Mystery dash rattle driving me crazy

civicdota

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T Sedan
Country flag
The transmission cable seems to be accessible from the top, I don't think you need ramps for this, easy and fast to check
My arms are too short :(. My transmission feels pretty sturdy so I don't know if there's much I can do about it. I did, however, find that the washer jet cables rattled inside the hood. I've secured them so we'll see if that does anything.

Goseki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Touring
Country flag
I have a much more minor rattle. It's where the center speaker attaches to. When going over bumpy roads, I hear a little rattle. It goes away when I put my hands on the speaker edge so I'm guessing the seal just isn't good and it's causing the noise. Not sure how to fix it though...

OP
OP
SDSport6MT

SDSport6MT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport 6mt
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
OP did you get this resolved?
Sorry, I haven't heard back from dealers I have contacted which is weird. I am just going to have them look at it when I get the oil changed in a few hundred miles.

civicdota

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T Sedan
Country flag
Reporting back on something you guys might want to try. Like I mentioned in this thread or another, one of my rattles which sounds like loose plastic in the dash (same sound as the French speaking video posted recently) was very random so I'm not sure if this fixed it or not but I secured the washer fluid hoses under the hood and it might've done it.

1) Pop the hood, and bang right behind the spray nozzles lightly. If you hear a rattle that might be it.
2) Reach into the area where the felt liner slots in beside the nozzles, you'll feel a hose (get your girlfriend/wife/kids if your fingers are too big or pull the liner out at the slot).
3) Slide a small zip tie/wire/string into the small round hole right behind the nozzle and tie the hose down.
4) Check if this fixes the rattle and report back.

I've highlighted the area where the hose runs and the hole where you can zip the the nozzle down. This is not my car, took it from google, should be another CivicX members.

Honda Civic 10th gen Mystery dash rattle driving me crazy upload_2018-9-15_11-27-50

civicdota

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T Sedan
Country flag
Alright didn't seem to fix it or there is another rattle somewhere else... The search continues.

Duncan

First Name
Duncan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 CVT
Post update if you find yours, I have a CVT that rattles at 1650-1850 (this is the RPM that everything in the car resonates the most for) on cooler days in the dash. Sounds like its coming near the middle behind console/radio but it's hard to tell. Couldn't figure it out for many months and it doesn't always happen which is the mind boggling part.
I also have this vibration/resonation issue on my 2018 1.5 CVT CIVIC at about 1600-1750 rpm.
The car is new.
The dealer says it's quite normal for rattles and as it only lasts for a few seconds so don't worry about it !!
They won't do anything....

I'm not happy

civicdota

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T Sedan
Country flag
I also have this vibration/resonation issue on my 2018 1.5 CVT CIVIC at about 1600-1750 rpm.
The car is new.
The dealer says it's quite normal for rattles and as it only lasts for a few seconds so don't worry about it !!

I'm not happy
That's ridiculous, if they can reproduce it they should attempt to fix it. If your problem is reproduce-able try another dealer.

sixhundredcc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' civic hatchback
Country flag
The car is new.

I'm not happy
I'm in the same boat. I'm on the second dealer. I've had the tech experience the noise driving and in park. They took my car in and couldn't fix it. They said the noise is doesn't last long enough for them to diagnose and attempt a repair. American Honda also is no help.

I will be getting rid of this car in probably a year from now. Will never buy another Honda again

OP
OP
SDSport6MT

SDSport6MT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport 6mt
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Latest update, dealer tech rode with me to duplicate the sound and heard it but they said they still would have to verify the source which could take a day assuming they even can. I’ve noticed the noise is more prominent on hot days or when the car is warm. If they do verify it is the core and replace it they would need to pull the whole dash out which is also a one to two day job. I might look into other ways to fix it but if it gets worse or more prominent I’m going back to the dealer.

civicdota

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T Sedan
Country flag
Thx for updates! Appreciate it, definitely an uphill battle on these rattles :(

sixhundredcc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' civic hatchback
Country flag
Latest update, dealer tech rode with me to duplicate the sound and heard it but they said they still would have to verify the source which could take a day assuming they even can. I’ve noticed the noise is more prominent on hot days or when the car is warm. If they do verify it is the core and replace it they would need to pull the whole dash out which is also a one to two day job. I might look into other ways to fix it but if it gets worse or more prominent I’m going back to the dealer.
Good luck, dealer replaced my heater core and I still have a dash rattle

airgas1998

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' civic touring sedan
Country flag
removing the dash will open up a whole different can of worms...ie; new rattles, poor fitment,etc....hope you have a very competent dealership...

OP
OP
SDSport6MT

SDSport6MT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport 6mt
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
removing the dash will open up a whole different can of worms...ie; new rattles, poor fitment,etc....hope you have a very competent dealership...
Exactly why I’m hesitant to attempt solving one issue and creating more!
Sponsored