Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am literally typing this as I go through to try to make something. I have no idea if it'll even come together. Who cares.

I'm using a Mishimoto maf sensor housing. I don't have the proper silicone hose or air filter to connect to the pipe that connects to the turbo inlet. I am about to head out to get a silicone reducer and what I call a BAAF (Big As* Air Filter). The pictures I have below is only partially what I have in mind. I plan on making a tube(s) to route down to the foglight area.

I'm sure there will be a ton of questions.
  1. Do you REALLY think what you are doing is better than the stock intake?
  2. The company has made the best intake and invested millions of dollars in it. You can't improve it. Why?
  3. You are purchasing a PRL CAI, you can't make an intake better than theirs. Why?
  4. That looks so ghetto. Why?
  5. What about your fuel trims?
  6. What about turbulence?
  7. Wtf?
  8. Etc....
I figure I'd help some of you out and get those out of the way. Instead of answering each one of those like I used to do WAY back in the day, I answer like I have been answering as of late. The answer is.....Because I can! :lol: I'm only interested in reducing that 1/4 mile time and trap speed you see in my sig.

Now I'm out to pick up some parts. Will update! :headbang:

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake Air Filters 1

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake Air Filters

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake Mitsimoto Maf Sensor

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake Air Filters 2

In my haste to show this part, I was holding the wrong end (Air Filter End) up to the stock intake piping. Oops!
Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake Mitsimoto Maf Sensor 2

Below articles are just for personal reference. Please Disregard!!
A Technical Discussion of Intakes and Turbocharging
The rule of thumb with intakes is that the larger the diameter, the shorter the intake and the fewer the turns the better in terms of what the turbo “likes” (less losses = more power).

When do you need a bigger intake
The effect of Intake Air on Turbocharged Vehicles
A Technical discussion of Intakes and Turbocharging
How intake air temperature affect turbo cars and dealing with IATs
Eliminating Negative Boost - Autospeed
What makes the best intake - Grassroots Motorsports
High/Low Air Pressure Locations on Car - Autospeed
Intelligent Modifications: Measuring Intake Restrictions
Seeking Performance Perfection: Honda Intake Dyno Testing
Air Intake Harmonic Tuning Test Result
Vararam Ram Air Theory
Compressor Efficiency and More
(value MAF g / s) / 0.82 = hp
.... it takes x amount of air to combust with y amount of gas. If you know the air, you know the gas. If you know the gas then you know the amount of energy that is combusting. If you know the energy then you can convert it to any form you want...hp for instance.
Cubit Feet Per Minute to Grams Per Second (CFM to G/S Conversion).

My personal quote/info from old Honda Fit thread I posted in another forum. Can't remember source of the info.
Maf sensor Grams Per Second (g/s)
For every 2.28g/s gain is equal too 4.54hp.
In other words every 0.5g/s gained is equal to 1hp

More personal notes but for N/A application....
Intake pipe length and diameter can influence engine performance. Long intake pipe produces higher volumetric efficiency, torque, and power at low engine speeds, while, for high engine speeds, short pipe length produces higher engine performance. For the engine tested, the minimum SFC and the maximum thermal efficiency were noticed around 3,000 rev/min. Large pipe diameter produce higher volumetric efficiency at high engine speeds and lower volumetric efficiency at low speeds, but its effect on engine torque and output power are hardly noticed. Intake pipe length and diameter does not show a clear influence on specific fuel consumption and on engine thermal efficiency. Overall, intake pipes with long length and small diameter are recommended to improve engine performance at low engine speeds, while, for high engine speed, it is suggested the use of intake pipes with short length and large diameter.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
BTW: I've included a few pics below.

Here is a pic of your stock air intake with the top of the box removed. Nothing unusual. Just so folks know what it looks like that don't.
Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake Air Filters 4

Here is a pic of the inside of your stock intake, with the air filter removed. Look at the opening at the top. This is where the air comes into the intake.
Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake Air Filters 5

Here is the hole where the air first comes into your intake box. There is a gap right in front of this hole where hot air can enter. The radiator fan can blow hot air right up to this point without restriction. While moving, it should do a bit better.
Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake Stock Intake 3

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake Stock Intake 2

Last edited:
OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I stopped by a local warehouse where I always use the parts to make my intakes at. Verocious Motorsports I usually go about making the intake in their parking lot, heading back and forth in and piecing things together.

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake Verocious Motorsports 3

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake Verocious Motorsports 1

This not not the air filter I had in mind. It was the only air filter they had in stock that would fit the Mishimoto maf sensor so I picked it up. So today, I only picked up a silicon coupler to connect the inlet pipe to the Mishimoto maf sensor housing. And I picked up an air filter to fit the maf sensor housing itself. If this works, I'll go ridiculous and get an air filter that will cover the whole length of that open space you see in the pic below. That's just how I do. Restriction from an air filter is one thing I will not have any concerns over.

BTW: The part numbers for the pieces I picked up are~~~>
Verocious Motorsports

VMSRED4P-225275-BLK
Verocious Boost Proof Silicone Hose Reducer 4 Ply Polyester - 2.25" X 2.75" ID X 3" Long Black

VIBFILC-275
1923c
Vibrant "Open Funnel" Performance Air Filter - 2.75" ID inlet X 5" OD X 5" High (6.38" OAL)

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake Verocious Motorsports 2

I know the air filter is close to the front of the car and could possibly rub.
Also know there is no support for the intake itself.
And a whole bunch of other stuff. That's cool!

I'm just doing this for personal testing to see how a short ram/CAI performs. 1/4 mile time and more important 1/4 mile trap speed is what I'm interested in. 60ft time as well (Throttle response will hopefully improve and a little bit of low end torque). Who knows! Who cares! This stuff is fun to me. Just sharing!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Toying around with the Myxal SRI-CAI, the length is a little bit short for the maf sensor plug to plug into it. I did manage to get the plug to extend a little further but it's still not close enough. I'll take the time time figure out how to extend my intake out just a little further tomorrow so I can connect it up. My days seem to fly by as I am working on this before I go to work each day.

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake Mitsimoto Maf Sensor 3

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake Mitsimoto Maf Sensor 4

**Wildcard Intake** In the meantime, I will make up a contraption to fit this ridiculous looking huge PRM air filter onto the intake. All I need is a reducer, a 90 degree coupler and a straight pipe or silicone hose. There's no space in this engine bay for wiggle room to do goofy stuff like this. It looks like I can route this towards the ground, on the side of the tranny. It'll be so ugly looking. :love::lol: The filter is clean btw. Cleaned it when doing some tests on my Honda Fit with it.

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake PRM

Last edited:
OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just read that the PRL Motorsports intake won't be shipping until at least the end of next week. There are still a couple of test and tuning sessions at the tracks coming up. One tomorrow at a local track. So gonna throw something together today in the next few hours. Need to find some way to extent the short ram piece so I can hook the maf sensor up. Since I'm off today, I have a little more time. Will see what contraption I can come up with. Heading out! o_O :D

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had a bunch of pictures with this all coming together but I didn't like how the box was sitting in the maf sensor area. The sensor itself is inside the box but the I didn't like the angle of it. So the CAI portion of this is on hold until I get the PRL Motorsports CAI. Then I will attempt to finish a Myxal CAI to compare to the PRL Motorsports CAI.

Remember, this isn't about looks but function. Just want to implement what I think are the pros of a Mishimito/Injen/K&N Short ram with the Pros of a PRL/Injen CAI. And test on a dragstrip.

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake CAI - 1

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake CAI - 2

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In the meantime, I did make a Myxal SRI. No different than the Mishimoto/K&N/Injen setup except I am going to leave the filter completely exposed to the elements. People have reported they felt they lost power and/or low end torque due to sucking in hot engine bay air. I want to see what this translates to on the dragstrip.

So I will be testing this tomorrow at Cecil County Dragway against the stock intake. Stock intake meaning stock filter, resonator, everything. Nothing changed! The filter is spotless. I know because I just checked. Heck...just got the car. There is a Test-n-Tune session tomorrow starting at 9am to 4pm.

1. I will start by testing the stock intake with two runs.
  2. Disconnect battery terminal.
  3. Install Myxal SRI and do two more runs.
  4. Disconnect battery terminal.
  5. Install stock intake and do two more runs.
  6. Go back to step 2 and repeat

Will see how it goes.

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake Myxal SRI - 1

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake Myxal SRI - 2

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Currently at the track testing. In my haste to change out my stock air box, I pulled a little to hard and broke one of the screw connectors. It was loose but not fully screwed out. Oops! Be careful removing the stock air box. Pictures included.

I just re-installed the stock air box so the next two runs will be with the stock air box....ahem......modified. :fear:

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake 20171202_104332

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake 20171202_094612

FKSE7EN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 HatchBack Sport 6MT
Country flag
How much was the Mishimoto MAF housing?

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
No offense man but I don’t think this is going to go anywheres positive. Designing a good intake isn’t easy.

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How much was the Mishimoto MAF housing?
I never asked and my emailed invoice didn't have the price on it. On top of this, I had it overnighted. I paid $100. This isn't a reasonable price but considering I wanted it NOW for testing reasons and the fact I couldn't get one made it worth it for my testing.

I'd give them a call.

In other news, my stock box with the hole in it is my quickest time so far. Will run again with it soon then leaving for today (6 runs total). Will post up when I get home.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No offense man but I don’t think this is going to go anywheres positive. Designing a good intake isn’t easy.
It's a lot easier than you think. Been doing it for years and posting results. Turbo applications is something new to me though. The routing of the turbo inlet pipe over the turbo and that same pipe being attached to the turbo severely limits my options. I still don't like that turbo inlet pipe. Maybe something I toy with over the winter.

In the meantime, here are the results. All runs done with the transmission in 'D'. Track temperature was between 41F - 50F. I only did six runs as there were way more people who showed up to race than anticipated. Was surprised considering its December. Guess people were bored this weekend. Current mods are: PRL Downpipe, Ktuner Stage 2 (Basemap)

Time/Temp /60ft/ 1/4 mile time and mph / Type of Intake

9:30am / 41F / 2.246 / [email protected] / Stock Intake (Eco Mode - Oops) **At least now we know**
9:36am / 41F / 2.207 / [email protected] / Stock Intake
10:13am / 45F / 2.174 / [email protected] / Myxal SRI
10:24am / 45F / 2.221 / [email protected] / Myxal SRI
11:39am / 48F / 2.166 / [email protected] / Stock Intake (With Hole in it *Broken*)
1:05pm / 50F / 2.229 / [email protected] / Stock Intake (With Hole in it *Broken)

A short ram doesn't seem to be doing much. The short ram has a higher average trap speed...barely. I am still curious about the filter size though. I may be purchasing a much larger air filter to test. Not sure yet. Otherwise, this is all for now.

The car is a solid 13.9-14.0 car at the moment. 98.5-100mph trap speeds. Good to know this before doing further modifications.

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake 12-2-17 Timesli

Last edited:
OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Been thinking about the tests today. I'm not fully convinced on the Myxal SRI's performance. I have no experience with Vibrant air filters. It was the only one available so I picked it up at the shop. Was looking around the internet for a bit to see what's the history on Vibrant air filters. Then read threads like these....
Stock Air Box vs Vibrant Cone Air Filter
Air Filter Shootout

It doesn't do too bad actually. I still like to have a ridiculous surface area of my air filters though, just in case it is in any way .00000001% restrictive. Just a pet peeve of mine. So....I just ordered an air filter that I'm familar with. S&B air filter. Same style as the Vibrant one I'm using but it is 3" longer (8" total vs 5" length of the Vibrant filter). I should have this sometime next week hopefully.

I will be comparing the Myxal SRI with the Vibrant air filter and then with the larger S&B air filter.

Greencobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic Si 2016 Mazda CX-9
Been thinking about the tests today. I'm not fully convinced on the Myxal SRI's performance. I have no experience with Vibrant air filters. It was the only one available so I picked it up at the shop. Was looking around the internet for a bit to see what's the history on Vibrant air filters. Then read threads like these....
Stock Air Box vs Vibrant Cone Air Filter
Air Filter Shootout

It doesn't do too bad actually. I still like to have a ridiculous surface area of my air filters though, just in case it is in any way .00000001% restrictive. Just a pet peeve of mine. So....I just ordered an air filter that I'm familar with. S&B air filter. Same style as the Vibrant one I'm using but it is 3" longer (8" total vs 5" length of the Vibrant filter). I should have this sometime next week hopefully.

I will be comparing the Myxal SRI with the Vibrant air filter and then with the larger S&B air filter.
IDK mr myx. Sounds like you're doing a lot of work for a little gain. It's good though that you're doing it and posting the results. Saves others time.

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
IDK mr myx. Sounds like you're doing a lot of work for a little gain. It's good though that you're doing it and posting the results. Saves others time.
No problem! I've always enjoyed this type of stuff anyways. I never did post up what happened after I purchased the larger air filter. The size of it was perfect. The problem was that the maf sensor housing moved closer to the turbo inlet pipe. Which is fine except that the maf sensor plug wire wasn't long enough to reach the maf sensor itself. I liked the setup but couldn't find a way to extend the maf sensor wire itself. So I was stuck then the tracks closed. I may end up completing this if I find a way to extend the maf sensor plug wiring. Then I'll make a ghetto box to house the filter and route a hose/pipe to a location to pull in cold air. And heat tape wrap the whole thing.

I may compare the results of this at a track to the PRL CAI I have in my garage. I'll update if/when I get around to this. My $$$ is on my homemade SRI/CAI though. :lol:

Just checked to see if an extender exists and it looks like they do. I just need to find one for our application.
Maf Sensor Wire Extender

Maf Sensor Extenders
Sponsored

Last edited: