D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatch Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Keep up the good work Myx.

What did you use for the grill to your home made intake box. The funnel thing and where did you get it from?

Thanks.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Keep up the good work Myx.

What did you use for the grill to your home made intake box. The funnel thing and where did you get it from?

Thanks.
Didn't mean to mislead with the pic of the yellow car with the intake. That was my Honda Fit. Just giving a demonstration on what's possible. The grill was a J's Racing Japan spec grill, which did not fit the U.S. Spec Fits properly. I got it on just enough to make it usable.

I'd like to use the stock Honda Civic's intake area over the grill the same way though. The engineers have to have used it due to it being a high pressure area. So it may be possible that I do the same. The PRL CAI piece is just convenient though.

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Given you're going to make the effort, why not eliminate the run over top over the turbo and run a CAI directly to the turbo inlet? Something like this Acuity intake, albeit with a MAF and emissions plumbing: https://www.civicx.com/threads/rv6-...e-r-downpipe-options.23611/page-9#post-435886
Thought of this originally and planned on doing that right after I purchased the car. Until I found out why all the intake manufacturers started their intakes off of the turbo inlet pipe. The turbo inlet pipe is connected to the turbocharger itself. They are both a part of the same assembly.
Honda Turbo Assembly/Intake

If it was that simple, I would've had this done some 2-3 weeks after purchasing my car. I hate that piece being on there but it is what it is. Unless, I purchase an aftermarket turbo but I remind myself that I am driving a CVT

Actually, here is the thread I made when I was trying to remove this piece to get started on making an intake.
Intake Design Piece

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
So it looks like you'd have to hack up that assembly, or fab a short pipe connecting turbo out to intercooler pipe. Regardless, a much bigger PITA than replacing the Type R's simple J-pipe.

Reactions: Myx

Ghosted

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatch Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi Myx,
Could we some how retro the Type R air dam duct into ours?

Anyone know the Honda OEM part number air duct below, so we can look up specs?

Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake upload_2018-8-14_13-27-11

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Ghosted

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatch Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi Myx,
I trying to see, if this would help you in your build some how? But thanks.

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi Myx,
I trying to see, if this would help you in your build some how? But thanks.
Oh wow, thanks! I appreciate it man. My bad on the misunderstanding. I already have the main piece I need for testing. I'll be rigging up a ghetto box on my next day off which should be on Friday. Worked 88hrs last week and family took up all my time. This week may be 72hrs but I may get lucky on Friday when my shift switches. :crazy::D The Type R piece could be made to work but it'd move the Myxal box inward too far and also curve the intake inwards as well. Not sure what it looks like with the rest of the Type R intake. Will take a look as well as with their aftermarket options. Thanks again!

Also, working on getting datalogs to get my race maf calibrated in between all of this. Will make it happen though.

BTW: I will be using the larger piece on the right on the bottom side of the Myxal airbox. This will be connected to the PRL Cobra CAI part that goes down to the foglight. It's 4" in diameter. The same diameter as the PRL cold air piece.
Honda Civic 10th gen Myxal SRI-CAI -Short Ram-Cold Air Intake Myxal Box Air Portals

Last edited:

Ghosted

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatch Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi Myx,
Good work. I'm following this thread. Do you have a link to the 2 plastic piece shown just above?

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Last edited:

maddmatt02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic ex-t 2016 crv lx 2001 accord ex 1997 integra gs
Country flag
just got done reading all this and got a ? for ya on your straw analogy. is the pipe running to the fog light the only path for air to enter your box? because you have a short straw into a box, and breathing in and out would be easier because of the large volume in the box slower to change pressure but then if the air was only flowing in one direction, you basically put yourself back to a long straw because once the box is under vacuum then the box now has to draw its air from the remainder of the system making effectively one single long straw again.

Also, you ran the PRL cobra race as delivered by PRL yet? wondering if you thought it felt any different than the street.

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
just got done reading all this and got a ? for ya on your straw analogy. is the pipe running to the fog light the only path for air to enter your box? because you have a short straw into a box, and breathing in and out would be easier because of the large volume in the box slower to change pressure but then if the air was only flowing in one direction, you basically put yourself back to a long straw because once the box is under vacuum then the box now has to draw its air from the remainder of the system making effectively one single long straw again.
We think on the same page. It 'should' make it in effect a long straw, despite enlarging the center portion. That is why I posed the question in the PRL Race Maf Riddle. With the race maf and included silicone tubing, the only thing that changes from the normal PRL Cobra CAI is the larger size of the maf sensor housing and the larger silicone tubing that connects the maf sensor to the turbo inlet piping. With this being the only change of the PRL race maf part, there were gains on their dyno plot, despite pulling air from the same 4" size Cobra CAI piece to the foglight. See what I mean?

So if enlarging this section a little bit with the larger maf and larger silicone transition tubing shows gains of hp on their dyno, why not make this section even bigger by connecting the race maf to the turbo inlet pipe and a big arse filter on it, enclosed in the biggest box you can? Then connect the enclosed box to the PRL CAI tubing going down to the foglight. That's one reason why I chose to go this direction. Another is that I read it is always better for topend to shorten the intake air pipe and enlarge it as big as possible to help with turbo spooling.

Also, you ran the PRL cobra race as delivered by PRL yet? wondering if you thought it felt any different than the street.

I'm working on having a calibration file for the race maf. I won't run with it installed otherwise.

Last edited:

maddmatt02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic ex-t 2016 crv lx 2001 accord ex 1997 integra gs
Country flag
We think on the same page. It 'should' make it in effect a long straw, despite enlarging the center portion. That is why I posed the question in the PRL Race Maf Riddle. With the race maf and included silicone tubing, the only thing that changes from the normal PRL Cobra CAI is the larger size of the maf sensor housing and the larger silicone tubing that connects the maf sensor to the turbo inlet piping. With this being the only change of the PRL race maf part, there were gains on their dyno plot, despite pulling air from the same 4" size Cobra CAI piece to the foglight. See what I mean?

So if enlarging this section a little bit with the larger maf and larger silicone transition tubing, why not make this section even bigger by connecting the race maf to the turbo inlet pipe and a big arse filter on it, enclosed in the biggest box you can? Then connect the enclosed box to the PRL CAI tubing going down to the foglight. That's one reason why I chose to go this direction. Another is that I read it is always better for topend to shorten the intake air pipe and enlarge it as big as possible to help with turbo spooling.

I'm working on having a calibration file for the race maf. I won't run with it installed otherwise.
I just now remembered only the si guys got the love with the race maf calibration...

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just now remembered only the si guys got the love with the race maf calibration...
The love is coming! I'm on my 4th calibration now while working with Ktuner. Car is running EXCELLENT. Stay tuned and keep ya'll fingers crossed. :) I'll probably be hitting the track in September to do some comparison runs by changing intakes at the track.
Sponsored