Mysterious shaking steering wheel problem, unable to solve

snahfu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX base
Country flag
Hey, I have a mystery that I am unable to figure out.

I purchased a set of Michelin A/S 4 tires from Costco. Since the first day of putting on these new tires, the steering wheel was shaky when driving on bumpy roads. Must be my car so...

• replaced front and rear suspension (probably due for replacement anyway at 90k miles)
  • 2 wheel alignments (no issue found)
  • wheels balanced twice (no issue found), once on a road force hunter machine (also no issue found)
  • asked my mechanic to inspect for any bad tire rods / ball joints/ mounts.. (no issues found)
Yet I still have a shaky steering wheel! After almost crashing my car due to how unstable it is, I switch back to my old rims and beat up tires... and the problem disappears! So relieved that nothing is wrong with my car but now im left with expensive tires that I can not use. Anyone know whats going on?

My old set of tires / wheels are oem 17x7 honda rims. The new rims with the Michelin tires are oem 18x7.5 SI rims.
Sponsored

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
I switch back to my old rims and beat up tires... and the problem disappears!
You solved your own problem lol. You have a wheel or tire issue. Either a bent wheel or a flat-spotted/irregular wear tire.

OP
OP

snahfu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX base
Country flag
That's what I thought but after 2 balances (3 if I include the free balance they did when I bought the tires), they all have said nothing is wrong.

I specifically asked if there are any irregularities in the tire or if the rim is bent.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Maybe they are directional tires and they are mounted backwards. Happened to me once with the same symptoms.

OP
OP

snahfu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX base
Country flag
Maybe they are directional tires and they are mounted backwards. Happened to me once with the same symptoms.
Hi calonzo, they are listed as asymmetric

OP
OP

snahfu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX base
Country flag
Have you tried switching front tires to the back, and back to front? If that improves it, then it has to be one of the new tires that is bad.

Thank you! Definitely going to try this out on Saturday.

xcivicx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI coupe in black
Country flag
costco should take them back just on your say so. for any reason.

had what you describe on a set of cheapo's from discount tire, they took em right back no hasstle. costo should be same.

OP
OP

snahfu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX base
Country flag
costco should take them back just on your say so. for any reason.

Thanks, I will try to ask. I'm worried since its been 7-8 months since I bought the tires so I think its already past the return period.

I never asked for a refund since I really thought I could diagnose the issue, especially after the suspension change & alignments.

I also do not have any proof the tires are at fault since no one said they saw any problems with them.

JohnnyL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Coupe EX
Country flag
I would go to a Michelin dealer and or contact Michelin. It's got to be a defective tire. Are you using a ring to keep the wheel centered on the hub? If the wheel hole is to big for the hub you need a ring to fill in the gap so the wheel stays centered.

yansag1982

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
if you're really dedicated you could try them 1 at a time in the front and try to find which wheel is bad...