Mystery holes in the car

Peyole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
I’ve been wondering for a while the exact purpose of the sets of holes above the map lights and the ones next to the sunroof control in the ceiling panel of the car as well as next to the steering wheel. I assume one of them is a microphone, and the oval lights up blue when the headlights turn on (Unless it also shows something additional), but I do not know the exact layout, nor what those holes are for next to the Start Ignition button. Thanks.

Honda Civic 10th gen Mystery holes in the car IMG_0494.JPG
Honda Civic 10th gen Mystery holes in the car IMG_0495.JPG

GAVZDAD

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
so say we all
It's just an air opening to help keep the electronics in the dash cooler. Kind of a heat vent, but not really. Bad explanation, but anyway, there are probably a few more in spots. I haven't checked, so I'm not totally sure.

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
The slots beneath the start button is a temperature sensor for the auto HVAC. The slots above the lights are your bluetooth microphone and the holes beside the sunroof control were the bluetooth microphone on older Hondas but it's just a dummy now. Blue lamp is a courtesy lamp.

Read your owners manual please.

OP
OP

Peyole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
Newflyer3,

I did read the manual, but I do not remember seeing reference to what holes were for what. I know the sensors exist, but was curious which went where. Just curiosity to the exact locations seems like a valid question. I apologize if you felt otherwise.

D Money

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What about the little circular hole that shines blue? What is that?

HondaSean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Accord EX
Country flag
I could be wrong but my Accord has some similar cutouts near the map lights that are used for part of the active noise canceling system.

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
If all else fails just think of it as accent lighting Honda decided to put in it for the lols. I remember when it first debuted on the '07 CR-V people though it was a barcode reader or a UV light emitter. Don't over analyze it

D Money

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It helps shine light on objects you would place in the cupholders. It's a really dim light.
I tested it at night. I turned down my interior lights and put my hand in front of the blue light. It's like for subtle ambiance or something because it doesn't really illuminate anything

goodra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T sedan
Country flag
I tested it at night. I turned down my interior lights and put my hand in front of the blue light. It's like for subtle ambiance or something because it doesn't really illuminate anything
I had an Acura TL that had a blue light in the same location as the Civic, but the TL's light was a lot brighter and actually illuminates objects in the center. Not sure why they made the light so dim for the Civic..

17EXTCoupe

First Name
Geoffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EXT coupe 1998 T100 4x4
The little blue light in the middle of the sunroof controls is the bluetooth indicator. When it turns on your bluetooth is enabled

ElementalHonda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Coupe, 2010 Accord Crosstour, 2008 Civic LX Coupe(Totaled), 2005 Acura TL(Sold), 1996 Accord EX Coupe
Country flag
The little blue light in the middle of the sunroof controls is the bluetooth indicator. When it turns on your bluetooth is enabled
My bluetooth is disabled and the light still is on. Its a courtesy illumination light. My 2005 TL had the same exact light in the same location. It's supposed to dimly illuminate the center console area as to not be a distraction at night. But it is super dim in the civic compared to my old TL.

jessieomc

First Name
Jess
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Coupe
Country flag
That little blue light is red in the models with sport trim. The dash cluster is also red in sport trims. This infuriates me. I chose the EXT trim for the options it had as opposed to the seemingly stripped down sport trim, and this mildly frustrates me on the regular. I wand red lights and I got blue. Would be a really cool thing if these colors could be changed as a setting to customize the interior.
Sponsored