My Type R is Officially 1 Year Old - some reflections!

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Today marks the 1 year anniversary of owning my Type R. For me, it is also the one year anniversary of driving a manual transmission.

It has really been one hell of an adventure owning this car. I made a huge gamble when I decided to move forward with such a big purchase. I really did not have a fallback plan, but I didn’t think I would need one. I was determined to drive this car, no matter what it took.

This is the first year I can say definitively that I have no plans on trading in my car. I have formed a special bond with this car, and not only is it something that serves as a monument to my achievements, it is something that brings me great joy when I am behind the wheel of it. I am a proud owner of my car, as I’m sure many of you are too.

I can’t say that my journey was all smooth sailing, because it wasn’t. I really struggled with learning how to drive a manual transmission, and in the beginning I was questioning my decision to buy this car. I am thankful that I have a good father who was able to teach me my mistakes and accompany me as I practiced driving until I was comfortable enough to take it to work myself. Fast forward 11 months and now I don’t even think or worry about stalling, and I have finally seen why manual transmissions are so special. I don’t confess to be called skilled at driving stick either - I still think my launches are too jerky and my shifts are as well, although I am slowly getting smoother as I drive on.

With that said, I am extremely thankful for all the members and owners here on this forum for supporting me, helping me, and putting up with all my questions on what I was doing wrong. This forum is a gem, and I’m glad to be a member here as well. Hopefully you enjoy my contributions too!

Anyone who is considering buying this car - you will not be disappointed. If you don’t know a thing about driving stick, do it anyways. I think the best way to learn is to force yourself to do it, and if you’re like me and don’t have another form of transportation, well you better learn!

13,500 or so miles later and she still drives like she did when I first got her. We’ll find out in due time how well she will hold up with all the mistakes I’ve made, but I don’t see any reason to worry now. What I know is that I am excited to see what the second year brings and spending more time pushing my car harder and harder to unlock its true potential.

Thank you all - it’s been an amazing year, and I’m sure the next one is going to be even better!!:beer:

Honda Civic 10th gen My Type R is Officially 1 Year Old - some reflections! A06DC796-61EC-4476-A0FE-CD418E0EAC51

Honda Civic 10th gen My Type R is Officially 1 Year Old - some reflections! 5C13A0BF-13ED-496E-BB9D-F8885F264B9E

keatonS

2016 Civic EX-T 1.5L CVT
First Name
Keaton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T 1.5L CVT
Country flag
Im in the same boat as you, waiting a while before pulling the trigger but havent drove a manual for a long time, need to get back to learning

bobafettm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lotus Exige; 2018 & 2021 Honda Type R
Country flag
13.5k?? Need to step that game up ;) April to March for me and it's nearly 22k!

Glad you still love to drive the vehicle. I agree it's by far the most practical and enjoyable vehicle I've ever owned.

8409_CW

First Name
Kabir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR, 1992 Civic HB
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Nice, I just hit my one year mark recently too and I'm just over 11k. :) Power of Dreams!

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
Today marks the 1 year anniversary of owning my Type R. For me, it is also the one year anniversary of driving a manual transmission.

Anyone who is considering buying this car - you will not be disappointed. If you don’t know a thing about driving stick, do it anyways. I think the best way to learn is to force yourself to do it, and if you’re like me and don’t have another form of transportation, well you better learn!
Thank you all - it’s been an amazing year, and I’m sure the next one is going to be even better!!:beer:
Zeffy: As your only car and the pics show you still have the original wheels and tires(?) plus your location I was wondering how gracefully you got through winter with this set-up? BTW congrats!

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
congrats. I still remember the MT thread you first created lol.

I really need to take mine out for a drive more. it's such a fun car.

OP
OP
Zeffy94

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Zeffy: As your only car and the pics show you still have the original wheels and tires(?) plus your location I was wondering how gracefully you got through winter with this set-up? BTW congrats!
I am actually running Continental DWS 06 A/S tires on the OEM rims with a 245/35/20 size. They fit without issue, only a small speedo difference. Since the weather is warming up I am going to be changing to a set of summer tires again probably in the next month or two, depending on temperatures.

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
I am actually running Continental DWS 06 A/S tires on the OEM rims with a 245/35/20 size. They fit without issue, only a small speedo difference. Since the weather is warming up I am going to be changing to a set of summer tires again probably in the next month or two, depending on temperatures.
...and the Continentals got you through the snow ok?

OP
OP
Zeffy94

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
...and the Continentals got you through the snow ok?
So long as you know what you are doing they will do the job.

Anything cool in that thing from Honda? Or is it literally just that - a note?
Just a card, with a sweet little note on the inside and a personalized web page URL that shows you things like owners manual, VIN number, etc.

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
Congrats and glad you made the leap, learning a manual really isn't all that bad. After a week or two I assume it was pretty easy to you?

FifStreet

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 PMM Civic Type R '07 MR Fit Sport (RIP)
Country flag
Well said sir. The CTR is my first ever manual car too. I love the car.. and I love this forum as well. Lots of helpful people here.

I'm not crying, you're crying!

OP
OP
Zeffy94

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Congrats and glad you made the leap, learning a manual really isn't all that bad. After a week or two I assume it was pretty easy to you?
More like a month or two before I felt like I wouldn’t stall at least once per commute. I am glad I made the leap though, and looking back at it I think I just over complicated things which made it more difficult for me to learn.

diakonia

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type-R, Accord, CRV
Country flag
Congratulations! I just hit one year in January (8000 mikes)... And thanks to you, I followed your recomendation and bought the same Continental DWS AS tires. The 35 profile has been great. Now when I hit minor potholes, etc. it is much more forgiving. And a big thanks because I can now drive my car any day I want no matter how cold it is. I used to have to schedule my CTR drive time per the days temperature. FREEDOM! I only wish I would have bought these tires on day 2. Alan

OP
OP
Zeffy94

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Congratulations! I just hit one year in January (8000 mikes)... And thanks to you, I followed your recomendation and bought the same Continental DWS AS tires. The 35 profile has been great. Now when I hit minor potholes, etc. it is much more forgiving. And a big thanks because I can now drive my car any day I want no matter how cold it is. I used to have to schedule my CTR drive time per the days temperature. FREEDOM! I only wish I would have bought these tires on day 2. Alan
Yeah these tires are great, when I get summers put back on I might just continue with 245/35/20 mainly because I feel like that extra sidewall has already saved my ass more than once on the cratered Pennsylvania and New Jersey roads.

Also for the person above asking about mileage, I put in 13,525 miles (not sure what that is in km)
Sponsored