jiantan1

First Name
Jian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
I was installing Noico and noticed this plastic box in the door panel. It seems to have no function. First cynical thought was that it was a resonance box purposely installed to increase door/wind noise to make the civic worse than say, the accord. The hopeful thought was that it somehow tunes the speaker to the left of it in the picture. I'm doubtful since it's plastic. I have half a mind to rip it off but am wary that it serves some odd purpose. No wires go in or out of it. There is nothing inside. Any ideas?
Honda Civic 10th gen Mystery plastic box behind door panels? 6ncsCqE

Honda Civic 10th gen Mystery plastic box behind door panels? mHwgmTW

Last edited:

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Maybe just an additional buffer to keep the two panels from caving into each other? Is there one inside all the doors?

OP
OP

jiantan1

First Name
Jian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Maybe just an additional buffer to keep the two panels from caving into each other? Is there one inside all the doors?
The picture is representative of the front two doors. I forgot to really notice the rear doors though. That's possible though it's in the structurally stiffest part of the panel, the corner between two walls.

Homer2556

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Touring sedan (mine), '12 Ody Touring Elite (the wife's)
Country flag
I'm thinking @Drake has the right idea. That's usually where people push on the door with their foot to open it. Would minimize cracking of the panel.

Axatax

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
In Malkuth, surrounded by evil, low on gas.
Vehicle(s)
2K Civic DX Coupe B18C5 (swap), 2017 Civic LX Coupe 6MT
Country flag
I'm thinking @Drake has the right idea. That's usually where people push on the door with their foot to open it. Would minimize cracking of the panel.
If someone tried to open my door like that, I'd break their legs.

crxFITcivicBOY

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Don’t rip it off. I don’t work for Honda, but I do work for another OEM. I don’t know what that part does, but the trim on the door is actually part of the crash safety system in a car. It could be a small spacer to provide energy absorption in the event of a crash. You’d be surprised how small things can have a benefit in the event of an impact. If you don’t need it off, leave it alone lol.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

OP
OP

jiantan1

First Name
Jian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Don’t rip it off. I don’t work for Honda, but I do work for another OEM. I don’t know what that part does, but the trim on the door is actually part of the crash safety system in a car. It could be a small spacer to provide energy absorption in the event of a crash. You’d be surprised how small things can have a benefit in the event of an impact. If you don’t need it off, leave it alone lol.
Reading that makes me glad I didn't pull it off.

69L46Vert

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SI Coupe, 2003 Civic DX, 1977 CJ5, 1969 Corvette, 1954 GMC 100, 2018 Toyota 4Runner, 1965 Volkswagen Beetle
Country flag
I have an 03 Civic and it has the same thing in the doors.

PEPSIFLAME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Reading that makes me glad I didn't pull it off.
Why would you have pulled it off anyway? With things like that, if they put it there, it's for a reason.

OP
OP

jiantan1

First Name
Jian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Why would you have pulled it off anyway? With things like that, if they put it there, it's for a reason.
Only if people here reinforced the idea that it's to increase road noise. I find its design a little suspicious. It's attached to the panel with 3 plastic welds. But oddly, there is this spot lifted from the panel which would cause vibrations. Honda knew this and inserted a block of foam to dampen it (you can barely make out the foam in the photo) but I suspect it will still resonate a little. Id be curious to see what an accord panel looks like.

civicls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 18' Odyssey Elite, 07' Sienna
Country flag
Engineers aren't that bored to place plastic boxes in door panels, each of these parts have a function, and that little box certainly does too.

I hope you were joking about the resonance thing :hmm::rofl:
Sponsored