route**
If you have any concerns, please just stay stock and enjoy your car. :p

Myxal SRI-CAI-1.jpg

Myxal SRI-CAI-2.jpg

Myxal SRI-CAI-3.jpg

Myxal SRI-CAI-4.jpg

Myxal SRI-CAI-5.jpg

Myxal SRI-CAI.jpg
This whole thread is great, appreciate the work you put in as with everyone's advice. I'm inspired to try something similar when the time comes to it.

But if I recall correctly the EX trim comes with Honda Sensing right? Did removing the Honda Sensing radar cover down by the fog light render Honda Sensing inoperable or throw an operational error code?

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This whole thread is great, appreciate the work you put in as with everyone's advice. I'm inspired to try something similar when the time comes to it.

But if I recall correctly the EX trim comes with Honda Sensing right? Did removing the Honda Sensing radar cover down by the fog light render Honda Sensing inoperable or throw an operational error code?
Good question! I don't have Honda Sensing on my EX (?). Hoping someone can answer this for you.

ilipac

@blueFK7
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Good question! I don't have Honda Sensing on my EX (?). Hoping someone can answer this for you.
2019+ came standard with sensing if I remember correctly
Sponsored